Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 for last 100K...what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Now that my free dealer oil changes are running out on my 2013 Ford Focus, I'll be going DIY. Oil has been changed every 5-8K since new with Motorcraft syn-blend 5W20 and Motorcraft filters. Car has ~104K on it. Figure it will be M1 5W20 (Costco), Wallyworld ST, or maybe just stick with the Ford oil. Thoughts? I've never done UOAs on this car.

Last edited:
There isn't anything wrong with the Motorcraft oil.Depending on the filter number, may not be anything wrong with the filter either....

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what OCI you want. Supertech synthetic for longer runs or any name brand conventional or synthetic blend for shorter ones. Havoline 5w-20 often runs on sale for about $15 a jug. Lately Amazon has been running good prices on Havoline and Castrol GTX.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Depends on what OCI you want. Supertech synthetic for longer runs or or any name brand conventional or synthetic blend for shorter ones. Havoline 5w-20 often runs on sale for about $15 a jug. To me rebates are a hassle. Lately Amazon has been running good prices on Havoline and Castrol GTX.

Car is now my son's so the annual mileage is low - *maybe* 5K/year so I'll be on an annual change out at low miles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Now that my free dealer oil changes are running out on my 2013 Ford Focus, I'll be going DIY. Oil has been changed every 5-8K since new with Motorcraft syn-blend 5W20 and Motorcraft filters. Car has ~104K on it. Figure it will be M1 5W20 (Costco), Wallyworld ST, or maybe just stick with the Ford oil. Thoughts? I've never done UOAs on this car.

How did you negotiate 6Y/100K of free oil changes? You should be 2019 BITOG Top Member Salesman of the Year.
Congrats on your mouth doing a job-well-done.

I was dishonest and should change that to "dealer oil change package"...hahahahahaha. Not free, I paid up front. It worked out that I made *a little* on it but not much b/c at the time I was commuting 20-30K/year and knew I'd be getting the oil changed a lot but that dropped off after a few years. I never buy anything extra when I buy cars but I just factored in as part of my OTD price which was very good. $500 for 7 years of oil changes/tire rotations/state inspections (and a few other somewhat worthless stuff) wasn't a bad deal to me and at least I knew I was getting good oil/filters and they make it v. convenient. You always just have to know the game and the game on these is yeah, they eat the oil changes b/c they know 95% of folks will take upsell maintenance stuff while it's in. Not me! Just the oil change please.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I have about 120 quarts of clearance oil.

Every oil rebate from any manufacturer was received, some faster than other. The rebates that you scan a photo of sales receipt were the fastest to get a rebate check.

You must do a lot of oil changes?

..I get it when I need it. ST Syn and a Motorcraft filter. I have used Motorcraft blend 5w-30 several times and felt there were better oils out there (for less).

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I don't do sales, rebates, promotions, etc. Also, I don't overthink it. I get it when I need it. ST Syn and a Motorcraft filter. I have used Motorcraft blend 5w-30 several times and felt there were better oils out there (for less).

I'm with you the price isn't a huge issue for me for something I do at most twice a year. I think this is like obsessive hoarding behavior for some.

I have the same 2.0 Duratec in my 2014 Focus and I've run mostly synthetics with a few Motorcraft runs early on.
Because it is a DI engine I don't go past 6 or 7K...( I notice the DI Focus makes the oil darker than the non DI 2.5 Duratec in my wife's Escape....the Focus has a 4.5 qt. capacity while the Escape has 5.7 so that may be part of it).

I think you would be fine going a full year and up to 7K on Supertech or any other full synthetic.

How has the Powershift transmission treated you?...they're known for being problematic...that's why I bought a 5 speed M/T.

Motorcraft oil and filters have seemingly worked just fine for over 100k miles. Why change it ?

Originally Posted by pbm
I have the same 2.0 Duratec in my 2014 Focus and I've run mostly synthetics with a few Motorcraft runs early on.
Because it is a DI engine I don't go past 6 or 7K...( I notice the DI Focus makes the oil darker than the non DI 2.5 Duratec in my wife's Escape....the Focus has a 4.5 qt. capacity while the Escape has 5.7 so that may be part of it).

