Motor Trend rips 2020 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Welp, I stopped reading at pg 8 in this thread, so hopefully this hasn't already been mentioned. But someone commented that they would not buy the new explorer because it's becoming common to law enforcement in the special service package trim. I submit that a lot of buyers actually like that aspect, and it makes them feel tough and cool on the road. They probably aren't tough and cool, but it makes them feel that way.

Being able to pull up behind a left lane hog and having them move out of the way is a powerful and wonderful feeling.

Or have them block you in doing 5 under...

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by grampi

So you can continue speeding?

35.gif
I remember how this discussion went the last time.

I'm not going to argue about the whole "flow of traffic vs self righteous left lane hogs who won't let me deal with the consequences of my own actions" thing.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I used to hit people with the dopplar when I saw them fly by and noted a detector on the dash. Epic.

There is an unmarked blacked out Durango that I swear is toying with me
lol.gif

I love it when people try to justify their own bad behavior by using other people's bad behavior as an example...

I love it when people try to justify their own bad behavior by using other people's bad behavior as an example...

Camping in the left lane is in fact against the law in many states.

Ohio's right-lane statute - ORC 4511.25(B)(1) - says that if you are driving:

Under the speed limit (at "less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic")
Then you must drive in the right-hand lane
Far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable (RC 4511.25)
The Columbus ordinance (2131.01) says you must drive "as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway."

If you're going 70 in a 70 in the left lane on a multi lane highway/interstate, and you're blocking people from doing 75, you are in fact breaking the law.

Camping in the left lane is in fact against the law in many states.

Ohio's right-lane statute - ORC 4511.25(B)(1) - says that if you are driving:

Under the speed limit (at "less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic")
Then you must drive in the right-hand lane
Far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable (RC 4511.25)
The Columbus ordinance (2131.01) says you must drive "as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway."

If you're going 70 in a 70 on a multi lane highway/interstate, and you're blocking people from doing 75, you are in fact breaking the law.

Unlike speeders, right?

You have confused legality with morality. The speed limit used to be 55mph. This was deemed legal. When the laws changed to allow 65-75mph, this was deemed legal. Was driving 65 when the speed limit was legally 55 morally repugnant, and "bad behavior", or was it simply illegal? Did morality change when the law changed? Is the law your ultimate guide to "good behavior"?

Conversely speaking, if you did something which was legal but morally wrong, would that then be acceptable? Even looking further, if one drives 65 on a stretch of freeway that is then by petition lowered to 55, by law, have you been exhibiting bad behavior all along, and now the law simply has exposed it?

Let's not get too wrapped up around how small towns and states generate taxes from the road, yeah?

Originally Posted by Ws6

You have confused legality with morality. The speed limit used to be 55mph. This was deemed legal. When the laws changed to allow 65-75mph, this was deemed legal. Was driving 65 when the speed limit was legally 55 morally repugnant, and "bad behavior", or was it simply illegal? Did morality change when the law changed? Is the law your ultimate guide to "good behavior"?

Conversely speaking, if you did something which was legal but morally wrong, would that then be acceptable? Even looking further, if one drives 65 on a stretch of freeway that is then by petition lowered to 55, by law, have you been exhibiting bad behavior all along, and now the law simply has exposed it?

Let's not get too wrapped up around how small towns and states generate taxes from the road, yeah?

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of someone who is okay with breaking the law by speeding, but is not okay with people who break the law by left lane camping...people tend to only support the laws that are the most convenient for them...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

I was merely pointing the hypocrisy of someone who is okay with breaking the law by speeding, but is not okay with people who break the law by left lane camping...people tend to uphold the laws that are the most convenient for them...

I stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing. Great assumption though.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I was merely pointing the hypocrisy of someone who is okay with breaking the law by speeding, but is not okay with people who break the law by left lane camping...people tend to uphold the laws that are the most convenient for them...

I stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing. Great assumption though.

Great assumption? Did you not just site a law about left lane camping, and then condone speeding pretty much in the same post? I think you did...

Great assumption? Did you not just site a law about left lane camping, and then condone speeding pretty much in the same post? I think you did...

I never once said I didn't speed. I go with the reasonable flow of traffic and keep my car out of the left lane unless I'm passing someone else. Which under the Ohio law I posted, is 100% legal. Do you not know what "reasonable" means?

I never once said I didn't speed. I go with the reasonable flow of traffic and keep my car out of the left lane unless I'm passing someone else. Which under the Ohio law I posted, is 100% legal. Do you not know what "reasonable" means?

