Motorcraft 820s cut open

Dozens? As in 24 filters or more? Can you please post each one here? I did do a search and saw SEVERAL posts about torn 820S oil filters. Not dozens. :rolleyes:
There's a spreadsheet around BITOG somewhere, there were more FL820S tears than all other filters combined. I love Purolator, as long as they're Purolator Synthetic, Boss, or Bosch Distance Plus-the rest are risky... (well, the FL400S & FL500S ones are OK too!).

First off, I don't particularly care for the 820S, I don't like that it's pleats are wavy and will usually have that one pleat that has a wide space. If my vehicle called for that size, I'd do a Napa/Wix. That's just me, I'm not saying anybody is wrong using an 820. Plenty of high mileage Fords I've seen on other forums that have run nothing but the MC 820S....However, I noticed right away that it does seem to be the most talked about and C&P filter on this site by a large margin. That would seem to make it show more tears than most filters, as we never see the internals of many? Seems a lot of tears we see on these types of forums are small tears running across the pleat (outside) edge and not in the middle (inside) of the pleat where it would seem much weaker. Makes me wonder if these small tears are the result of a cutting wheel during dissection as most probably don't own a filter cutting tool? I'm speaking in general, not just the 820. Not hating or defending so nobody need get worked up...Just a perspective.

First off, I don't particularly care for the 820S, I don't like that it's pleats are wavy and will usually have that one pleat that has a wide space. If my vehicle called for that size, I'd do a Napa/Wix. That's just me, I'm not saying anybody is wrong using an 820. Plenty of high mileage Fords I've seen on other forums that have run nothing but the MC 820S....However, I noticed right away that it does seem to be the most talked about and C&P filter on this site by a large margin. That would seem to make it show more tears than most filters, as we never see the internals of many? Seems a lot of tears we see on these types of forums are small tears running across the pleat (outside) edge and not in the middle (inside) of the pleat where it would seem much weaker. Makes me wonder if these small tears are the result of a cutting wheel during dissection as most probably don't own a filter cutting tool? I'm speaking in general, not just the 820. Not hating or defending so nobody need get worked up...Just a perspective.
Another desperate attempt to justify a proven defective product, "yes maybe they do tear but it's either not important or it is a user problem".

And no way do I think the filter is the "most talked about" filter on here, from what I've seen the Fram brand is discussed much more often. Imagine if the same number of torn Fram orange cans were posted here instead of the Motorcraft, the howls would be positively deafening.

No desperate attempt. Just an observation. I am not a "MC" or die guy. There are plenty of them on here as well as the Fram or else guys which you proved by responding to a post that I never mentioned Fram. If I'm being honest, the desperation appears to be your defense of Fram for no reason at all. When I said most talked about, I also said most C&P, which is just a general observation from my short time as a member here. I do use the FL400 in place of a 910 on my one vehicle. I use a Napa and Champ on my other two vehicles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Job
No desperate attempt sir. Just an observation. I am not a "MC" or die guy. There are plenty of them on here as well as the Fram or else guys which you proved by responding to a post that never mentioned Fram. If I'm being honest, the desperation appears to be your defense of Fram for no reason at all. When I said most talked about, I also said most C&P, which is just a general observation from my short time as a member.
Sounds good. But I've probably used a Fram filter twice in the 1,000,000 miles on my current vehicles and everything else in the past.

Appearances can be deceiving unless you know what you're looking at.

It's not from cutting the filter open. Almost every time the other end of the pleat is also torn, so how could both ends be torn when the cut on the can is only on one end? It's been said many times that the media on filters that tear are because the media is relatively brittle, and the tears are always on the super wide pleats because those pleats get pushed over and stressed from the delta-p and oil flow going over them.

And yes, the members here probably cut & post more oil filters than any other site so we see more more cut open filters.

