Barium - 0 3
TBN - 2.7
viscosity- 52.6
Flashpoint-385
Fuel - 0.5
Antifreeze-0.0
water - 0.0
insolubles-0.5

Blackstone's comments- The viscosity of this oil was just slightly low for a 5w20, but we didn't find any gas or other contaminants in the oil that would cause a viscosity shift. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 4,550 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use 3,268 miles, and we found all wear at better than average levels. Air and oil filtration were working okay while this oil was in use. No moisture or anti-freeze found. The oil could have stayed in use longer. The TBN was 2.7, showing a little active additive left, though not much.

Alright guys, let me know what you think!
cheers.gif
By the way, this oil was in service for about 5 months. I am currently running Penzoil to compare, I will post results when I change next. Thank's in advance for any comments!

quote:

Originally posted by BlackF250:
[QB**-*-*-
Alright guys, let me know what you think!
cheers.gif
By the way, this oil was in service for about 5 months. I am currently running Penzoil to compare, I will post results when I change next. Thank's in advance for any comments! [/QB]

shocked.gif
Nice
Real nice, I like.
I only question the TBN, I don't like to see it at this level, However the vehicle is still real new and it was a long drain (timewise).
patriot.gif

Viscosity is around 8.2 cst. Several 5w20's START at this or lower viscosities (Chevron Supreme, Texaco Havoline, Citgo Supergard come to mind), so the comment that the 5w20 was thinner than expected is quite odd. In any event, it is solidly in grade and isn't a cause for concern.

Given the way TBN results come out of Blackstone, a TBN of 2 or less is time to change (to me anyways), anything over 2 still has life.

For reference, a VOA of this oil I did several months ago came back with a TBN of 4.6.

[ January 10, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

I think this lube has done a great job in this particular engine from looking at the wear levels but I wouldn't push it farther than 3k-3500 miles max.

[ January 10, 2004, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: JWRENCH ]

I don't see any reason why this oil couldn't be pushed to 4000+ miles in this vehicle. Everything looks great, TBN is not that low if you compare it to the VOA TBN (Mobil-1 and Amsoil have a TBN drop of more than 4 in the first 1000 miles).

Silicon is a bit high, but that's probably from the sealants and nothing to worry about. Once again, NO lead with a 5w-20, showing these oils do the job just fine in engines calling for 5w-20's.

Nice numbers. I'm guessing this 3.0 V6 is the Mazda engine? I look forward to seeing how the Pennzoil compares.

I don't own a vehicle that calls for 5w-20 but it is an interesting development to watch.

I bet this oil would get slayed in a GM piston slapper.
lol.gif

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Pretty good results ... but I would expect them in a fresh (but not too fresh) vehicle and only 3,200 miles on the oil.

Look forward to see how the Pennzoil compares.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Nope, this is not a Mazda engine. It is a Ford motor first used in the Taurus. Mazda does use it in the Tribute, wich is a rebaged Ford Escape, and The Mazda 6. Ford took over control of Mazda in 1996 and most parts sharing has been Mazda using Ford parts. However the transmission in the Escape is a Mazda design.

Looks pretty darn good to my novice eye! I would imagine as the engine gets a few more miles on it the results will be even better and the OCI could be extended toward the 4,000 + mark.

What are the normal service and severe service OCIs according to your owner's manual?

Looking forward to seeing the Pennz numbers.

Mikep

The Motorcraft 5w-20 puts in another good showing. I've never seen a poor or even mediocre UOA from this oil.

BTW, this oil starts at 8.8cSt, so it sheared very little.

[ January 12, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

quote:

Originally posted by BlackF250:
You are correct RoadRascal, the increased hp is due to a revised intake.

Ford recomends 5,000 mile changes for "normal" useage and 3,000 for "severe". This is actually my mothers Escape, She does a lot of short less than 3 mile trips to the grocery store, etc. However she does also work 11 miles from home which is all highway, so I guess that burns off any fuel dilution and condensation. She only puts on 8,000 miles per year, that is why I have stuck to the 3,000 mile changes. I guess I could actually go longer, mayby I'll try 4,000 after my run with penzoil. I don't want to go longer this time for comparison sake.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back