Motorcycle cost per mile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
45 miles, one way, to work. 75% if not more is 50+mph; have of it is highway. Backroads would be further. Scooter is out.

Scooters are available in displacements up to 650cc, legal and viable for freeway travel.

Tires and chain on a lightweight commuter bike, like the new CBR250 or CRF230 and so on, will have ridiculously long service life compared to heavier, more powerful bikes.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: supton
45 miles, one way, to work. 75% if not more is 50+mph; have of it is highway. Backroads would be further. Scooter is out.

Scooters are available in displacements up to 650cc, legal and viable for freeway travel.

Yup. Suzuki Burgman 650 is nice and it'll have no problem with hwy speeds, alas it's only rated for 38 MPG. If I don't get an MPG benefit, I think I'd rather just get a regular 650cc bike.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Tires and chain on a lightweight commuter bike, like the new CBR250 or CRF230 and so on, will have ridiculously long service life compared to heavier, more powerful bikes.

I wish I could say the same about my 49cc moped's rear tire. I used up the rear tire in less than 2000 miles.

Interesting conversation. Yes, tires are 400 a set for me too and I average 45 mpg. The bike is paid for, taxes are cheap, and insurance is cheap. I get about 10K per set on a HD sportster. I have not set down and done the hard core math but I still like to ride and perhaps I dont want to know. I know it makes me feel better at the pump.

Seems like until you get to 500cc and under you dont see big mpg gains. I took a big ride a while back and my bike was under perfect conditions. My buddy was riding a Victory 106CI with his wife and bags, windshield ect... Big heavy bike two up. He got 51 mpg and I got 53. Mine is 1200cc by the way. Virtually, no difference.

In town and short tripping a motorcycle will shine over a car imo. I sometimes dip into the mid 30's but I know what my truck or Mustang would do under the same circumstances and neither are pretty.

I am riding the sportster more and more now with high gas prices and I dont see that slowing down. I see more and more scooters in my area also. I cant afford to trade so I just try to do what I can to save on gas the best I can and that even means trying to get the motorcycle to achieve the best that it can. Its pathetic we have come to this.

As others have said, never done the math because I already know the answer. Motorcycling, except in very limited (and unlikely) circumstances, is not a money-saving endeavor. My GS500 gets about 55 mpg but I'd have to replace an awful lot of my 27 mpg Saab's miles with it to cover the purchase cost, insurance, maintenance, gear, etc.

jeff

YOu know, I think it depends a lot on what else you have to drive. For me, a Gas sucking Gmc truck or Ford Mustang. The Mustang does better by the way but 25 or 26 is max on it. IN town, its a whole differerent animal. The truck is worse.

I cant afford to trade to a eco box. That makes no sense. So, I have to deal with what I have the best I can. This is why the Volt and other hybrids are a disaster. People cant afford them even with the goverment (tax payers) putting up 10K to do it. You cant make a business case for any of them. They make no sense.

It kills me at the pump even on my motorcycle. Gas is so high that I am glad my lawwmower only has 14 hp instead of 16 or 18. So sick of this.

My experience is that tires prices for a motorcycle cost about .04/mile vs .02/mile for a car.

My bike gets 43 mpg for .09/mile (.09 +.04=.13/mile)
A car getting 35mpg is the same as a bike when you include rubber but then comes the big deal breaker .... motorcycle maintenance. BMW motorcycles with parts and labor are higher cost and needed at greater frequency than any car I have owned.

Gear - good helmet, summer and cool weather boots, two jackets, riding pants, four sets of gloves for different weather, wool socks and longjohns, layers and maybe an electric vest .... I have about $2000 invested and use it all.

Don't forget the initial price of the vehicle. You can buy a used bike for $2000 or $10,000. Ya gotta figure that into your cost per mile. I think you need to look at that new $4000 Honda 250R at 60 mpg and compare it to the $15000 40mpg cars you can buy these days. You may get 200K miles out of the car without major work. That Honda may need to be replaced at 50K miles. I bought a used BMW motorcycle that needed a transmission rebuild and other work at 50K so I've been there. Cost wise, I think I'm still paying about .50/mile! No bargain. Fun ... yes! But bad for the finances.

The most cost effective commuter is probably an electric bicycle. There are some great motors, batteries and bicycle designs that carry a lot of gear well.

I wish I lived in a warmer climate and commuted shorter distances to work.

I'd think a non-electric bicycle would be best. Actually, two or three of them, since bicycles do still need their maintance. Sure, lubing the chain, fixing flats, all that is quick and easy--but it's still easier to do on the weekend.

Then again, calorie cost per mile, versus kWhr per mile... Electricity might will the dollars; but in terms of a) being able to eat whatever, since you'll burn it off, and b) being in thta much better shape over the years... that might tilt the field a bit! LOL

*sigh* It was nice in college, when I bicycle commuted. No fun in the rain, but I sure was in better shape, and never paid a dime for parking. Or insurance, or registration, or __.

I've been commuting by push bike for over 4 years - free bike, the only cost has been 2 tyres. Biggest advantage is getting home on friday night after a few beers at work. You can still be charged if over the limit on a push bike, but it's hardly likely to happen. I've only crashed once - and yes, speed and alcohol were involved....

Honda Helix?

250cc liquid cooled engine good for about 75 MPH and 65-70 MPG. These have been known to go over 100,000 miles before a rebuild. They are no longer made but you can find low mileage used ones in the $2000-3000 range.

helix-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back