Motorcraft 5W-30 Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new to the website and just received my oil analysis from Blackstone Labs and I thought I would post the results.

2000 Ford F-150 5.4L V-8
Miles on truck - 34,968
Miles on oil - 2,909
No oil added between changes
Motorcraft 5W-30
Motorcraft Oil Filter FL-820s
Motorcraft Air Filter
Truck is driven fairly easy, with 85% of all miles in heavy city traffic. (Dallas)

Aluminum - 1
Chromium - 0
Iron - 6
Copper - 5
Lead - 1
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 1
Nickel - 1
Manganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 0
Silicon - 9
Sodium - 2
Calcium - 2093
Magnesium - 21
Phosphorus - 728
Zinc - 908
Barium - 0
210 Viscosity - 56.9
Flashpoint - 430
Fuel - Antifreeze - 0.0
Water - 0.0
Insolubles - 0.2

TBN - 7.5

I'm looking to get away from the 3000 mile change interval, but not interested in going synthetic at this point. How about a 5000 mile interval? If so, should I move to a 10W-30? Thanks for any input.

JY

The oil has broken down to a 20 weight. I'd suggest 10W30 and repeat the analysis at 3k again, then extend from there.

[ August 16, 2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I agree with Vader, that 5w30 (like most 5w30s) has thinned out too much and a 10w30 would provide better protection for the longer interval you desire. The wear metals are pretty good though, and that TBN shows that the oil wasn't doing such a bad job. I wish Blackstone would show oxidation numbers though. That would REALLY HELP to determine how long an oil can last.

Have you decided which brand of oil you will try next?

[ August 16, 2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Not sure as to what conventional oil to try at this point, but I'm open to suggestions. Thank you.

JY

If I were going to run conventional oil, I'd probably go with either Pennzoil, Havoline or Chevron Supreme. I don't know much about the Motorcraft stuff, and if it's actually made by one of the other oil companies or not. Does anyone know if this stuff is simply one of the major brands relabeled?

The Motorcraft oil is a Conoco product that I believe uses Pennzoil Group II+ basestock and a differnent add package than Pennzoil.

Johnny should be able to either back me up or prove me wrong.

The Pennzoil and CONOCO Group II+ basestocks are both made at the co-owned refinery in Lake Charles Louisiana.

By the way, 85% city driving in Dallas is not easy driving. It is very severe on your engine.

I run Pennzoil or Mobil in conventional applications. Whichever is cheaper at the time or in the bulk tank at the quick lube...

By the way, 85% city driving in Dallas is not easy driving. It is very severe on your engine.[/QB][/QUOTE]

You are correct. It is severe driving. What I meant to say was that "I take it 'easy' on the truck". I don't baby it, but I don't beat on it either.

JY

Vader: Your Daddy lets you run Mobil.
grin.gif

Otis: I know what you mean. I lived in Dallas for 40 years. And everytime I go back to visit my sister, I know why I left. Way to much traffic for me. Now you can't tell where Dallas ends and Ft Worth begins. Just to big for me.

Otis,

These results are excellent ....

With a TBN of 7.5 and a solids level of only 0.2% (which reflects oxidation/nitration), I see no reason not to go to a 5000 mile change interval. I'd suggest the Chevron 10w-30, which uses the Group II+ basestock.

Ted

I don't think Chevron uses Group II+ basestock to tell the truth. I think it is just a II.

Johnny?

Bud

I could be wrong but I thought all the SL oils needed a group 2+ base in order to pass the
stricter qualifications? (all the conventionals that is)

Patman: You do not need Group II+ or Group II to pass the SL test. Mobil Drive Clean is a Group I with a robust additive package.

Budman: I'm not sure about the Chevron products. They have the capability to make Group II+.

Wouldn't the 10w-30 not reach the camshafts as quickly in the modular engines?

One of the reasons I was told to use 5W-30 in my 2000 4.6L SOHC V8 was for the oil to move up to the camshafts sooner.

That is a good question.

As the temps go down the oil gets thicker and flows slower.

The barrier additives are doing the lubricating at startup (zinc, moly, antimony??) until the oil gets there. Any oil left on the surface will also lubricate before oil starts to flow.

In my unprofessional opinion, there is no substitute for good barrier lube additives.

Metroplex,

You are correct ...this is one reason why OHC engines are going towards low viscosity (0w-30/5w-30/0w-40/5w-40) oils. I'd run a 0w-30/5w-30 synthetic in your motor ....

You want to operate under boundary lubrication conditions for the shortest time possible and not have to rely on antiwear additives. Engines are not designed to run under sustained boundary lubrication conditions. That is why running a 15w-40 in an engine designed for a 5w-30 is not a good practice - particularly in cold weather!

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
Wouldn't the 10w-30 not reach the camshafts as quickly in the modular engines?

One of the reasons I was told to use 5W-30 in my 2000 4.6L SOHC V8 was for the oil to move up to the camshafts sooner.

I agree with the statements about puttng the lower viscosity oils in new OHC engines.
The interesting thing is that Ford now puts 15W-50 in the DOHC supercharged modular engine in the new Cobra from the factory.
confused.gif
Go figure???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back