MOS2 on the first oil change?

Some OEMs (Honda comes to mind) explicitly state to not use additives.
Your self reported measurement and analysis technique is the ol' butt dyno.
So no controls and no measurement in your experiment.
Unfortunately, nothing substantial or conclusive can come of this.
Do what you will.
Good luck!!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't put that product or any other solids anywhere near an engine today never mind a brand new one.
With the hydraulically actuated valves and components found in modern engines solids can cause them to stick, that can cause a lot of issues and noise ( complaints have been posted about lifter/lash adjuster noise using this). I cant see any benefit whatsoever, you can damage it with kindness,
Since when are LM products demonized on BITOG? I know they are commonly used in BMWs such as mine. I've used Mos2 (taken an oil pan off, no sediment) and Ceratec with only positive results. I've not had or heard or them do harm to an engine. I can understand avoiding it in a newer car for warranty purposes but I don't understand y'all flipping out like OP is attempting to put Lucas in a brand new engine. :rolleyes:

Since when are LM products demonized on BITOG? I know they are commonly used in BMWs such as mine. I've used Mos2 (taken an oil pan off, no sediment) and Ceratec with only positive results. I've not had or heard or them do harm to an engine. I can understand avoiding it in a newer car for warranty purposes but I don't understand y'all flipping out like OP is attempting to put Lucas in a brand new engine. :rolleyes:
Because all aftermarket additives, by definition, are made of stardust and fantastical dreams.

No established need, no industry standards, no performance criteria, no double blind testing. Lots and lots of marketing though.

The can was $6 so it's just a fun experiment. I don't see how warranty is relevant. There's no way a dealer could identify that an oil additive was used.
I'm not so sure...

Show me any publication by BMW that recommends this crap. You wont find one, just because some scatter brain uses it in his BMW doesn't mean a thing.
LM does not even use these products in their own engine oils except for one 10w40 old school, why not?

Just spend $10 more and get yourself 5qts of the most intelligent British molecules in a stylish green bottle

I have a number of vehicles with many hundreds of thousands of miles on them; including 7.3 powerstrokes. I've had enough oil analysis done on my cars and trucks to find that mos2 does seem to reduce iron wear on the same vehicles vs. not being treated. Seems to be more pronounced in the winter months looking at uoas. Also suspect an effect on injector oil poppet valve life specifically on 7.3 diesels; small sample but trucks that were dosed have significantly better injector life with regards to that particular failure point.

In a situation where maximum life from an engine is reqired, the engine will actually have a chance to achieve very high milage / hours and someone doesn't mind the added expense of mos2 at every oil change, mos2 may squeeze a little more life out of some engines and engine components. I started using it in some engines a number of years ago 20+ ? and run it in all of them now.

If I were contemplating using the additive, I wouldn't waste the money or effort if I wasn't planning to keep the car for more than 250k anyway.

I also don't see any value to adding the product if you are looking for "smoothness" or something intangible like that. I think really it has one purpose to extend engine life in circumstances where someone's actually going to see 250 three four 500,000 miles+ and any reduction in Iron wear or engine wear is worth the small expense of the additive.

I have a number of vehicles with many hundreds of thousands of miles on them; including 7.3 powerstrokes. I've had enough oil analysis done on my cars and trucks to find that mos2 does seem to reduce iron wear on the same vehicles vs. not being treated. Seems to be more pronounced in the winter months looking at uoas. Also suspect an effect on injector oil poppet valve life specifically on 7.3 diesels; small sample but trucks that were dosed have significantly better injector life with regards to that particular failure point.

In a situation where maximum life from an engine is reqired, the engine will actually have a chance to achieve very high milage / hours and someone doesn't mind the added expense of mos2 at every oil change, mos2 may squeeze a little more life out of some engines and engine components. I started using it in some engines a number of years ago 20+ ? and run it in all of them now.

If I were contemplating using the additive, I wouldn't waste the money or effort if I wasn't planning to keep the car for more than 250k anyway.

I also don't see any value to adding the product if you are looking for "smoothness" or something intangible like that. I think really it has one purpose to extend engine life in circumstances where someone's actually going to see 250 three four 500,000 miles+ and any reduction in Iron wear or engine wear is worth the small expense of the additive.
I'm with you, the smoothness comments are always funny. It's a friction reducer and *should* reduce wear over the long haul but whether that's worth $6 an oil change is up to the end user. On my W8 I'm concerned about the timing chains and will be using it after this change out that has Ceratec in it.

Show me any publication by BMW that recommends this crap. You wont find one, just because some scatter brain uses it in his BMW doesn't mean a thing.
LM does not even use these products in their own engine oils except for one 10w40 old school, why not?
Show me an article where a manufacturer recommends anything but products they have a paid partnership with.

I read that Ceratec reduces noise the engine, tappets etc.
I would like to know how the product stands the test of time, does it eventually degrade and gunk up?

Show me an article where a manufacturer recommends anything but products they have a paid partnership with.
Show me this additive has a demonstrated and statistically valid benefit proven through a standardized test.

Stuff like this shouldn’t exist in a vacuum, it’s not necessary.

I read that Ceratec reduces noise the engine, tappets etc.
I would like to know how the product stands the test of time, does it eventually degrade and gunk up?
There are folks here that had it do just that but for all the folks that use this stuff, only here have I ever heard of this. LM of course says any settling of the solids will re-suspend once you drive it...that's where I am with it. You are only supposed to use it once every 30K miles and in a normally driven vehicle (driven around regularly) I just don't see how the sump suction wouldn't take care of this if it happened in the first place. I've also seen pictures somewhere (?) of oil pans dropped (maybe it was jsut commentary?) and there was no build up. Who knows. I'm not too worried about it. I have it in 3 of my VWs right now.

Last edited:
Back