Last edited:
I also said most C&P, which is just a general observation from my short time as a member here. I do use the FL400 in place of a 910 on my one vehicle. I use a Napa and Champ on my other two vehicles.
Purolator use to be the most C&P filter a while back, but after all the torn media reports a lot of people here switched brands so you don't see the same volume of Purolator C&Ps like there was about 5~6 years ago. There's a fair share of Motorcraft filters C&P these days, but I'd say Fram is the most C&P filter these days since Purolator lost quite a few users here.

Purolator use to be the most C&P filter a while back, but after all the torn media reports a lot of people here switched brands so you don't see the same volume of Purolator C&Ps like there was about 5~6 years ago. There's a fair share of Motorcraft filters C&P these days, but I'd say Fram is the most C&P filter these days since Purolator lost quite a few users here.
Yes I used the Purolator 14610 (7317 equivalent) on a Nissan Frontier for several thousand miles, I believe the 14610 was one of the worst for tearing? I bought a case from ebay. When I sold the truck I had 3 left so I gave them to my parents for my moms Subaru. My dad had the 3 in his garage, so I cut at least 2 of them them and they were good. It was in that same time frame as the tearing, so maybe it was luck?

Yes I used the Purolator 14610 (7317 equivalent) on a Nissan Frontier for several thousand miles, I believe the 14610 was one of the worst for tearing? I bought a case from ebay. When I sold the truck I had 3 left so I gave them to my parents for my moms Subaru. My dad had the 3 in his garage, so I cut at least 2 of them them and they were good. It was in that same time frame as the tearing, so maybe it was luck?
Yes, the Purolator 14610 torn pretty often as seen from C&P postings here, but of course they all don't tear - it's luck of the draw and use conditions probably played a role too. So if you never found any then you were lucky.

Yes, the Purolator 14610 torn pretty often as seen from C&P postings here, but of course they all don't tear - it's luck of the draw and use conditions probably played a role too. So if you never found any then you were lucky.
Prove what you say or it didn’t happen. Anyone can just say things. Go ahead spend 15 mins on showing the posts, just because I demand you to. 😄

Geeez ... now you're locked on to showing proof of everything. Think something in the skull must have shorted out. 😂

Some people can work the "show proof" thing, but it isn't working here because everyone knows there isn't anything to back up the challenge by the questioner.

This is called making weird posts and grasping at straws. What is it with this particular topic that brings all this nonsensical weirdness out of the woodwork?

Prove what you say or it didn’t happen. Anyone can just say things. Go ahead spend 15 mins on showing the posts, just because I demand you to. 😄
You've seen this before I'm sure - is this proof enough. This was member Stu_Rock's spreadsheet he started when all the torn filters were showing up. And this list wasn't keep up to date by any means, as there were a lot more reported than what his spreadsheet shows.

TORN FILTERS REPORTED ON BITOG SPREADSHEET

You've seen this before I'm sure - is this proof enough. This was member Stu_Rock's spreadsheet he started when all the torn filters were showing up. And this list wasn't keep up to date by any means, as there were a lot more reported than what his spreadsheet shows.

TORN FILTERS REPORTED ON BITOG SPREADSHEET
That’s enuff.
Geeez ... now you're locked on to showing proof of everything. Think something in the skull must have shorted out. 😂
Correct on the first but not the second. Just make sure you show the proof every time from now on. We all knew about the old posts but since the new norm is show or didn’t happen, the norm applies to all.

Some people can work the "show proof" thing, but it isn't working here because everyone knows there isn't anything to back up the challenge by the questioner.

This is called making weird posts and grasping at straws. What is it with this particular topic that brings all this nonsensical weirdness out of the woodwork?
That’s for your doctor to figure out.

Correct on the first but not the second. Just make sure you show the proof every time from now on. We all knew about the old posts but since the new norm is show or didn’t happen, the norm applies to all.
I've shown more proof than you ever have, or ever will.

A reasonable nice person response, thank you.

In other words, one personality doesn't know about the other ... 😂

Back