More Syntec 0-30 ?'s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Syntec 0-30 meets ACEA A3 and 229.1/3...and knowing that the Syntec 5-50 is also ACEA A3 rated, is it safe to say that it too would automatically qualify as 221/3/5 as the bottle states "meets oil requirements for BMW, Porshce and M-B"???? Or are these different set of tests/requirements?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
If the Syntec 0-30 meets ACEA A3 and 229.1/3...and knowing that the Syntec 5-50 is also ACEA A3 rated, is it safe to say that it too would automatically qualify as 221/3/5 as the bottle states "meets oil requirements for BMW, Porshce and M-B"???? Or are these different set of tests/requirements?

No. MB, BMW, and Porsche are pretty strict when it comes to their specs. Only an oil that actually meets 229.3, BMW LL01, or Porsche approval can have it stated as such on the bottle.

To say that an oil meets "Company X's oil requirements" is essentially meaningless, since it doesn't say WHICH requirements of "Company X."

Has anyone talked to Castrol USA about the German 0w-30? A person on the phone at Castrol was trying to convince me that the oils were the same except the color, and that Autozone may have been directly importing the German brand????

Anyone find it out west? TIA

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
Has anyone talked to Castrol USA about the German 0w-30? A person on the phone at Castrol was trying to convince me that the oils were the same except the color, and that Autozone may have been directly importing the German brand????

Well, I guess Mobil is not the only oil company with morons staffing their tech support line.

Someone has posted an e-mail they got from Castrol NA that says that the new 0w30 Syntec is imported from Germany.

If anyone actually imported the German 0w30 as it's sold in Europe, it wouldn't be in a black bottle and labled "Syntec." It would be in a silver bottle and labeled "Formula SLX."

I have...on Monday. Was told that "we don't have specs for oils made outside the U.S.". When I kept on repeatedly saying "no this is Syntec at Autozone, but it says made in Germany on the bottle" the person was still confused. Told me the only specs she had said the oil was ACEA A1. Curiously enough, it seems like the website has been slightly revised to say A3...but no further mention on BMW, VW or M-B specifics other than the same ones for ALL the other grades.

wow, looks like the german 0w-30 is here to stay... They made a change to the website, so it might just be a promising sign...

JMH

Thank you for contacting Castrol

Our 0W-30 product like all others are constantly under review for performance and applicability to vehicles in the field. I suspect if you had the date codes of the bottles he refers to you'd see there was probably some time between the production of each.

We produce and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and component sourcing.

Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met whether API or
ACEA, is still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back