Motorcraft 820s cut open

My bad. I made an unbiased observation that didn't sit well with a few MC haters? What if I said: "The more I read this thread and after looking back at the original post again, I’ve become entirely convinced that the most likely truth here is it the whole thing is false reasoning or completely made up."

That didn't take long. Sometimes it's so easy.

I still haven’t find an oil filter having quiet start up like the fl820s .

I ask same question after I cut one open and found a hole . I’m fan of Ford adbv set up on top . So I was looking other brand for a similar adbv set up like Ford Mobil 1 use to have similar set up . Til this day still none

Last edited:
I still haven’t find an oil filter having quiet start up like the fl820s .

I ask same question after I cut one open and found a hole . I’m fan of Ford adbv set up on top . So I was looking other brand for a similar adbv set up like Ford Mobil 1 use to have similar set up . Til this day still none
Not a lot of oil filters use the base end bypass anymore ... Motorcraft seems to be the main one still using one.

Not a lot of oil filters use the base end bypass anymore ... Motorcraft seems to be the main one still using on

my 2 5.4l seem really like the FL820s . They both start up smooth with FL820s . Even with recent -1 degree here in Texas . They both start up smooth . As soon I change over another brand . My 2005 5.4l 3v It’s start up noise again . I might go back fl820s and doing really short oil change . Or my other option is Ford racing FL820s I don’t know any body here cut one open or report tear on it

Found on other forum on the Ford racing FL820s . It’s $20 oil filter
51F40829-9AFE-4EAD-A7AA-69BDE0630CD9.jpeg
34275662-E2CE-49E3-B03A-C81781E2E62A.jpeg
6773F106-A987-45D4-9B7A-437B7AC642AD.jpeg
BE05CA06-F87F-4CFF-88D3-B3862302C340.jpeg
E894BB72-0010-4D3D-8C5A-863031C421D5.jpeg

Attachments

• F96F3C93-062C-4EE3-B2FE-DD2607973D29.jpeg
    F96F3C93-062C-4EE3-B2FE-DD2607973D29.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14
My son came to visit me this weekend. He's going to change the oil in his truck and mine. We're using the Havoline l just recently bought. I'm using a M1 oil filter on my truck and he's using an FL-820S.
20210227_171209.jpg

Ive used tons of 820's on my Mustang. I never seen one torn. They look horrible to me so I stopped using them. Whats the point of an oil filter if it isnt filtering the oil?
I have only used the FL820S on my 4.0 V6 Mustangs since my first in 2010ish. Having had good results with the NAPA Gold in my other cars, I just bought Rebecca her first NAPA Gold 1372. I only drive her about 500-700 miles a year, so I suppose anything would work but... here we are.
Mike B

My son came to visit me this weekend. He's going to change the oil in his truck and mine. We're using the Havoline l just recently bought. I'm using a M1 oil filter on my truck and he's using an FL-820S.
View attachment 47255
I like that new look . My local Walmart have hard time restock these fl820s . Many are still using them .

I really want buy a brand new one and cut open to see any tear or hole . My first and last one I cut was having hole and little tear . While moving to another state , I lost my filter cutter

You've seen this before I'm sure - is this proof enough. This was member Stu_Rock's spreadsheet he started when all the torn filters were showing up. And this list wasn't keep up to date by any means, as there were a lot more reported than what his spreadsheet shows.

TORN FILTERS REPORTED ON BITOG SPREADSHEET
Hmmm... I'm not a very smart person and I'm looking at this spreadsheet now.

I see ~103 lines of entries. Hardly representative of much with 500 million cars on the roads. Further, I see exactly ONE (1) Motorcraft 820S failure. One. Uno. Total MC failures is 4 out of the 103 listed. Not even 4% of the reported failures out of only 103 reported. This implies tens of millions of cars without problems.

This seems like a paranoid witch hunt, pardon my saying so...

Pages of hate on the MC 820S when it seems unjustified given the track record of the vehicles that use these compiling probably a trillion driven miles.

