Motorcraft FL-820S - 10,173 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Or 16,372Km.

This filter was in service from October 27th, 2013 to September 1st, 2014. Oil used was Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 SN. Vehicle is a 2002 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L 2V and 280,5xxKm on it at the time of this post (roughly 175,000 miles).

Filter was cut with a reciprocating saw. Sorry for the cutting surface, I couldn't find any cardboard today
grin.gif

FL-820S10KOCI02.jpg

FL-820S10KOCI03.jpg

FL-820S10KOCI04.jpg

FL-820S10KOCI05.jpg

FL-820S10KOCI06.jpg

FL-820S10KOCI07.jpg

Not a hint of tearing, media was wonderfully pliable still, though a bit wavy, likely due to it being used all last winter including that beautiful -30C start I posted when we were driving through NB/QC. I tried tearing the media with my fingers by pushing on it where it met the glue at the can and was not able to do so. Also, the potting/glue at the ends flexed readily with the media, FWIW.

Another FL-820S has gone on in this filters place.

THANK YOU! Good to know. I am using 820's for 10K mile intervals (with 5K oil changes) in my daughters 2002 Lincoln Continental. I feel reassured now.

I have been using MC filters at 10K for years. The cartridge filter on the Fusion always looks good.

It is hard to beat those < $3.00 MC filters. For the price point, nothing else is even close.

FWIW: This filter was one from the case of filters I bought some time ago. The one that just went on was the last one from that case.

fl820s.jpg

The date stamp on that picture is April 21st, 2010. So that gives you the relative age of these filters.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Nice pics, thanks. Glad to see continuing confirmation that Motorcrafts are more robust than Purolators.

I don't think is in any way confirmation of anything besides that fact that this particular filter was in good shape.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
FWIW: This filter was one from the case of filters I bought some time ago. The one that just went on was the last one from that case.

fl820s.jpg

The date stamp on that picture is April 21st, 2010. So that gives you the relative age of these filters.

I have you beat--I still have some of the old/longer 820S filters with the script writing, purchased back in 2007! I lost interest and used some other filters "just because", and I still have 4 or 5 820S left from a bulk purchase. I've cut every used filter open and they've all been perfect.

So, the big question: with the Purolator defects you've seen, would you buy another case right now?

That is quite the question and I was waiting for somebody to ask it
grin.gif

I would buy ONE filter, run it, cut it, see if the construction is the same as these ones, and if so, buy another case.

While I am generally confident about the Motorcraft filters being unaffected the issue still does have me a bit sketched out.... And coupled with the fact that all of the ones I have cut have been of 2010 vintage and earlier, I'm not willing to take a gamble on buying another 12 without confirming they are of the same quality.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: R80RS
Nice pics, thanks. Glad to see continuing confirmation that Motorcrafts are more robust than Purolators.

I don't think is in any way confirmation of anything besides that fact that this particular filter was in good shape.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

fl820s.jpg

I have you beat--I still have some of the old/longer 820S filters with the script writing, purchased back in 2007! I lost interest and used some other filters "just because", and I still have 4 or 5 820S left from a bulk purchase. I've cut every used filter open and they've all been perfect.

So, the big question: with the Purolator defects you've seen, would you buy another case right now?

I still have some filters from the 90s in my stash.
grin.gif

I, too, was reassured until I read about the date. I have 4 more recent FL820S filters waiting to be disposed of...I may have to break down and finally cut open my first filter to see how they held up. The suspense is killing me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back