motor oil for ford 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing the b.s. that's common knowledge on the web.

1. CAFE and the required testing drove the move to thinner oils.

2. ZDDP was re-spec'ed to no more than 0.01 by the manufacturers
becuase they couldn't devise a test to quantify catalytic con-
verter poisoning or life when ZDDP was used in the oil. Hence
the move to roller lifter camshafts.

3. The move to tighter tolerances was cited as creating the need
for thinner oils. My 1956 Chrysler was built with main bear-
ing clearence to be: 0.001" to 0.0015". So why didn't Chrysler
spec 20 weight oil in 1956.

p.s. CAFE is Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loyd
It's amazing the b.s. that's common knowledge on the web.

1. CAFE and the required testing drove the move to thinner oils.

2. ZDDP was re-spec'ed to no more than 0.01 by the manufacturers
becuase they couldn't devise a test to quantify catalytic con-
verter poisoning or life when ZDDP was used in the oil. Hence
the move to roller lifter camshafts.

3. The move to tighter tolerances was cited as creating the need
for thinner oils. My 1956 Chrysler was built with main bear-
ing clearence to be: 0.001" to 0.0015". So why didn't Chrysler
spec 20 weight oil in 1956.

p.s. CAFE is Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency.

1. The truth is now impossible to know because of all the Internet blather, but 20-weight oil did exist when cafe meant "a nice place to eat a snack and have a cup of coffee".

2. The move to roller cams came before the decreases in zddp.

3. What viscosity did Chrysler spec in 1956?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My 'stang ('01 modular bullitt) ran like a dog pulling a trailer thru a tar pit with 30 grade. Back then the dealer didn't have any 20 on the shelf and the tecjh thought it was OK to use 30 in the built bullitt engine - W-R-ON-G!

STAY with the 20 on a lightly tuned coyote.

And TIG, what is "20wt" - no such terminology unless you mean 20w20.

And guys, isn't this a 2 gallon sump? - do you know how a sump size helps maintain low oil temps? Oil visvaries with temp (duh!) and the big sump may have thicker oil than it need with the 20 with just some moderate frisky street driving or 1/4 mile stuff which doesn't bother the engine much to bother on a 12 seconds with a mild tune.

You ask "what is 20wt". Well, since we are talking about an engine that calls for a 5-20, then we are talking about a 20wt oil. Since I thought M1 0-20 would be an excellant choice, and M1 0-20 does have the Ford spec. There, I spelled it out for you. How many BITOGER's are using 20-20 these days. I did use it in the late 60s for a while.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My 'stang ('01 modular bullitt) ran like a dog pulling a trailer thru a tar pit with 30 grade. Back then the dealer didn't have any 20 on the shelf and the tecjh thought it was OK to use 30 in the built bullitt engine - W-R-ON-G!

STAY with the 20 on a lightly tuned coyote.

And TIG, what is "20wt" - no such terminology unless you mean 20w20.

And guys, isn't this a 2 gallon sump? - do you know how a sump size helps maintain low oil temps? Oil visvaries with temp (duh!) and the big sump may have thicker oil than it need with the 20 with just some moderate frisky street driving or 1/4 mile stuff which doesn't bother the engine much to bother on a 12 seconds with a mild tune.

You ask "what is 20wt". Well, since we are talking about an engine that calls for a 5-20, then we are talking about a 20wt oil. Since I thought M1 0-20 would be an excellant choice, and M1 0-20 does have the Ford spec. There, I spelled it out for you. How many BITOGER's are using 20-20 these days. I did use it in the late 60s for a while.

But it's pretty clear that any 20 grade oil is just too thin and causes premature engine failure.

Back when engines ran heavier oil they lasted 300,000 miles no problem.

Now that everything is using 20 grade oil, nothing makes 100K without a rebuild or two

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
3. What viscosity did Chrysler spec in 1956?

Above 32F 30 grade. Above 10F 20 grade. Above -10F 10 grade. Below -10F 5 grade.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Just use 5-20
This is what this engine was built for unless it has a bunch of miles on it which yours doesnt
Motorcraft is very good oil by the way
I would just keep using it

The engine was built for 5W-50.

Then why does Ford recommend a 5W-20?
$$$

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How many times do we have to go over the differences between the track pack and the standard GT? If it's not a track pack use 5w20 synthetic.
IDK. The 99 Vulcan was backspeced to 5w-20 and yet you continue to use the outdated spec. Why do you do that?

How many times do we have to go over the differences between the track pack and the standard GT? If it's not a track pack use 5w20 synthetic.

In a nutshell,this forum has turned into a total mess with the same topics discussed over and over and over.In return alot of members are either:

A)leaving OR B)not posting anymore because everything has been beat to death around here lately with topics like this and other topics that are covered day after day.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

In a nutshell,this forum has turned into a total mess with the same topics discussed over and over and over.In return alot of members are either:

A)leaving OR B)not posting anymore because everything has been beat to death around here lately with topics like this and other topics that are covered day after day.

They can go ahead and shut this area down. There's nothing to discuss if the owners manual is gospel. It's very hard to confuse "Use X123 spec oil and change when the monitor tells you to."

I have a 2014 Mustang GT, use 5W20 oil that meets Ford spec. I use Castrol Edge Extended Performance in it and no complaints. I had no issues with the Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend, very solid oil for the Mustang

IDK. The 99 Vulcan was backspeced to 5w-20 and yet you continue to use the outdated spec. Why do you do that?

Because it drinks 5w30 1qt/1k

Then there is something else going on. I had a 2001 Vulcan that used 5w-20 its entire life. It consumed / leaked no measurable amount.

What oil/weights were used in the past?

So what if you drive a regular non track pack GT in the same manner you would a track pack GT? Should you then use the recommended weight/viscosity of the track pack car?

Sorry for dredging up the whole 20 viscosity CAFE debate thing with Fords. I know it's been debated a billion times over and I know that nobody has ever to my knowledge proven an oil related failure due to using a 20 viscosity oil in these cars. I don't think it will blow up the car to keep using it.

Originally Posted By: Riptide
So what if you drive a regular non track pack GT in the same manner you would a track pack GT? Should you then use the recommended weight/viscosity of the track pack car?

Sorry for dredging up the whole 20 viscosity CAFE debate thing with Fords. I know it's been debated a billion times over and I know that nobody has ever to my knowledge proven an oil related failure due to using a 20 viscosity oil in these cars. I don't think it will blow up the car to keep using it.
The track pack has an oil cooler and upgraded radiator which should have lessened the need for heavier oil yet they speced 5W-50. I wouldn't beat a regular GT with 5w-20 after seeing all this.

Not everyone who hits up a road course has a track pack car. And many of them are using the 20 viscosity oils. I'm guessing that the cars just go into safe mode if they detect unsafe temps and that is what saves them.

A little background info for those that don't know. Scott Whitehead was one of the engineers who worked on the ford modulars. He's been quoted as stating he would never use a 20 viscosity oil in a modular motor. It's bad. 30 viscosity at a minimum. This has "scared" a lot of mustang owners into not using the 20 any more. Google "scott whitehead oil" and you'll see the debate.

My issue with it is that it seems like a baseless appeal to authority. Whitehead refused to provide any actual information. No data. No nothing. Meanwhile in the real world we know the 20 viscosity oil isn't destroying engines as far as we can prove.

People know the 30 viscosity stuff will work OK and there isn't any proof I've seen that it will actually harm anything. Therefore they use it just to be "on the safe side" w/regard to Scott's comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back