Motorcraft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and this is only my 2nd Post.

I always use the recommended Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter on my 1997 T-Bird(4.6L V8), and the car has 80,000 miles. Is it a good choice?(I've noticed nothing bad, but I'm not an expert, so I don't know if there's a better filter I can use or should use..and if so, what do you recommend? or should I just stay with the FL-820S?)

Would appreciate your feedback/answers.
PS/ I drive about 160 miles a week at ca. 60 mph, change oil every 3K, do not race/drive hard, and live in Tennessee)

So long as you avoid Fram oil filters, don't worry too much about it. Motorcraft, Wix, Hastings, Baldwin, & AC-Delco are all good quality, reasonably priced choices. Even the Wally-World SuperTech filters(black ones better than blue) are OK.

For your type of driving w/3K oil changes, it sounds like you could use any good quality 10w30 (or 10w40 for all but coldest part of year), whatever filter you like, & oil-wise, your engine should live a long healthy life. Your PennZoil 10w30 & Motorcraft FL-820s sounds like an excellent combination. If you want some extra cold weather pumpability, maybe use PZ 5w30 for the winter. Or just stick with 10w30 year-round.

Motorcraft aftermarket filters are made by Purolator and are top notch from a construction standpoint. However, there are Champion made filters out there (SuperTech and STP) which offer slightly better filtration and greater flow, and they are less expensive than Motorcraft. (NB: Motorcraft OEM filters are made by Champion.)

Tough to find a filter for less than the Motorcraft at 2.97 a crack at Wal-Mart. The filter is a fine choice for the engine. It is a Purolator unit that is solidly constructed.

Yup, our 97 Lariat (4.6L F-150) has close to 200,000 miles on it w/ nothing but the FL-820S. The 4.6L does not wear out if properly maintained.

[ June 01, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back