Mothers Synwax vs Griots Sealant vs Duaragloss 105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so the showdown of 3 synthetic polish sealants. I thought I would try to do an analysis on the three sealants. All claim to clean imperfections while leaving a brilliant shine, lasting up to 6 months.

I thought I would compare them for the 4 categories most important to users: ease of application, ease of removal, shine, durability.

I decided not to use either machines I have, rotary and dual action, and simply apply by hand. I figured not everyone has machines to use, so let's make it universal for everyone. The subjects - 2010 Silver Metallic Corolla, 2009 Dark Blue Metallic Jeep Liberty. Both cars paint were in good condition, with minor rain acid marks. I used IPA to clean off any old wax. I did not clay the cars, again figuring not everyone would do that when waxing.

Wax On
Application was by hand with a microfiber applicator. I did the trunk on the Corolla, and hood on the Jeep. Split both panels in thirds. I tried to use the same pressure and motion on all application areas. The Synwax wax noticeably easier to apply, almost effortless. It is thick, smooth, glides well, and is easy to see what is completed. The Griots was second, but not nearly as easy and did not glide as readily. The Duragloss was the most difficult to apply. It had little glide feel to it, was very thin, and difficult to determine what was done already. All three claim to have polishing abilities, so I expected some resistance during application.

Wax Off
I allowed 5 minutes of dry time, and all three were flashed off and ready to be removed. I used a folded microfiber towel for removal. Synwax removed the easiest, again noticeably easier. It took 3 passes of the towel to remove. I flipped and buffed the area. The Griots was second in this category as well. It took more pressure to remove than the Synwax, and additional passes. It was not difficult, but not nearly as easy as the Synwax. The Duragloss was the most difficult to remove. It took quite a bit of pressure compared to the others, and several additional passes of the towel. Again, this is relative and I would not classify it as difficult compared to the Kit wax of the 80's, but much more effort than the other two.

Shine
All three are polish and sealant. The Corolla paint was in pretty good condition to start. None of the three touched the light acid rain marks, but I really had to be looking in the paint to find them to begin with. So, no change in paint condition from any of the products. The Jeep (mother in law in from out of town) has not been waxed in a while, if ever. The paint was fine, but a little dull to start. All three cleaned up the paint and removed the light swirls in it. This is subjective, but I think the Griots did best, then Duragloss, then Synwax. Both cars had a nice shine from all three products. Again subjective, but I think the Synwax was the warmest shine, and the other two were equal and glassy-er. My opinion was on silver the three were about equal, and on the blue the Griots looked the shiniest, followed by Synwax then Duragloss. Given the lack of paint prep on the Jeep by claying, I think they all did a decent job. None have the warm glow of carnauba, but good given the claims of the products. None of the three smoothed the paint out like a tradition clay job would. The paint was slick with all 3, but the small imperfections could still be felt/heard when running a finger with light pressure over the surface.

Durability
Well, the Jeep will leave soon and I will not see it for a while, so the durability will be based on the Corolla only. This car sits out as my other 3 get the garage spots, so it will be a good real world test. It is rainy and snowy in western Pa this time of year, so in a few weeks I will have some updates to provide, and will update it again late winter.

Good test. I look forward to the update. I just applied DG105 to the new Jeep. It's my go-to for a quick sealant. I think it goes on/off effortlessly. I always apply to the whole vehicle (windows, paint, lenses, etc.), and then start buffing. Thus, it dries at least 30 min before removal. It is difficult to tell where you've been, but that also means it does not stain or dust. I'm almost out of DG105. I won't replace it because I have too many others to use.

I love SynWax because it's so easy. I also use Meguiars (sp?) Gold Class and that does give a better shine and lasts longer... but I really prefer the SynWax since it's so easy to use (and faster). With the SynWax I just go around the car with the wax, then around the car a second time to buff (no sections, whole thing at once) since it buffs so easily.

