MOS2 on the first oil change?

I just picked up a new car and I'm doing BITOG proud thinking about my first oil change. I like early oil changes, beneficial or not. So I plan on changing around 1200 miles. I'll be using Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 and an AcDelco filter.

I have half a can of MOS2 leftover from the last oil change on my Mitsubishi Mirage (small oil capacity meant half a can was a good dilution). Any reason not to add this at the first change and wait till maybe the second or third? Any potential effect on break in? Maybe it's a silly thought since some oils used Molybdenum as an additive already so they would be under this same umbrella.

What are trying to accomplish with MOS2? Is there a problem with your engine? I wouldn't use it in a vehicle still under warranty. In fact i don't see the point of using it at all.

I just picked up a new car and I'm doing BITOG proud thinking about my first oil change. I like early oil changes, beneficial or not. So I plan on changing around 1200 miles. I'll be using Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 and an AcDelco filter.

I have half a can of MOS2 leftover from the last oil change on my Mitsubishi Mirage (small oil capacity meant half a can was a good dilution). Any reason not to add this at the first change and wait till maybe the second or third? Any potential effect on break in? Maybe it's a silly thought since some oils used Molybdenum as an additive already so they would be under this same umbrella.
If you are going to use it I would wait until after at least 5000 miles or so

What are trying to accomplish with MOS2? Is there a problem with your engine? I wouldn't use it in a vehicle still under warranty. In fact i don't see the point of using it at all.
The can was $6 so it's just a fun experiment. I don't see how warranty is relevant. There's no way a dealer could identify that an oil additive was used.

How do you determine the success or failure of your experiment?
I'll attempt to discern any change in "smoothness" in different conditions. If I feel something placebo or not then great. If not it's $6 so who cares?

Is everything in your life driven by numbers or do you do things just because sometimes? I'm not a robot so I like a little of both in my life.

I'll attempt to discern any change in "smoothness" in different conditions. If I feel something placebo or not then great. If not it's $6 so who cares?

Is everything in your life driven by numbers or do you do things just because sometimes? I'm not a robot so I like a little of both in my life.
If your perception of "smoothness" is your criteria then go for it.

An early oil and filter change is beneficial but the Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 already has the proper TYPE and dosage of a MoDTC.

I don't see any advantage to adding extra moly of a questionable type and dosage.

Last edited:
LM recommends to use Ceratec and follow up with MOS2
Third party additive companies will recommend any of their products to make a buck on their additives; additives which have questionable efficacies and little or no test data to support their claims.

I'm not committed to using the MOS2 at all really. I could also pour it into my wife's car or even my moms. Or just chuck it. I bought it wanting to at least have tried it as it seemed like one of the more "legit" additives out there. Then I can at least have the experience of trying it and whatever comes with that.

I ran it in my Mirage for about 1k miles and I'm not sure I really noticed anything. But I will say the fact that it turns the oil slightly darker and kind of gives it a shimmer is a turn off right away.

I wouldn't put that product or any other solids anywhere near an engine today never mind a brand new one.
With the hydraulically actuated valves and components found in modern engines solids can cause them to stick, that can cause a lot of issues and noise ( complaints have been posted about lifter/lash adjuster noise using this). I cant see any benefit whatsoever, you can damage it with kindness,

Last edited:
LM recommends to use Ceratec and follow up with MOS2
And what does the manufacturer of the engine recommend? They are ones after all the person using this crap is going to try and hook up for the warranty repair/replace when the thing goes oil pan up under the hood.

I like the early oil changes, I wonder what the moly does . I tried it about 15 years ago and wasn't $6.00 impressed though.

Back