Asking for advice

I have a 2004 Grand Marquis with 50,000 original miles and runs great. I got a job offer that pays very well but I would be driving my car about 70,000 miles a year. The money would be wonderful but wondered what you all thought and if the car would do well? All new fluids,brakes,tune up. Thank you all for any advice. I just don't want to ruin my baby...lol

I have a 2004 Grand Marquis with 50,000 original miles and runs great. I got a job offer that pays very well but I would be driving my car about 70,000 miles a year. The money would be wonderful but wondered what you all thought and if the car would do well? All new fluids,brakes,tune up. Thank you all for any advice. I just don't want to ruin my baby...lol
May I ask what you're doing? Deliveries?
I was driving 150 miles round trip a day until Covid and putting on an average of 30,000 miles a year.
You would easily be doubling that per day.

That Grand Marquis will run for forever....but if you are paying for gas, why not look for an inexpensive 4 banger?
The GM is about the most comfortable seat i've ever ridden in, I would keep it just for that.
Like sitting in a comfortable couch going down the road. The added reliability only seals the deal.

Personally I don't think that's the right car for that job.

That's $60k+ for gas in 5 years at current prices. A Corolla hybrid or Prius will have you about $15k ahead after 5 years, even factoring in the price of a brand new car.

1631900695933.jpg

I'd pick up another car like the Civic in your signature and a membership to costco or sams club for gas.

Your crown vic will survive that use with a full service on fluids and filters, but that's going to be a lot of gas. My Mustang GT with the same engine gets about 20mpg highway.

Estimating 20mpg for 3,500 gallons of fuel a year at $2.60 a gallon would be $9,100 in fuel alone for a year. Another civic or similar that gets 40mpg would cut that amount in half. Over 5 years, you could save $22,750 in gas.

If it's in good condition I'm sure the Grand Marquis will be reliable. But as others suggested, you might look into a fuel-efficient commuter car if the job does not involve delivering people or heavy loads that a rollerskate would not endure. Assuming you would keep the Grand Marquis, it's possible that the added insurance & registration costs and up-front cost of an additional vehicle may negate the fuel savings, do the math and you'll figure it out.

Is the company paying you mileage? You will need a lot of maintenance? Tires & brakes more than once a year. Oil changes once a month.

But you will be driving the equivalent of 134 eight hour days/year.

Get a car that gets 50+ MPG.

Not sure what you're doing in the vehicle but this screams PRIUS to my ears. Relatively low maintenance costs and solid mileage. If taken care of these Prius' tend to last in excess of 300k. Even a brand new one is pretty cheap.

Secondary thought, if you are being paid as a contractor I'd consult an account and see about incorporating and buying a new Prius, or whatever you decide on and playing that out on the tax deduction field.

Personally I don't think that's the right car for that job.

That's $60k+ for gas in 5 years at current prices. A Corolla hybrid or Prius will have you about $15k ahead after 5 years, even factoring in the price of a brand new car.

View attachment 71380
I think he might need two of those to go 350k.

Out of those 70,000 miles what will be the actual business miles meaning not counting commute to and from work?

Back