Motorcraft FL-910S vs FL-400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently changed the oil of my 2016 Fiesta ST, which uses an FL-910S filter and put in an FL-400S filter for the slightly larger capacity.

I found these specs on the filters:

FL-400 Specifications:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.): 3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.): 2.98"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.): 2.98"
Length (in.): 4.14"
Spin-On Filter: Yes
Bypass Valve: YES
Color: White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 psi
Pressure Relief Valve: YES
PSI Relief: 20 PSI
Micron Rating: 80%@20um
Height (in.): 4.14"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve: YES

FL-910S Specifcations:
Thread Inside Diameter (in.):3/4"-16
Outside Diameter Top (in.):3.15"
Outside Diameter Bottom (in.):3.15"
Length (in.): 3.36"
Spin-On Filter:Yes
Bypass Valve:YES
Color:White
Burst Pressure (PSI): 250 PSI
Pressure Relief Valve:YES
PSI Relief:14.5 PSI
Micron Rating:50%@35um
Height (in.):3.36"
Seal Outside Diameter (in.): 2.75"
Seal Inside Diameter (in.): 2.40"
Anti-drainback Valve:YES

The biggest difference seems to be the pressure relief valve PSI which is slightly higher on the FL-400S. Can someone explain what the pressure relief valve does and if the higher PSI rating is good or bad? I like the 400S because it gives an extra half quart of oil capacity but there seems to be some debate about whether or not it actually hurts or benefits.

Dunno about the bypass stuff but I'm running a FL-400S in the Camry in my sig. I'd be more worried about clearance with using a FL-400S but it's your car

I'd personally stick with the FL-400S

Last edited by a moderator:
Really they can be used interchangeably as long as you have room for the extra length. I always used the 400S when I had a Saturn because the extra length made it easier to remove and install. I'm now running a 400S on my John Deere garden tractor.

The higher the PR setting the less time it goes into bypass(letting unfiltered oil back into the engine). More oil will be forced through the media.

I always like running a higher BP setting filter.

Originally Posted By: Matt_V
FL-400 Specifications:

FL-910S Specifcations:
Micron Rating: 50%@35um

Pretty big difference if you ask me...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
FL-400 Specifications:

FL-910S Specifcations:

Agree. Not even comparable.

The 2010 Fusion in my sig specs the FL910s, but I've been running the FL400s since I got it, with the exception of my current OCI, which has a Fram Ultra 3614 (the Fram Ultra equivalent of the 910s. Never had a single problem with any of the 400s filters that I've run, and I've cut open quite a few. Also ran UOAs on many runs, and they've always been stellar.

As others have mentioned, as long as there's room/clearance for the longer filter, you should be fine with the 400s.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
FL-400 Specifications:

FL-910S Specifcations:

Forgive me for my ignorance, still relatively new to this. The FL-400S has a better micron rating?

I just recently changed the oil of my 2016 Fiesta ST, which uses an FL-910S filter and put in an FL-400S filter for the slightly larger capacity.

Where did you find these specs that include the filtering efficiency? Link?

FL-400 Specifications:

FL-910S Specifcations:

Forgive me for my ignorance, still relatively new to this. The FL-400S has a better micron rating?

Definitely ... filtering 80% of the particles 20 microns or larger is much better than filtering 50% of the particles 35 microns or larger.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Where did you find these specs that include the filtering efficiency? Link?

A member of the FiestaST forum I am on posted these specs.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threa...ull=1#post93440

I see in the FiestaST forum post that the info was from Advanced Auto. If you click on those links now, there is only a few lines of specs, and nowhere near the information he found 1-1/2 years ago.

That's strange then, not quite sure where he found it then?

-Matt

I assuming that 1-1/2 years ago, all that spec info was shown on the Advance Auto website for those two Motorcraft oil filters.

The filtering specs could be bogus on that FL910S. You would think that 80% at 20uc would be the min spec for any quality MC filter.

You would think that 80% at 20uc would be the min spec for any quality MC filter.

I think that's actually what it was when the Motorcraft site used to list nominal specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back