This is the first I've heard of this issue on the 820S. I have 2 Fords that call for this filter and another that can use it, and have ~30 of them on hand. I was a bit worried that it's dangerous. Seems people are really up in arms about a non-issue.

Over on Amazon this filter has ~3278 reviews giving it a FIVE STAR rating overall. Nobody's engines are blowing up. Everyone is happy with it.

I just looked and have one from my last oil change. It's draining out now. I'm going to look for myself, but my Fords drive fine and run fine and have presumably used these filters for at least some of their combined 220k miles...

Last edited:
^^^ Been a lot more torn filters reported than what the spreadsheet shows. That spreadsheet was populated in a pretty short time period. Purolator brand filters, and other brand filters made by Purolator have a pretty solid history of tearing media.

People like to argue about something just for the sake of arguing.

Seriously! I've seen a couple of filters with media damage which could be due to a number of items. A small batch product defect, a damaged engine shedding sharp metal, damage to the media when the filter is cut open carelessly, who knows...

What we do know is that a few filters is below anecdotal. Weigh that against probably 50 million vehicles that use this filter and report high miles and no known directly associated problems from fibers released into the engine or poor filtration...

It's going to take more than pictures of 3 filters cut open, and a "spreadsheet" with 1 example on it to concern me...

^^^ Been a lot more torn filters reported than what the spreadsheet shows. That spreadsheet was populated in a pretty short time period. Purolator brand filters, and other brand filters made by Purolator have a pretty solid history of tearing media.
More than one? I should hope so given the pages of seething outrage of alleged poor product design... lol.

When I opened that spreadsheet I was expecting pages of catastrophe and destroyed engines, hundreds, nay, thousands of 820S culprit carcasses torn open to proof the smoking gun poor design.

But ONE.... lol. Underwhelming is an understatement.

This would be like me running around the neighborhood tonight with a lantern screaming my head off yelling and waking the entire city that the British are coming!

One filter... lol. This is the biggest comical nothing burger I've read in a year. I appreciate the laugh. Pages and pages of "the sky is falling, oh what a horrid filter..." and then there's one on this long awaited spreadsheet.

You signed up yesterday, but apparently you haven't been reading this forum for over 10 years. Maybe if you go back and read every thread starting around 2014 and seeing the photis of torn filters postrd up, you might have a different viewpoint. Go do some searching.

You signed up yesterday, but apparently you haven't been reading this forum for over 10 years. Maybe if you go back and read every thread starting around 2014 and seeing the photis of torn filters postrd up, you might have a different viewpoint. Go do some searching.

Not. Interested. It's hysterical hysteria.

I'm a data guy.

Let's say there's been 50 reported "torn" filter media in the 15 years you're citing... that's 3 per year.... Can you show a single engine failure as a result. A confirmed proven result where the company paid for a new engine destroyed by this torn filter media. Unlikely.

Weigh that against:

Five star reviews with over 3200 users, just on Amazon. Probably 50 million vehicles using the 820S nationwide. Major company stamping its name on it. Endorsed and recommended by Ford to use Motorcraft filter specically by the model and maker.

I just looked at both my Ford owners maintenance manuals. My 2002 Crown Vic and 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis (combined 225k miles, presumably a lot of those on the MC820 filter) have identical language stating: "It is recommended you use the appropriate Motorcraft oil filter (or another brand meeting Ford specifications) for your engine application."

So, here's a question. Ford originally had these under some form of warranty, probably 3 or 5 years, tens of thousands of miles. Their engineers designed all aspects of this engine and filter. They were financially interested in making the best product at a reasonable price. And ultimately on the hook if their 10s of millions of Police Cars, Taxis, personal civilian cars, and Town Cars and Trucks grenaded due to bad filters.

So is Ford, heavily financially invested to hundreds of billions of dollars, wrong? Or are the haters of the MC820S with phantom issues wrong?

Back