If they knew what reasonable meant they wouldn't be arguing with you. You are quoting laws and they are quoting their feelings. Clearly you are the one being unreasonable
wink.gif

Did you not just site a law about left lane camping, and then condone speeding pretty much in the same post? I think you did...

If I remember correctly from the last time you got all indignant over this discussion, there was a subsequent admission that you left-lane camped because you'll do the limit in whatever lane you are operating in, regardless of the speed of traffic.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of someone who is okay with breaking the law by speeding, but is not okay with people who break the law by left lane camping...people tend to only support the laws that are the most convenient for them...

It is not on you to decide who is braking law and who is not. If you drive in left lane you can get cited for two violations, obstructing traffic and driving in the left lane while not passing.
Whether someone is speeding or not is not your problem. Your argument is: I drive in left lane to prevent speeders? That is not your job. Stick in right lane, and if someone is driving 90 in 75, there is an institution that will take care of that.
On another note, obstructing traffic by driving in left lane is actually far more dangerous than someone speeding 20mph over.

Am I the only one who simply hates "vegan" seats?!? It's pleather, let's call it what it is. I was pleasantly surprised with the VTex seats in the 17 Jetta SE I had but in an upmarket vehicle I expect real cow hide. I don't wear plastic shoes, I wear leather. I don't generally like vinyl seats because they don't breathe worth a hoot. In a perfect world automakers would put nice, breathable, durable cloth seats in the cars. Rant over,

Left lane camping is I'm willing to stake every cent I own more dangerous, and cause of more accidents than speeding 5 mph over. Because people get agitated at said left lane annoyances, and then will try to get buy aggressively and or the camper finally realizes he is being a hindrance and then will try to move into proper lane just at the same time as the guy trying to get buy, and or another car has caught up to him as he takes his sweet time to change lanes. One thing all these left lane campers have in common, you look at them and it's like they are in their own little world and are oblivious to their surroundings. Eyes straight ahead, hands at 10-2 looking like a 🧟â€â™€ï¸ zombie.

Originally Posted by domer10
Left lane camping is I'm willing to stake every cent I own more dangerous, and cause of more accidents than speeding 5 mph over. Because people get agitated at said left lane annoyances, and then will try to get buy aggressively and or the camper finally realizes he is being a hindrance and then will try to move into proper lane just at the same time as the guy trying to get buy, and or another car has caught up to him as he takes his sweet time to change lanes. One thing all these left lane campers have in common, you look at them and it's like they are in their own little world and are oblivious to their surroundings. Eyes straight ahead, hands at 10-2 looking like a 🧟â€â™€ï¸ zombie.

Absolutely.
But this is the worst part; they are driving 65 in 75, then comes construction zone and speed limit is 45, bunch of workers, equipment, everyone drops speed, they still keep driving 65mph.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by domer10

Absolutely.
But this is the worst part; they are driving 65 in 75, then comes construction zone and speed limit is 45, bunch of workers, equipment, everyone drops speed, they still keep driving 65mph.

Yep, or the ones turning onto the street as you are oncoming at speed limit, but instead of waiting for you they proceed to make the turn (which I am guilty of, but have the presence of mind to speed up) where these guys make the turn and then proceed to 15-20 k below you forcing you to jam on the brakes.....like I said, they are in their own world and feel as if they are only ones on road. Listen I'm not all for speeding, but if I choose to go 5-10 over limit and in proper setting where I'm not endangering lives, and more than capable of being in control.....than its me taking the risk for the ticket. I or we do not need people to ride the left lane, and use the excuse "I'm doing it to prevent speeding". When most of the the speed limits were set at a time it took cars a lot longer to stop, and they have not changed the limit to reflect current standards. Studies have shown that if everyone did the speed limit on highways at minimum, and there were no left lane riders.....there would be less jams, less accordion effect during peak times etc and mainly less accidents.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Man you guys make the best case for self driving vehicles...

Does your Tesla have autopilot? How is it? Is it a bit unnerving or is it more like driving a vehicle with adaptive cruise?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Did you not just site a law about left lane camping, and then condone speeding pretty much in the same post? I think you did...

If I remember correctly from the last time you got all indignant over this discussion, there was a subsequent admission that you left-lane camped because you'll do the limit in whatever lane you are operating in, regardless of the speed of traffic.

Then you don't remember correctly because I never said I do that, nor do I do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back