Motorcraft price increase

Does anyone know why or noticed that motorcraft oil filters have almost tripped in price? Stopped at my local Walmart and a fl-820s that usually cost around 4 bucks went up to 11.00. Went on Amazon and bought them for 3.97 a piece then today I looked on Amazon and they are 10.99. I've always liked and used motorcraft filters cause they're a good filter for the price but after this I might as well buy a filter with synthetic media for around the same price.

In my observation, WM and Amazon regularly play the price match game with each other. Here, I'm seeing WM $3.97 with online purchase, for in store stock pick up. Quite possible, in store purchase price more. Seen it before. I expect either WM to increase price, or Amazon to drop back. More likely the former.

As noted, everything has gone up.

Does anyone know why or noticed that motorcraft oil filters have almost tripped in price? Stopped at my local Walmart and a fl-820s that usually cost around 4 bucks went up to 11.00. Went on Amazon and bought them for 3.97 a piece then today I looked on Amazon and they are 10.99. I've always liked and used motorcraft filters cause they're a good filter for the price but after this I might as well buy a filter with synthetic media for around the same price.
Hi young81,
It may be time to say arrivederci to Motorcraft and welcome in a Fram Extra Guard at $4.19 or Tough Guard at $7.17!
Both have very good performance specs, cellulose/synthetic blend media and readily available at WalMart. I use Tough Guards for the 15K miles life and 99% efficiency at 20 microns.

They show up as $3.97 at my local Wal-Mart, in stock. This is the website price but I doubt the in-store price is any different.

The FL-400S is $8.36 which is wierd.

Hi young81,
It may be time to say arrivederci to Motorcraft and welcome in a Fram Extra Guard at $4.19 or Tough Guard at $7.17!
Both have very good performance specs, cellulose/synthetic blend media and readily available at WalMart. I use Tough Guards for the 15K miles life and 99% efficiency at 20 microns.
I haven't bought a fram in years but I think you're right.

They were 4 bucks forever, a great deal, then they disappeared from Wally's for quite a while. Recently they were back in store but closer to 6 dollars when I saw them.

I don't understand Wally's one price in store and another on line, even if you pick it up from the store where it's sitting on the shelf marked higher than on line. There must be a reason but after 9 years in mass merchandising and 17 in online retail I have no idea what it is.

Motorcraft has changed suppliers for oil filters recently so that may have something to do with it. However, I just removed the OEM filter from my Mustang in June, built in February, and it was still obviously a Purolater built FL-910S equivalent so I'm not sure where the parts chain is.

I've moved away from Motorcrafts due to efficiency and price, I find the Frams a better value for the most part, especially if you value efficiency (which I do).

Maybe Walmart is in the process of showing their supplier what its like when they dont give Walmart a good deal.

you can make 20 cents a filter and sell a million of them or you can make 5 dollars per filter and sell 50 of them. :)

They had a significant price increase to dealers a couple months ago. It averaged 30-40% depending on the filter pretty much overnight. Not just oil filters too. We have some regular gas fuel filters that are almost $90 now.

Motorcraft has changed suppliers for oil filters recently so that may have something to do with it. However, I just removed the OEM filter from my Mustang in June, built in February, and it was still obviously a Purolater built FL-910S equivalent so I'm not sure where the parts chain is.
I called a Ford dealer yesterday to see if they had any FL500 filters since Walmart never has them on the shelf (hoarders ?), even though they do have the FL400 and FL910 (saw them last Sunday). Ford dealer said they were $14.99, and he had dozens in stock. I mentioned the "replacement" Motorcraft oil filters, and the Ford parts guy said he "never heard about them". Thought that was strange.

I called a Ford dealer yesterday to see if they had any FL500 filters since Walmart never has them on the shelf (hoarders ?), even though they do have the FL400 and FL910 (saw them last Sunday). Ford dealer said they were $14.99, and he had dozens in stock. I mentioned the "replacement" Motorcraft oil filters, and the Ford parts guy said he "never heard about them". Thought that was strange.
Most of the filters come from Mann/Hummel/Purolator. They are facing production constraints so Ford has a line of alternate filter numbers made by Champ to cover the constraint. We don't stock the alternate numbers since we have not had a supply issue with the normal filters. Actually we had the alternate for the FL-910S for a while and the techs refused to install them because they didn't feel right to them.

Most of the filters come from Mann/Hummel/Purolator. They are facing production constraints so Ford has a line of alternate filter numbers made by Champ to cover the constraint. We don't stock the alternate numbers since we have not had a supply issue with the normal filters. Actually we had the alternate for the FL-910S for a while and the techs refused to install them because they didn't feel right to them.
Great info thanks.

There is a lot of misinformation on the car forums from people who have never worked in a parts department. I try to give the most accurate info at the time it is written as possible.
To expand a bit. Some dealers do carry the alternate numbers, but bill out the normal numbers purely for ease of inventory.

We carry both the -B12 bulk pack and boxed filters for the FL-500S, FL-820S, FL-910S, and FL-2062A as well as FA-1632, FA-1883, and FA-1884 air filters. They are all under the boxed number and billed out under the boxed number. We do this purely for inventory simplification reasons and there is a slight cost difference that helps the bottom line some and makes the owner happy. Same parts, just not getting a box since about 98% of the filters we sell go over the back counter to our shop, so there is an environmental aspect also for those that are into that.

Pic of our Motorcraft oil filter bin for anyone curious. I do wipe down the shelves when I restock the not boxed filters. This isn't including the ones in stock still in the cases that are in another spot(s).

IMG_1279.jpg

Back