Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Right on, O/K … sometimes I think we need a MH doctor on the site,
(one that works from the shoulders up.)

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Ws6
GM knows how to do a transmission and suspension and engine.

That's what I thought before I bought a Sierra with a 8L90.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Ws6

Oof. I'm not up and up on their current stuff. My knowledge with them stops around 2005.

I'm no Ford fanboy. However, I think Ford will be around for a good long while. It may end up merging with one of the other global players though.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I'm not a big fan of the new Explorer, but not much in that segment is really exciting. The thing that gets me with most of these SUVs now is that... what people really need/want are minivans with AWD for snow/poor weather. Most SUVs have already started morphing into minivans slowly. See current Honda Pilot compared to the previous gen. No doubt the new one is more aerodynamic, but in doing so loses all the bulky strong styling. I also think most new cars... and SUVs... are just containers for tech you're paying for that will be oudated in a year. This isn't just one brands issue.

Still, it sounds like from that article all things considered the Pilot would be the way to go when comparing those two. Of course, the Pilot had some transmission issues a few years back now too...

AWD minivans have been available (Chrysler minivans offered AWD at one time, as did Ford in the Aerostar, as well as the Mazda MPV and the Vanagon, and previous Toyota offerings, those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head), but slowly died out mostly due to Crossover SUV's. The only hold out is

[Linked Image from picolio.auto123.com]

Hopefully AWD is still an option when it gets redesigned on the TNGA platform

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

AWD minivans have been available, but slowly died out mostly due to Crossover SUV's. The only hold out is

Long live the Previa! Now that was and AWD mini-van. A shame only the Sienna comes to the US, as the newest ones are quite nice if you're looking for an underpowered AWD van.

When you consider that auto magazines make their money from car ads, you have to read through their "reviews" which a pretty high filter. Which is why I think the new Explorer must be pretty bad to get this negative of a review from MT.

A lot of the negative reviews stated the quality of the interior materials as well as the fit and finish. While the trend is towards soft touch materials inside and less hard plastic, it sounds like Ford is going in the opposite direction.

To me it comes across a bit ominous since Ford usually has pretty good interiors generally.

Originally Posted by glock19
Originally Posted by Ws6

Don't forget all the GM intake gasket issues...the timing chain issues....the cooling system issues etc....

Originally Posted by PimTac
A lot of the negative reviews stated the quality of the interior materials as well as the fit and finish. While the trend is towards soft touch materials inside and less hard plastic, it sounds like Ford is going in the opposite direction.

To me it comes across a bit ominous since Ford usually has pretty good interiors generally.

My CX5 is all "soft touch", more or less. I mean, other than the exact center of the console where the nav controls are or something. However, I find myself also appreciating "hard" interiors like what my 1988 Mustang GT had. I like both, honestly. Different aesthetic and vibe.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

Well 4wd... If we get a MH doctor on here... I will certainly make sure you get the first referral
lol.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

Well 4wd... If we get a MH doctor on here... I will certainly make sure you get the first referral
lol.gif

You all think people who work in mental health are well balanced, rofl!

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

lol.gif

Quite true!!!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by 4WD

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

lol.gif

Ohh I agree....
lol.gif

Though a referral for 4wd wiould still be helpful
lol.gif

Originally Posted by JOD

AWD minivans have been available, but slowly died out mostly due to Crossover SUV's. The only hold out is

Long live the Previa! Now that was and AWD mini-van. A shame only the Sienna comes to the US, as the newest ones are quite nice if you're looking for an underpowered AWD van.

When you consider that auto magazines make their money from car ads, you have to read through their "reviews" which a pretty high filter. Which is why I think the new Explorer must be pretty bad to get this negative of a review from MT.

I don't think nearly 300 hp (rated at 296) in the Sienna is underpowered.

Underpowered was the Previa AWD, even with the supercharger.

Last edited:
Last I looked, a vehicle that passes for a SUV or CUV is cool and trendy among the majority of buyers, though perhaps not for the members of our posting community. And last I looked, any vehicle that passes for a minivan is a vehicle that the majority of buyers want nothing to do with.

I don't doubt that for many people, a minivan would better suit their real needs. If it takes repackaging something close to a minivan into something that passes for a cool and trendy SUV or CUV to enhance sales, well then that is a good thing for the vehicle manufacturers.

Originally Posted by JOD

Sorry, I meant to say the current Previa, sold in Asia. I think it still uses the 2.4L. It's a nice vehicle--and a shame that the slightly smaller vans over there don't make it to the US

I saw this review and he can he harsh but truthful. I guess the other reviews(never saw them) only make this one ring true. The transmission is a riot:

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

Sorry, I meant to say the current Previa, sold in Asia. I think it still uses the 2.4L. It's a nice vehicle--and a shame that the slightly smaller vans over there don't make it to the US

You mean Estima. But, in Japan and Hong Kong, it is available in hybrid form, with the 2AZ-motor.

You mean Estima. But, in Japan and Hong Kong, it is available in hybrid form, with the 2AZ-motor.

Actually, in Taiwan, which is where I've been in them, they still use the Previa name.

The streets are so narrow in much of TW that the full size vans are of limited utility once you get off the main roads. It's a pretty common rental vehicle in Taiwan. I still like the Toyota Wish better, but it's a nice little van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back