motor oil for ford 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

You seem to not understand how much you are exaggerating. And you forget that sometimes beating the dead horse is valuable. This site is for people to discuss oil, and that's what this thread is doing. If you don't like a bit of redundancy, then web forums aren't for you. It's inevitable. So I'd think it best not to cry wolf too early.

The facts:
Factory fill for OP was 5w-20.
OP wants to use 5w-30 and was hoping to find reaffirmation here.

The real question:
Will 5w-30 actually be harmful, and if not, are there any benefits from using it?

The dilemma:
Some would rather put focus on the fact that there are likely no benefits from 5w-30 in this vehicle, but they fail to see that it probably will not cause any harm either.

So what's the answer?
There is no one answer. This is because either oil will work for the OP.

This same topic, admittedly, has been thrown around alot, but maybe it is different for different vehicles. For instance, my truck's engine. It was originally spec'd for 5w-30, and then was backspec'd to 5w-20. I use 5w-30.

Instead of asking "why," ask "why not." If the OP wants to use 5w-30, I honestly think that's fine.

~ Triton

Well said. It is only fair to attempt to be impartial and weigh the information and make a common sense decision.

Yes, the warranty calls for 5w20 and a 30 weight isn't allowed for in the owner's manual - . Yes the FF is 5w20 and the Track Pack specifies 5w50.

I didn't see anyone saying what the Euro or Australian specifications are for this engine. Did anyone bother to look? There are plenty of threads where many other Ford vehicles are supposed to use 5w20 in the US, but overseas are using much heavier weights.

Bottom line question: will 5w30 do harm to the engine? IMO it will not.

Thanks Kuato. I always try to do my best to help others find the happy medium with a logical response. And I agree, 5w-30 will do no harm.

Originally Posted By: Ducman

I hate to add some confusion.
And I'm not sure what the owners manuals say.
I'm surprised at how much oil is in these things (8.5 litres)

But I just did a quick and dirty check of some different oil company's website recommendations out of curiosity.

Castrol don't make a recommendation, but they refer you to a phone help line.

Valvolene wont make a recommendation, but say to "refer to dealer".
But for the 5.4 litre they say to use a 0w-40 grade.

Shell recommend Helix Ultra in 5w-40 grade for 2008-2009 model years, but nothing after those years. Perhaps it's only for the 5.4 litre engine?

Mobil recommend Mobil 1 in a 0w-20 grade.

Penrite recommend an API SN 5w-20 grade that complies with Ford spec's M2C925-A/M2C930-A/M2C945-A.
And they also recommend an API SN, ILSAC GF-5, GM dexos 1, 5w-30 grade that complies with Ford spec M2C946-A, GM4718M/6094M.

It would seem the options are wide open, and a 5w-30 grade wouldn't necessarily do any harm.

I do note the different Ford spec's, that apply to the different grades of Penrite oil they recommend.
I think Penrite are conservative in their recommendations at this stage in that the 5w-20 grade will be for while the vehicles are still under warranty, whilst still leaving the door open to the use of a thicker oil.
I'd be willing to bet, they would be inclined to drop the thin oil recommendation after the vehicles are out of warranty and just go with the 5w-30 grade(or thicker?) as they are inclined to do.

The 4.6L and 5.4L (obviously) are both modular engines and thus should basically have the same oil requirements/specifications, so with what you've researched about the 5.4L being fine running on a 0w-40, it adds another reason as to why there should be no problem running 5w-30 where the OP's vehicle spec'd 5w-20 from the FF. Even if it is the newer 5.0L coyote, I wouldn't think that referring to the specifications of the 4.6L and 5.4L modulars' specifications would be a problem.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

This same topic was covered before,do a search.You can rehash subjects only so far. And I'll say it AGAIN as well,this is how other members feel as well.New information is good,but we re-hash everything.

5w20 vs 5w30 threads are beat to death around here for just another example.I could list more,but frankly I dont have the time.

Yes, we know. I said that in my post - "This same topic, admittedly, has been thrown around alot, but maybe it is different for different vehicles. For instance, my truck's engine. It was originally spec'd for 5w-30, and then was backspec'd to 5w-20. I use 5w-30." The whole ordeal about using 5w-20 where 5w-30 is spec'd in a Ford v8 is really not a big deal, despite the amount of fuss that's been all over BITOG about it. Running 5w-30 isn't going to cause any harm.

~ Triton

Two walmarts in town. At the second one they had Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 for the same price as the platinum. Figured what the [censored]. Picked up two 5g jugs of the stuff in 5w20.

Will definitely stick with the 20 viscosity for now. Years down the road after the warranty is gone I may change to 30. Then again I may stick with 20. Evidently I'm guilty of over thinking/agonizing over this without much need. She'll run fine on either.

Originally Posted By: Riptide
Evidently I'm guilty of over thinking/agonizing over this without much need.

Isn't that what this website is all about?
28.gif

Originally Posted By: Riptide
Two walmarts in town. At the second one they had Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 for the same price as the platinum. Figured what the [censored]. Picked up two 5g jugs of the stuff in 5w20.

Will definitely stick with the 20 viscosity for now. Years down the road after the warranty is gone I may change to 30. Then again I may stick with 20. Evidently I'm guilty of over thinking/agonizing over this without much need. She'll run fine on either.

That's what this forum is about.
Being able to bounce an idea off like minded people is a good thing.

That sounds like a fair and reasonable plan.
Perhaps you may like to do a Used Oil Analysis at the end of your normal oil drain interval, to get an idea how well your choice of oil is going in service.

In one of my earlier posts I said that to date, I haven't seen the Castrol Edge for sale in retail stores in 5w-20 grade.
Well, I was I the local Autobarn on Sunday to check some things out.
Lo and behold there it was sitting on the shelf in a 5 litre bottle.
I suppose it's logical, seeing as it's the only oil that's "recommended" for the FPV's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back