Please keep us updated! It will be interesting to see which lasts longer. Griot makes good stuff and I have their polish#3, which Griot's AIO sealant contains. If I were to guess, I would assume that the Mothers gives away first.

Great project. I am curious to see how Griot's sealant holds up because I am a diehard Griot's user. I used the "original" sealant Griot's first introduced about 5 years ago (maybe more) and it was easy to use and lasted about 6 months on a vehicle that was not garaged and saw many spray car washes and road salt from snow when I lived on the east coast in MD. That was a pretty good showing for the harsh use. The newer Griot's sealants come in 2 flavors now - sealant only and a cleaner/sealant. I currently just use their Best of Show Wax topped with their Carnuaba and I like the deep shine and durability. Griots just introduced there new line of Premium Carnauba this month and I can't wait to try that.

Was the Mother's the liquid version like the other two? I realize you said the #105 was more difficult to remove compared to the other two but I suspect it was applied too heavily. Since it is a bit hard to see where it's been applied it's easy to use too much unintentionally......just a thought having used it for years with no removal issues.

I look forward to the durability results also. From what I have read Mother's has a real sleeper of a product in their Synwax.

I noticed in another thread you mentioned Duragloss provided you with a free sample. Did Mothers and Griots also provide samples gratis? I think that part is worth mentioning since a company's goodwill goes a long way with me.

Thanks for the questions.

All 3 were liquids.

Duragloss sent the free sample, but I already had the other 2 products so I did not need to ask.

I have emailed Griots in the past with questions and they were responsive, but I never asked and they never offered to send a free sample.

I am certain I put the Duragloss on thin, as noted that I had a hard time telling what was done and what was not. The removal effort was not terrible, just much harder than the other two. Now, the paint was not prepped properly but I intentionally did not clay and prep as I felt many users of these products might not.

We had some cold rain last night. Water beading was even on all three samples. Used a leaf blower and the water shedded about the same, again no way to do this scientifically, but I was standing in the same spot the whole time. Dried the panels off. The Synwax felt the slickest of the three, enough difference to notice it using the microfiber towel.

I will continue to post my observations. Much of this is not scientific, and based on my judgement. I am not a professional detailer, but I am an obsessive clean freak who details his own cars, boat, jet skies, golf carts, etc. and has been at it for over 20 years.

I've posted multiple times over YEARS on this forum how much I like synwax. Nothing is easier to apply and remove. I live in very harsh area and my results have been superb even on a black vehicle.
2 or 3 weeks ago I tried nufinish cling. Horrible removal. So bad nothing positive can outway that. I tossed entire bottle into trash and will never purchase any nufinish product again. 4 days ago I got duragloss 111 and applied over the nufinish. Easy on/off and great shine will see over time how it last. Synwax is still easier to remove.

Originally Posted By: 2Fast4U
I've posted multiple times over YEARS on this forum how much I like synwax. Nothing is easier to apply and remove. I live in very harsh area and my results have been superb even on a black vehicle.
2 or 3 weeks ago I tried nufinish cling. Horrible removal. So bad nothing positive can outway that. I tossed entire bottle into trash and will never purchase any nufinish product again. 4 days ago I got duragloss 111 and applied over the nufinish. Easy on/off and great shine will see over time how it last. Synwax is still easier to remove.

I'm with you..Nufinish has no place in a real detailer or auto enthusiasts' garage.

I have recommended Nufinish and I'l explain why. When I detailed for a living I would always personally inspect the potential customers vehicle and speak with the owner for some time before giving an estimate. On a few occasions the owners were under the incorrect impression that they could get a new looking car inside and out for $45 or so. When it was realized that there is no way we could come to terms I would tell them about the Nufinsh liquid. It was their speed, budget, and skill level so it worked fine for them. Two of them sent me paying customers who could afford my services because I was honest with them and tried to help.

Yes there are better products available but Nufinsh sure beats neglect and leaving the paint to oxidize/fade.

