Which brand of filter is easiest to cut open?

I cut open my removed filters to inspect them by trimming off the rim with a tin snip. Then the insides just slip out.
Seems like this mobile1 filter had a thicker rim that I had to cut through with a sidecutter, and the case metal seemed thicker.
Or was I just weak that day?
Are some cases stronger/thicker than others?

Got a cheapie oil cutter, it makes short work of Honda filters. Denso's for my Toyota? maybe I shoulda bought a better cutter, it's awful slicing that open, to the point where I might not bother on the one I just removed.

I cut open my removed filters to inspect them by trimming off the rim with a tin snip. Then the insides just slip out.
Seems like this mobile1 filter had a thicker rim that I had to cut through with a sidecutter, and the case metal seemed thicker.

Or was I just weak that day?
Are some cases stronger/thicker than others?

Easiest brand I e cut open is Purolator jobber filters and Pennzoil filters.

@53' Stude has probably cut more oil filters than anyone here by a long shot so I defer to his judgement. My only $0.02 is that it has varied more by the size of the filter and not brand in my limited experience. The smaller filters I've cut (Wix 51394/51360) were more difficult for me than say a OTR engine or fuel filter. The most frustrating one so far was a FF63009 which has a plastic housing. It took forever and my Cat filter cutter didn't work well with the plastic. The C&P is posted on here.

Supertech. I use the 3387a. Have a common oil filter cutter,bar type.easiest I've ever opened. Acdelco upf47r too.

Back