Oil and interval ?

Hi everyone. I took a new job that will require me to drive my 2004 Grand Marquis 200 to 500 miles 5 days a week all freeway. I've been doing dealer motorcraft and filter prior to this job at 5,000. That's to much now?! Any input?

Maybe this thread will help you.

Guys, you really should try reading for content. OP's original thread was to decide if he was going to drive the GM or get another vehicle. This thread is deciding his choice of oil for the GM, since (apparently) he's made the decision to drive it 70k per year.

Hi everyone. I took a new job that will require me to drive my 2004 Grand Marquis 200 to 500 miles 5 days a week all freeway. I've been doing dealer motorcraft and filter prior to this job at 5,000. That's to much now?! Any input?
So now you've decided to run the Grand Marquis....cool.

IMO 5,000 miles is too short of a run for any oil in those conditions.

You are an excellent candidate for an extended oil interval. The GM's V8 is easy on oil and you're doing all highway. Dnewton3 has run his Crown Vics (same engine) to 15,000 miles on conventional, in mixed driving.

In your position I'd get some Schaeffer, Amsoil, or another oil that's good for extended intervals, add a 20,000 mile oil filter and do a series of UOAs to determine your interval. (send me a PM if you want details on this process outside the thread)

Once you've got the interval down, your savings will start to add up. Time spent doing oil changes will also go way down.

I would estimate that with that engine and all highway, you could probably easily go 25k on Amsoil and close to that with Schaeffer. Instead of 14 oil changes over the course of a year, you could do 3. Huge savings in time and money.

(Oh, and I'd also go 5w-30; it's the original specification for that engine)

Last edited:
Guys, you really should try reading for content. OP's original thread was to decide if he was going to drive the GM or get another vehicle. This thread is deciding his choice of oil for the GM, since (apparently) he's made the decision to drive it 70k per year.

So now you've decided to run the Grand Marquis....cool.

IMO 5,000 miles is too short of a run for any oil in those conditions.

You are an excellent candidate for an extended oil interval. The GM's V8 is easy on oil and you're doing all highway. Dnewton3 has run his Crown Vics (same engine) to 15,000 miles on conventional, in mixed driving.

In your position I'd get some Schaeffer, Amsoil, or another oil that's good for extended intervals, add a 20,000 mile oil filter and do a series of UOAs to determine your interval. (send me a PM if you want details on this process outside the thread)

Once you've got the interval down, your savings will start to add up. Time spent doing oil changes will also go way down.

I would estimate that with that engine and all highway, you could probably easily go 25k on Amsoil and close to that with Schaeffer. Instead of 14 oil changes over the course of a year, you could do 3. Huge savings in time and money.

(Oh, and I'd also go 5w-30; it's the original specification for that engine)
I would however change the first few 20k oil filters out like at 10k miles because of possibility of sludge and better cleaning agents in the new top tier oil you suggested.

If you are changing your own oil, I'd use either the valvoline AFS or the maxlife that you already use for the cars in your signature so you can have the economy of scale. Otherwise if you want to keep having the dealer change the oil, you won't have an issue with MCSB

I really don’t think 200-500 miles a week is a big deal, I do around 500 miles a week and I just stick to 5,000 mile OCI’s using whatever synthetic is on sale or rebate. Never an issue. And I’ll pretty much use whatever filter I can get my hands on.

And the Grand Marquis is a legendary engine/vehicle...let’s not forget that these thing are used to idling all day as police cars, back in the day. It’ll eat up highway miles like no ones business. So, a good synthetic on sale...5,000-6,000 mile intervals. Piece of cake and quite honestly probably even better than the driving you were doing before.

I can't remember who it was but I recall seeing someone who had done a series of UOA reports on a early 2000's Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with the Ford Modular V-8.

They were doing 10,000 mile intervals on conventional 5w20 and 15,000 mile intervals using Mobil 1 AFE 0w20, all using Fram Tough Guard oil filters IIRC.

I have a buddy that I've helped out with one of these and I personally would use any 5w20 or 0w20 together with a Fram Tough Guard or Fram Force filter for 10,000 mile oil change intervals and you should be fine.

I really don’t think 200-500 miles a week is a big deal, I do around 500 miles a week and I just stick to 5,000 mile OCI’s using whatever synthetic is on sale or rebate. Never an issue. And I’ll pretty much use whatever filter I can get my hands on.

And the Grand Marquis is a legendary engine/vehicle...let’s not forget that these thing are used to idling all day as police cars, back in the day. It’ll eat up highway miles like no ones business. So, a good synthetic on sale...5,000-6,000 mile intervals. Piece of cake and quite honestly probably even better than the driving you were doing before.
It's 200 to 500 miles a day!

It's 200 to 500 miles a day!
Ah! That wasn't clear to me either in the original post. I was thinking 200-500 a week as well.

That averages to 1750 miles a week. That would take less than 6 weeks to drive 10k miles. I'd start with a 10k mile run, do a Used Oil Analysis, and when you get the results, that should guide you on whether to go up, down or stay put at 10k oil changes.

If the engine is sound 10,000 miles with a syn would probably be easy to achieve..

Back