Motorcraft oil question

Hi everyone..04 grand marquis 56,000 miles.
I always use Motorcraft blend 5w20 at about 5,000 interval. I am now at 5,000 on my current fill but drive all freeway...300 plus miles a day. How far can I push it? Oil is full and still golden. Thanks for any input.

Nothing factual to back this up....but I would change it out soon. If it was a 3v (I know yours is a 2v) I would have already changed it.

More importantly, what filter do you use?

5,000 miles in half-a-month...120,000 per year. What's this 18 year old's story? Better not mention how old the tires are.

RockAuto offers a cheaper oil analysis kit if you want to see some facts.
I think TBN numbers are the measure of remaining oil life. More detailed lab work provides this data.

That car is just a pup compared to the one I just picked up for a beater. 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6 2V with 223,600 miles! Yes that mileage is correct and it's been very well maintained by the original owner, I am the 2nd owner. It's had Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend oil changes every 5K miles since new, along with Motorcraft filters only. It purrs like a kitten and when you shine a light down the filler cap it's bright shiny aluminum! I plan to continue the 5K miles Motorcraft regimen as well. I'd say change yours at 5K and keep trucking.
Merc (2).jpg

I forgot to mention that in 2000 Ford still recommended 5W30 for the 4.6's. You have no worries if you want to switch yours to the thicker oil. The first tank of gas this one got 18.9 MPG in all city driving with the A/C on, who needs thin oil for good mileage??!! Lol

I'd eyeball it for fuel dilution/color and go at least 7k. If it looked good I'd go up to 10k and get a UOA.

I'd probably try an EP oil just for the sake of cutting down on OCI's from a hassle perspective. On an EP I'd get a UOA at about 12k and if it looked good I'd go the advertised 20k.

I thought you said the Motorcraft was too much?

5,000 miles in half-a-month...120,000 per year. What's this 18 year old's story? Better not mention how old the tires are.

RockAuto offers a cheaper oil analysis kit if you want to see some facts.
I think TBN numbers are the measure of remaining oil life. More detailed lab work provides this data.
Wasn't sure on exact mileage

That car is just a pup compared to the one I just picked up for a beater. 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6 2V with 223,600 miles! Yes that mileage is correct and it's been very well maintained by the original owner, I am the 2nd owner. It's had Motorcraft 5W30 syn blend oil changes every 5K miles since new, along with Motorcraft filters only. It purrs like a kitten and when you shine a light down the filler cap it's bright shiny aluminum! I plan to continue the 5K miles Motorcraft regimen as well. I'd say change yours at 5K and keep trucking. View attachment 72909
Wow! Looks beautiful...nice. I hear these things run forever.

I thought you said the Motorcraft was too much?

Too much as in every 5,000 miles...would like to do 7,500 safley

Too much as in every 5,000 miles...would like to do 7,500 safley
I think that is doable, with an oil analysis, just once or twice to check the oil is doing the distance.

Me, I would go 6,000 miles this time, then take a sample while changing the oil, and send it off for an analysis (UOA).

If it comes back fine, and I feel it should, then next time change and UOA sample at 7,000 - 7,500 miles.

Hi everyone..04 grand marquis 56,000 miles.
I always use Motorcraft blend 5w20 at about 5,000 interval. I am now at 5,000 on my current fill but drive all freeway...300 plus miles a day. How far can I push it? Oil is full and still golden. Thanks for any input.
Why not use a 5w30 long drain oil and change it every 6 weeks or so. Castrol, Mobil 1 and of course Amsoil all make long drain lubes. Use with a Fram Ultra, this way you'll keep the oci's to a minimum.

I'd say 7500-10000mi wouldn't be too ridiculous even on synblend, when my dad had a fleet vehicle that he was putting similar level of mileage on the oil was changed every 7500mi using conventional, I think it was a 2010 2.5L Escape he had back then.

Back