Mothers Synwax vs Griots Sealant vs Duaragloss 105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the updates coming, please. I currently have Collinite 845 on top of Duragloss 501 on both vehicles. It has been 5 months and both are bearing well. However, I usually detail every March-April/October and so have never tested this combo past 6 months---but it goes the distance each time.

Month three complete. No snow this past month, plenty of rain, pollen, sun, etc. Car still parked outside.

Once again, all three samples still bead the water well, no noticeable difference.
The surface has lost most of its 'slickness' when you feel it, but the microfiber still runs over it quietly. All three samples feel about the same. All three samples still have a decent shine, and again, about even from what my eye can determine.

At this point, if I was not running this experiment, I would probably bring it inside and redo the entire car to freshen the luster, and get the slick feeling back as I equate some of the protection abilities to the slipperiness, or at least use some Griot quick wax on it after a wash. But, I plan to leave it alone for at least another month.

Three month conclusion- all three products are about even in look and performance after this duration, so price and ease of use would be the determining factor if I was to recommend one. I will go another month and report back.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
Month three complete. No snow this past month, plenty of rain, pollen, sun, etc. Car still parked outside.

Once again, all three samples still bead the water well, no noticeable difference.
The surface has lost most of its 'slickness' when you feel it, but the microfiber still runs over it quietly. All three samples feel about the same. All three samples still have a decent shine, and again, about even from what my eye can determine.

At this point, if I was not running this experiment, I would probably bring it inside and redo the entire car to freshen the luster, and get the slick feeling back as I equate some of the protection abilities to the slipperiness, or at least use some Griot quick wax on it after a wash. But, I plan to leave it alone for at least another month.

Three month conclusion- all three products are about even in look and performance after this duration, so price and ease of use would be the determining factor if I was to recommend one. I will go another month and report back.

At the conclusion of the fourth month I have decided that the test has run its course. The test area has lost most of its ability to readily bead water, and the slickness of the paint has mostly diminished. 4 months in the NE winters is about as much as these three products could endure on an outside stored car. I have to admit that I went into this test thinking the Griots would be the best, but the final performance showed all three performed relatively the same, using non-scientific evaluation.
So, if I was to purchase one of these three products to use, my recommendation probably goes to the Synwax for its price, ease of purchase at many stores, and for sure the easiest of the products to apply.

I am thinking of doing another test with Duragloss 501, Collinite 845, and Griot's Best of Show wax.
Stay tuned.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
paulswagelock said:
I am thinking of doing another test with Duragloss 501, Collinite 845, and Griot's Best of Show wax.
Stay tuned.

I have all 3 and have used them and, even though every paint and environment is different, you have them in the right order in regards to longevity with Duragloss first and Griot's last.

Last edited:
I thought 4 months seemed pitiful, because I never lose beading, but then I saw that this car sits out. That explains it. Thanks for the test. Very informative. Need pics next time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I thought 4 months seemed pitiful, because I never lose beading, but then I saw that this car sits out. That explains it.).

To clarify, it was not like a never waxed vehicle, it's just that the water was just sheeting in large sections, versus small coin size beads. To me, that seems like the end of the life for the protection coat. So yes, 4 months outside during the winter was the end of life for all three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back