Mossberg 590A1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: I love shotguns.

I have an itch to buy another 12 gauge. I currently own a Remington 870 Tactical but who buys just one gun? I've been looking/drooling over the Mossberg 590A1. I have heard good things about this Mossberg. I have read the reviews and watched videos and am pretty familiar with the differences, pros/cons for each, etc.

My particular question is not which one is better but rather does anyone own both and recommend owning both of these shotguns or should I put my money to a nice shiny rifle?

Also has anyone bought used? Is it risky buying a used shotgun? I mean how do you know parts haven't been swapped out, etc?

Thanks.

If I already owned a shotgun, I would branch out into a different genre before adding another 12 gauge...love scatter guns too... But there are lots of worthy rifles and pistols out there...

For example, at the CMP, where you get used but checked out and certain to go up in value...

Last edited:
The Mossberg looks like it's almost the same thing as your Remington. Don't you want some variety? If you're really set on that Mossberg, sell your Remington.

I don't see any reason to avoid a used one. Dry fire it, and inspect it carefully. Even if it does need a little bit of work, you'll have saved enough over a new one to more than cover it.

Biggest advantage of a Mossy over Remington is the ambidextrous safety switch which is mounted on top of receiver vs. behind the trigger on Remington. IMO it allows faster access for either left/right handers.

590A1 is identical to standard 590 except the trigger guard, safety switch itself is metal vs. plastic, otherwise they're identical in every way. A1 were originally build for Military use.

I had over two dozens of 870's in my life time, in just about every configurations made, but now I shoot 590A1's & Benellis.

Go for it, if you don't like it you can always sell it. Guns don't lose value like cars so I'd stick with a brand new one over a "pre-owned". Besides, 590A1 are harder to come by in the civilian market than 590 so chances of finding a clean A1 is slimmer.

Last edited:
I have the nearly identical Mossberg 500. Mine came with the optional pistol grip and it's a real riot to shoot that thing from the palm of your hand. I usually have the full stock on it, though. The slide feels loose in the hand on these (I assume a 590 will feel the same), but it's dead reliable, and pretty easy to field clean as well. I highly recommend it.

Don't forget that the 590a1 comes with a heavy barrel that helps add some extra heft of a battlegun. I have owned mine for 3 years (20inch barrel, ghost right sights) and have added a hogue stock, limbasver,flashlight and such. I was just shooting it today as it has been a while (i leave her loaded as my HD gun)and man i forgot how much I love the thing. I was shooting 2inch groups with slugs at 20yrds (I need a bigger range)and had a huge smile the whole time.

I own both and love them both! The 590 comes with more military features like the metal trigger guard, heavy duty barrel and bayonet lug but the remington is a little nicer IMO. The remington has a smoother bolt, better trigger pull and a smoother finish. The biggest advantage the Mossberg has over the remington is the fact that there is no shell elevator in the way of the loading port. This makes loading faster and easier, with no pinched fingers. Quality control for Remington and Mossberg has been pretty poor lately so I wouldn't say one is really made better than the other. Take your pick of which one is better but if you really love shotguns, get them both!

As far as new or used, I dont think you will save enough money buying used to justify the potential risk of buying used.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
I was shooting 2inch groups with slugs at 20yrds (I need a bigger range)and had a huge smile the whole time.
where in MI are you?

I just got a 2nd 500 last night from a guy for $100!!! He stripped the receiver's finish and stuck it in his safe for years. It's a gamester model 12ga with upgraded walnut wood. I am polishing the receiver to a mirror finish and giving it a thorough cleaning. What a deal.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

Also has anyone bought used? Is it risky buying a used shotgun? I mean how do you know parts haven't been swapped out, etc?

Thanks.

How much are you saving by buying used? Most guns never get much use. Mechanically in like new condition or even better you let someone else use their ammo to smooth everything up. You should be able to spot a worn or abused gun. Go through it good and if anything looks or feels weird I'd pass. I have no problem buying used guns. Most likely they are better than the ones coming out of the factory.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I have no problem buying used guns. Most likely they are better than the ones coming out of the factory.
+1

I was issued a Remington 870 straight out of the police academy. Was trained on it, qualified with it yearly, and shot it every couple of months. Have completely torn them apart down to the last spring and rebuilt them. Great weapon.

I acquired a 590A1 to compare to the 870. I liked the 590A1 and found it to be reliable. The safety and action bar release are different though and requires training to be proficient with it. Since I was already trained and proficient with the 870, I decided to get rid of the 590A1. I still have two 870's. One sits next to my bed currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back