Champ(Champion Labs) filter = made in China?

STP extended life filters are made in China by Premium Guard. Champ is made in the US in Ohio. If you don’t agree, call them. I did
I apologize, I miss spoke. They are made in Southern Illinois not Ohio. I’ve been on the phone with them today for another matter at work. Side note, from what I here they are getting the Fram line back because of their resent change in ownership.

I apologize, I miss spoke. They are made in Southern Illinois not Ohio. I’ve been on the phone with them today for another matter at work. Side note, from what I here they are getting the Fram line back because of their resent change in ownership.
ChampLabs making FRAM filters? (an abomination of abominations)

Most of Champ stuff is made in Albion, Illinois. High volume FRAM stuff made in Greenville, Ohio. A lot of it is likely to move south of the border soon. Autolite has been making most of their plugs in Mexicali for a while now, at least a decade, after they closed their Fostoria, Ohio plant. Most of low volume stuff and fuel filters come from east Asia and Mexico. Champ, FRAM, Autolite, Raybestos and some others...all owned by First Brands.

Lil’ off topic but my work has been using Auto Extra stuff since mid 2018. They then were made in USA, since late this spring all their filters except cartridge filters are made in China. We have had Zero issues with them.

We used thousands of Chmpion Labs filters for years, never a single issue

Most of Champ stuff is made in Albion, Illinois. High volume FRAM stuff made in Greenville, Ohio. A lot of it is likely to move south of the border soon. Autolite has been making most of their plugs in Mexicali for a while now, at least a decade, after they closed their Fostoria, Ohio plant. Most of low volume stuff and fuel filters come from east Asia and Mexico. Champ, FRAM, Autolite, Raybestos and some others...all owned by First Brands.
Sorry to hear that. The “race to the bottom” continues at warp speed. I was never impressed with Autolite anyway, but Champ & Fram have been industry leaders, esp. since Mann bought Wix from Affinia.

I run them in my Cruze and bought some for my sons 200k+ cobalt. They look the same as an AC Delco and for less than $2 each you cant beat them with a big stick. Would I run them on a brand new expensive vehicle ? Prob not but they are plenty good enough for a short change interval on a beater car.

A lot of hay being made over a jobber brand and jobber filter.
Well, First Brands has already changed the Ultra to a non-extended OCI filter, so it was inevitable they would continue to cheapen everything else. Champion Labs isn't all jobber, they have built great filters in the past (Imperial XL, classic synthetic AC Delco UPF filters, original Mobil 1, etc.). Didn't Fram make the original, beloved A01 Honda filters? I'm sure those are already long gone...

Well, First Brands has already changed the Ultra to a non-extended OCI filter, so it was inevitable they would continue to cheapen everything else.
The new Ultra is still rated at up to 20K miles. If Fram knew it couldn't do that long of an OCI they wouldn't claim it can.

That is disputed.
What/where is the proof ... and by who? Until someone can independantly prove with testing that it's not capable of up to 20K miles then I'll have to believe what Fram states.

I'm pretty sure we (community) has established that a wire backed synthetic media is best, and anything less is cost cutting.

I'm pretty sure we (community) has established that a wire backed synthetic media is best, and anything less is cost cutting.
Based on what ... feelings? 😄 Until someone runs an independent official ISO 4548-12 test to prove it's not as good as it use to be then it's all just opinions with nothing to back it up. ;)

Yeah, I must have missed that ? I read a bunch of anecdotal opinions but never saw any REAL proof of the assertions.

Seeing the usual Chinese construction I bet they also are using Chinese made machinery. Makes matters even worse, but who am I to judge?
The filter companies say UP TO 20k. If an engine is putting 10 grams of dirt in the oil per 1000 miles, and the filter capacity is 25 grams it will be kaput in 2500 miles.

The onus is on the company. They have to ensure that no matter where the product is made it meets the same quality standards.

Here is a link to Denso and their QA process to keep everyone on the same page.

Seeing the usual Chinese construction I bet they also are using Chinese made machinery. Makes matters even worse, but who am I to judge?
The filter companies say UP TO 20k. If an engine is putting 10 grams of dirt in the oil per 1000 miles, and the filter capacity is 25 grams it will be kaput in 2500 miles.
And if the filter is rated upto 5K miles, then that's only 625 miles. If an engine is putting out 1 g/100 mi then the filter is worth more than the engine. :D

Back