Which nufinish ... cling/ is there a difference? All I can say is removal of cling is by far my worst waxing experience ever. The streaking was terrible.

Products like nufinish is why avg people don't wax their car. If it was the first wax I ever used I probably would never wax a car again. Why would you recommend to anyone?

Nice wax showdown. I await future results. Used DuraGloss 101 last year and happy with it. Easy to apply/remove.
In autumn got the DuraGloss PBA (polishing bonding agent) that you apply and before wiping apply the 101 on top then wipe both. It claims it adds durablity up to 6 months.
Bought some DG 105 that I will use in spring.

Well, the beauty of having an 18 year old with his own car...

He came home last night with a 1 foot tall, 6 foot long scratch/scuff down the passenger side. Deep, but not through the clear coat. Spent 2 hours buffing both doors. Mostly out, but I can still notice it. I doubt anyone else will see it. Once done, I needed to polish. So, Duragloss on the rear door, Collinite 845 Insulator wax on the front door. Another sub comparison while at it. He has been pretty responsible since I bought this Toyota for him, but stray marks do seem to make their way and he never knows how. This time it was a shopping cart that blew across the parking lot and down his car. He owned right up to it.

This time I used my random orbit machine. It makes the Duragloss easier to apply and remove. Did the hood and roof with Duragloss just to see if hand application vs machine makes a difference. Easy on and off with a machine, less effort to remove then when applying by hand, so product application thickness is a definite factor for removal. Still not as easy as the Mothers or Griots, but not hard at all.

Stay tuned for updates.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I have recommended Nufinish and I'l explain why. When I detailed for a living I would always personally inspect the potential customers vehicle and speak with the owner for some time before giving an estimate. On a few occasions the owners were under the incorrect impression that they could get a new looking car inside and out for $45 or so. When it was realized that there is no way we could come to terms I would tell them about the Nufinsh liquid. It was their speed, budget, and skill level so it worked fine for them. Two of them sent me paying customers who could afford my services because I was honest with them and tried to help.

Yes there are better products available but Nufinsh sure beats neglect and leaving the paint to oxidize/fade.

You know - I like your post. You hit the spot and if you can atleast make a persons car look good within their budget and have to use Nufinish and are honest about the expectations - good for you. You're an honest business person.

Update
One month into the comparison. We have had ice storms, plenty of rain, snow, salted roads, and the Corolla sat outside and was used in all of it.
I washed the car this weekend. The water beading and shedding looked equal across all three products. After drying, I used a microfiber towel to feel and listen for slickness. All three were still very slick. Not just waxed feeling, but very slick. If there was any difference, I might give the nod to the Mothers Synwax, but it was so close I do not think my non scientific method could really discern a difference. All held up very well for the first month.
Stay tuned, more in a month.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
Update
One month into the comparison. We have had ice storms, plenty of rain, snow, salted roads, and the Corolla sat outside and was used in all of it.
I washed the car this weekend. The water beading and shedding looked equal across all three products. After drying, I used a microfiber towel to feel and listen for slickness. All three were still very slick. Not just waxed feeling, but very slick. If there was any difference, I might give the nod to the Mothers Synwax, but it was so close I do not think my non scientific method could really discern a difference. All held up very well for the first month.

Although we all have our favorites, your post shows that if you stick to good quality brand name products you really can't go wrong, it ends up being a personal choice.

Thanks for the update. Initially most if not all sealants look the same since 95% of a car's shine is the prep work (claying, compounding, polishing, etc). The true test will be the durability and not all sealants are created equally when it comes to longevity. Please keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: paulswagelock
Update

Month two completed. More snow, ice, salt, rain, sun, and remained parked outside for all of it. Washed it Wednesday. The water still beaded nicely on all three zones on the trunk lid. No discernible difference in beading or water shedding. All three zones felt slick, but again not just waxed slick. They felt the same across all three zones to the touch, and listening for the microfiber dragging sounds.

So after month two, I would still call it an even match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back