I think you would be fine going a full year and up to 7K on Supertech or any other full synthetic.

How has the Powershift transmission treated you?...they're known for being problematic...that's why I bought a 5 speed M/T.

I was smart and got the manual..hahahahah. Got a loaded SE (201a, sunroof, winter pack) with a manual which was a rare bird but worth the search.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Motorcraft oil and filters have seemingly worked just fine for over 100k miles. Why change it ?

I will stay with the MC filters for sure (just really like factory/OE filters) but for oil, was just seeing what folks thought i.e. M1 or ST. The MC oil will work fine as you say and this car should go another 100K I hope for my son's sake!

Gentlemen:

It's not your job on BITOG to zealously defend the honor of a brand. State your position politely, offer credible evidence or reasonable experiences, and move on.

We have a Rebates Forum just for rebate discussions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
We have a Rebates thread just for rebate discussions.

Thank you ! People side-tracked this thread with all of that rebate nonsense.

Since we're being serious.

It's a 7 year old econobox with over 100K doing normal OCIs. Go to Walmart and pick any SN or higher xW-20 or xW-30 that's at a price you're willing to pay and never think about again until the next change comes up. What the bottle looks like will have zero impact on your life.

Originally Posted by hatt
Since we're being serious.

It's a 7 year old econobox with over 100K doing normal OCIs. Go to Walmart and pick any SN or higher xW-20 or xW-30 that's at a price you're willing to pay and never think about again until the next change comes up. What the bottle looks like will have zero impact on your life.

But I like pretty packaging and minutiae discussions....ahhahaha

First off...how the [censored] did you get 100,000 miles of free oil changes?? Jesus! That's a deal and a half!

I received two "free oil changes" with my Silverado. I had to wait two hours for the first one so they could throw who knows what in there. Two hours. Fell asleep in the waiting area at the dealer. I don't think I'll go back for my other "free" one.

As for the oil, any brand name off the shelf oil at Walmart will do (and you really can't beat their prices). Shell Rotella gas truck oil has a rebate goi on until the end of the year...you'll end up paying around $2 a quart, you can't really beat that. And Wally worlds Super Tech is good and cheap too. And of course you can always get the lowest price on Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, right there at Walmart. And I hate Walmart - can't stand the place - I've been known to leave my carriage right in the store when I pull up to the register and there's a line a mile long because they don't want to employ anyone anymore.

Originally Posted by Railrust
First off...how the [censored] did you get 100,000 miles of free oil changes?? Jesus! That's a deal and a half!

I received two "free oil changes" with my Silverado. I had to wait two hours for the first one so they could throw who knows what in there. Two hours. Fell asleep in the waiting area at the dealer. I don't think I'll go back for my other "free" one.

As for the oil, any brand name off the shelf oil at Walmart will do (and you really can't beat their prices). Shell Rotella gas truck oil has a rebate goi on until the end of the year...you'll end up paying around $2 a quart, you can't really beat that. And Wally worlds Super Tech is good and cheap too. And of course you can always get the lowest price on Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, right there at Walmart. And I hate Walmart - can't stand the place - I've been known to leave my carriage right in the store when I pull up to the register and there's a line a mile long because they don't want to employ anyone anymore.

My "free oil change" explanation is above - a bit misleading I admit. Shell Rotella isn't going in my car..ahhahaah...not sure of the obsession with folks on using this in vehicles it wasn't meant for. I'll probably do M1 from Wally or Costco or may try the bobo-brand (my term for generics) ST.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If everyone driving VWs would use Shell Rotella T6 5W40, Maybe I wouldn't see so many VWs around here puffing blue smoke.

hahahahaahah….probably true. Had several and never an issue using VW502.00 5W40 oils. My old MK4 Jetta bought in 1999 is still alive (with a neighbor now) at 280K with the 2.slow and no oil issues. I DIY'd most of the 220K I had it with M1 5W40 at 5-10K OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back