Motorcraft FL-820S Cut Open - 4k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from my cousin's 2005 Mustang GT. About 6 months (4,000 miles) on OCI using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. Looked good, even with the large gap around the seam there were no tears. End cap came unglued, which I find to be typical for Purolators. Not the best photos I've ever taken, but hopefully they will suffice. They seem to be good filters for sub 5k OCIs. I wouldn't trust them not to tear if pushed over 5k.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I used to use these 820's all the time but stopped since seeing how poorly these are made. Wide, sometimes torn pleats and your end cap can't even stayed glued to the filter. Junk in my opinion. I wish Ford would go with another maker other than Purolator for these.

Last edited:
The 820, the outlier of the MC line. While anecdotes of other MCs generally seem fine in my observation, 820 not so much. Looks like this one survived the 4k mi fci, the wide pleat(s) at seam pleat biggest weakness area. Endcap popper on dissection while disconcerting, as long as compression spring functioning as designed, not an issue. If choosing and using topic OF, agree with ~5k mi. max for these.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Not liking the big gap in the media.

I agree.

I've said it before....Every $2 Chinese filter I've seen (Eco-Guard, Pro-Guard etc...) has perfectly straight and uniform pleats...why are these so called premium brand filters unable to do that?

To the OP: Thanks for the effort. Just bought a Ford ('05 Ranger 4.0-been talkin' about it) which takes that very filter.
I bought a Hastings LF110 and when the time comes it gets a Fram Ultra Guard.

But regarding your comment, "I wouldn't trust them not to tear if pushed over 5k." Honestly, how do you know?
If something is weak I'd expect it to tear with the first turn of the key......or possibly on an ice cold day when thick oil is pushed into it (before some by-pass hardware wakes up).

Just sayin'

Originally Posted by Kira
Honestly, how do you know?
If something is weak I'd expect it to tear with the first turn of the key......or possibly on an ice cold day when thick oil is pushed into it (before some by-pass hardware wakes up).

Just sayin'

EVERYONE WONDERS THE SAME EXACT THING.

Notice how that seam pleat was actually pulling up on the potting on the bottom? Assuming this was mostly warm weather usage, with nice thin PP 5W20, probably no winter starts at all. Now put that filter in the dead of winter, with multiple cold starts with dino oil-that pleat is TOAST. no way it handles it. Hard pass, thanks.

That is a deal breaker, why buy that when others stay intact? But what is the date code? On these the date code is important as Ford upgraded them.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
That is a deal breaker, why buy that when others stay intact? But what is the date code? On these the date code is important as Ford upgraded them.

I'll try to check when I go back to the garage. It was purchased this spring, I know that much. It was from a busy Walmart, so I'm guessing it wasn't sitting long.

As for my 5k comment, I've cut open a lot of Purolators with under 5k and have yet to see any tears with them. However, I have seen tears in some with over 5k. It's just my personal experience. I wouldn't run one past 5k. I get nervous just going over 3k with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back