Mopar, WIX, Quaker State cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is likely my one and only time I will cut filters open with a hacksaw, it sucked :)
First up is a Mopar, which I think is a rebadged Pure One...maybe someone can confirm? 6000kms on 5w20 Shell Syn, 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L 5 speed.
One thing different about this filter compared to the other 2, is it was full of oil when I cut it open, made a HUGE mess I was not prepared for :) I guess the anti drainback valve actually works in this one. The other 2 had very little oil in them.

This is a discontinued made in Mexico WIX 57073, pleats look terrible, not much media compared to the mopar, shorter but slightly fatter, the orange gasket is as thin as paper. Off a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2.4L CVT, 5w20 dino, 6000kms.
This is the good side

This is where the pleats are flattened right out

Last up is a QS2 off my moms 2001 Escape. It was on for 8 months but less then 3000kms, 5w30 syn. The can was pretty thin compared to the Mopar and WIX.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy

First up is a Mopar, which I think is a rebadged Pure One...maybe someone can confirm?

Probably more like a re-badged Purolator Classic.

The thin QS can is part of the low price. No problem if it is up out of the way of road debris. Many miles on inexpensive filters and I never had a can punctured.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
I cannot believe how thin the ADBV looks on the Wix. That's ridiculous.

That could be a Chinese WIX. They make air filters all over the planet, and I'm sure them have a few oil filters that are not USA made. I know for a fact that the WIX motorcycle filters are not made in the USA, but China.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

That could be a Chinese WIX. They make air filters all over the planet, and I'm sure them have a few oil filters that are not USA made. I know for a fact that the WIX motorcycle filters are not made in the USA, but China.

He said it was made in Mexico
grin2.gif

And yes, that filter looks like junk.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

grin2.gif

lol.gif
... missed that. Yeah, I've come to find that WIX has plants in about 4 different countries for their air filters, so I'd think they could also be making some oil & fuel filters there too.

Originally Posted By: HeHarHeWeh
The Qs is a rebadged purolator too. The ones i have cut don't seem to have a thin can.

These are the first (and LAST) filters I cut open, it only seemed thin compared to the Mopar and WIX in the pics, I'm sure it's fine, I have been using them for years on my moms Escape.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy

First up is a Mopar, which I think is a rebadged Pure One...maybe someone can confirm?

Probably more like a re-badged Purolator Classic.

Does the media help determine what it is? The pleats were tight and very even compared to the QS2 cut open. I guess it could be Classic media in it, but I'd really like to find ot for sure.
Like I posted in another thread, the Pure Classic for this application is a Champ PH48, I guess they could design an entirely new filter for Mopar, but rebadging a Pure One seems to be the cheapest and easiest way.
L12222.jpg

PL12222.jpg

Mopar3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd guess it was a PureOne, but it doesn't seem to have the silicone ADBV that PureOnes have. But it's definitely a Purolator, with the thread size stamped in the base plate like that.

grin2.gif

Junk ?

It has a thin ADBV - I see nothing to indicate it did not work ?

The Mopar looks well made. Similar to the Motorcraft made by Purolator, the Mopar is made to Mopar specs. Looks like dome end bypass, the ones I've looked at in Wally are threa end. Hard to say if the efficiency is closer to P1 or Classic, my guess would be Classic. Only Mopar or maybe Puro would know, sometimes hard to get info on OEM filters. But, 97.5% or 99.9% @20mu, either is good. That said, if it is dome end, unless the Mopar is less expensive, doubt it, I'd just go with a Classic or P1.

FWIW, the bottom pic down the centertube looks very much like the L14459 Classics (would look the same as the P1) I have with the push button bypass different than the flat 45rpm disk like the PL/L14610. I'm assuming the centertube veiw is pic of the Mopar? Can't say I've seen any white Prem. Plus with a base plate like that recently.

The QS is also Purolator made, but to lesser QS vendor standards.

Best to ignore the Kumho tire buyer inane off topic agenda note.

I don't think that is entirely correct, the filter for my 2004 Kodiak has "made in the USA" stamped on it, and has several motorcycle applications as well.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51358

Originally Posted By: badnews

grin2.gif

Junk ?

It has a thin ADBV - I see nothing to indicate it did not work ?

The big flat spots in the pleats just doesn't scream "quality" compared to the construction of the other two.

The ADBV is definitely unique.

Where is your proof the motorcycle filters are made in china? Since you know for a fact they are.

I put that same WIX filter on a friends car and it says Made in the USA on the can.

The ADBV is definitely unique.

I thought the same thing about the ADBV when I cut one of these open.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Where is your proof the motorcycle filters are made in china? Since you know for a fact they are.

My mistake ... it is actually the Purolator cycle filters that are (or were) made in China, not WIX. Got them mixed up. In my research, I saw a photo of one someplace that said "Made in China" on it, and had made note of it in my filter application notes for my vehicles.

Also, here's a thread on a bike board also referring to the Purolator oil filters for cycles being made in China (in first post).

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=96653

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back