Motorcraft FL-500S out of an Explorer 3.5L EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil back on 06-01-2019. These pictures were taken just after the oil change but I forgot to put them up until I was just reminded with the Blackstone report. No tears from what I can see. Held up well, but it only saw 5700 miles of driving.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks. I have yet to find a tear in a Motorcraft filter, and my sister's explorer uses FL-820S.

Those ramps are the best! Cheap, strong, and reliable. But heavy as heck!

Yeah, I store my ramps in a shed about 75' from where I use them … and started storing a small dolly next to them … sometimes I use all four of them ...

That oil looks pretty dirty. Ecoboost and DI is tough on oil. Filter looks decent, and the FL-500S filters posted here seem to hold up pretty well (no tearing media). Thanks for the C&P.

I store my ramps close by my driveway. I usually only have to carry them 10-15'. Any more than that, I'd get a cart too, lol.

No problem for the C&P.

Looks good to me. 5700 miles while perhaps not an "extended" oci/fci, fairly substantial imo. Along with the 910S and 400S, looking at post use anecdotes these seem to do well.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
That oil looks pretty dirty. Ecoboost and DI is tough on oil.

Both my EB engines the 3.5 and the 2.7 look like that after 5000 miles. The 3.5 starts to occasionally idle unevenly after about 4000. I believe that's due to fuel contamination of the oil affecting the idle.

Originally Posted by Cujet
The 3.5 starts to occasionally idle unevenly after about 4000. I believe that's due to fuel contamination of the oil affecting the idle.

My 15 F150 with 3.5EB has crappy idle at 5K+ miles. OCI at 5% and 6.5K miles. Changing oil today. I use Fram Ultra and PP

Originally Posted by BigJosh
Originally Posted by Cujet
The 3.5 starts to occasionally idle unevenly after about 4000. I believe that's due to fuel contamination of the oil affecting the idle.

My 15 F150 with 3.5EB has crappy idle at 5K+ miles. OCI at 5% and 6.5K miles. Changing oil today. I use Fram Ultra and PP

Our 2017 Explorer doesn't have the 3.5EB but the 2.3EB. I've used the Motorcraft 910S and the Mobil1 oil filter equivalent. After the short run, ~3,200 mi with the dealer "free" oil change at 2,000 miles I've used Mobil 1 5W-30 up to 7,000 mi OCI and the idle has been smooth as silk all along. Our iOLM would take us to 10,000 miles no matter the weather or type of driving it seems. I'll stick to 7,000-7,500 mile OCI's max except in the winter with lots of remote starts by the wife. I'll reduce that somewhat based upon a winter run of 6200 mile UOA I had done.

Whimsey

The N/A 3.5 in my 2018 Explorer XLT is pretty easy on the 5W-20 oil. At 7k-8k miles, the old oil wasn't bad at all. I poured some fresh Idemitsu moly 5W-20 synth and the engine purrs. If the water pump and PTU weren't POS designs, I'd contemplate keeping the Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back