Dealer 7,500 mile oci sticker?

Hi everyone,just got an oil change at the Ford dealer on my 04 Grand Marquis (39,000 miles) as always use the Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend. They put a sticker saying next one due in 7,500 miles.? Usually do about 5,000. No problems with car and driven city 75% of time. What do you think? Can Motorcraft go that long?

If, by your mileage, you are only driving around 2500 miles per year, and most of that is city driving, by my figures it would take you 3 years to put on 7500 miles, I personally would not go that long. Especially in Michigan. I live in Nebraska, and would not go more than a year myself.

5,000 mi was what they used with MC Blend 5W-20 with higher sulphur gas, Police Pursuit work and massive amounts of idling (50%+) for 150,000 mi followed by 300,000 - 600,000 mi of Taxi Work. With current low sulphur gas, less strenuous driving and less idling and the current SP GF-6 Oil you likely got I would not be at all afraid to take a 4.6L 2V PI to 7500 mi. Ford's new cars go 10,000 mi on that oil for the majority of owners.

If you run at least 5,000 mi a year, 7,500 mi will be fine.

They put a sticker saying change oil in 7500 miles. You can go back tomorrow if you want and change the oil again.

7500 miles on a synthetic or synthetic blend is a piece of cake. As stangguy points out though, your miles/year is your issue. It would take 3 years to reach 7500, but I would change it once a year instead, not based on miles.

As far as engines go, Ford's Modular V-8 is probably one of the most gentle engines on motor oil ever made. There was a guy on BITOG that was running generic conventional oil for 10,000 mile intervals in a similar year Crown Vic with the same engine and every UOA was turning out very well. He also did 15k on Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in the same engine with similar results.

If my Kia Soul engine can go 5K, your engine should be good for 7500.

I won't post what I think of an Oil Shearing, Fuel Diluting Monster like a 3.5 Ecoboost going 10,000 mi OCI on MC Blend because I don't think that supports my argument.

But 4.6 2V 7500 mi? A non-event.

Not from my experience using it.

A whole lot of 4.6 2v engines are laughing right now. We’re talking about The engine put in police cars that were then run as taxi’s. 7500 on a modern syn blend in that engine Isn’t going to prevent it from going to 500k if OP wants.

I inherited the car. Had been sitting in the garage for 10 years. Turned my Escape in and decided to drive this. Had all fluids flushed,car runs and drives beautiful. Thank you for sharing all your knowledge with me.

If you're going to drive it relatively full-time, you can certainly go 7500 miles between oil changes. Go less if you want, of course....

Back