MOST concentrated dosage ever used in FI cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the MOST concentrated dosage you've ever used with a Fuel System Cleaner, of any brand?

E.g., Techron Concentrate for treating 15 gallons; 2 bottles in 5 gallons....

E.g., Regane Complete 2x for treating 21 gallons; 3 bottles in 15 gallons....

I follow the directions to prevent damage to fuel system components...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
does a gallon of Xylene with 2 gallons or so of 91 octane in the tank count?

Well, not exactly. But, you've peaked my interest. How much octant rating does that give you, and what was your application?

I would stick to the recommendation, which is hard to say how much. Regane says "up to 21 gallons" and I believe SI-1 just says pour in tank and fill. I've used both in my girlfriends Corolla as well as her moms Corolla, they have 13.2 gallon tanks. I shoot for the same in other vehicles w/ larger tanks, between 12-14 gallons. In my brother's F150(30 gallon), I told them to use one bottle of Regane and put 13 gallons in.

A little OT, but then maybe not, at least I didn't think it would be worth starting a new thread.

How many back to back tanks of gas have you run FI cleaner in? One tank, two tanks, etc, if trying to resolve a problem such as an injector issue? Do you wait until before an oil change?

Somebody just wrote about 3 back to back Techron treatments and it fixed his problems.

I think it is always good idea to get all your fuel cleaners in and done with before replacing the oil.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: jsap

Well, not exactly. But, you've peaked my interest. How much octant rating does that give you, and what was your application?

not sure on the exact octane rating, i think its around 118 by itself. It was on my Volvo and it did feel to make more power at WOT.

Originally Posted By: jsap

not sure on the exact octane rating, i think its around 118 by itself. It was on my Volvo and it did feel to make more power at WOT.

I think that's [(118 * 1) + (91 * 2)]/3 = 100 octane rating. Maybe at high speed, the lack of any chance of knock allowed the ignition timing to fully advance. Do you do this on a regular basis for maintenance?

I think a running survey of everyone's max overdose is a good resource. After all, those additives have very vague dosing labels. For instance, the new 12 oz Techron bottle says "treats up to 15 gals," but it doesn't say what is the MINIMUM gallons it will treat (like a warning that says "DO NOT USE ALL OF THE CONTENTS IN THIS BOTTLE IN LESS THAN 5 GALLONS").

I hope everyone will continue to post their max dosages over the weeks and months.

I've done 12 oz Techron (for 12 gallons) in 5 gallons. Cured valve ticking (but the cure could just have been from the WOT that accompanied it).

Next, I'll do a bottle of 2x Regane Complete in 2.5 gallons (1/8 tank). Then, I'll try a qt of ATF and a qt of MMO in 10 gallons (1/2 tank). And finish off with a bottle of 2x Regane High Mileage in 5 gallons (1/4 tank). Please stop me now if I'm crazy!

I have put crazy dosage like 1 oz of cleaner to 8 oz of gas in the lawnmower without any noticeable after effects. I am reluctant to go crazy in my car though.

Toyota cleaner which comes in a tiny metal can has a warning on it saying that you better use the tank up by driving i.e. don't leave the cleaner in your fuel tank too long. I have purchased it but not used it yet. I am saving it for "special occasion" :)

Any cleaner which comes in a plastic bottle by definition can not be strong enough to melt your fuel system. Now if it comes in a metal can, you have to wonder if it will eat the internals if you go full strength in your tank.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Years back I worked in a shop where "Fuel injector cleaning" was two bottles of Techron concentrate in the tank after the low fuel light comes on (about 3 gallons) and let it idle until it runs better.

More recently I've used 2 bottles of Red Line SL-1 when my low fuel light comes on and drive it about 30 miles. It WORKS!

I read at one time BMW recommended using SL-1 in every tank of gas, so while I was driving my Camry on a sales route I used a "Maintenance dose" of Red Line SL-1 in almost every tank. The bottle has 10 gallon graduations on the side so you can apply it with some idea of what you are doing. I tested it by not using it for two tanks of gas in a row and the fuel economy dropped a bit.

I have also put a gallon of Naptha in about 3 gallons of gas and that seemed to clean the injectors OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back