Mopar to replace the current v-8 with a inline 6 twin turbo? say it aint so...

Not a huge V8 fan. My 1st legal ride was 53 IH 3/4 ton bread truck. This was followed by a few GMC and Chev PUs and 2 Fords with the Mainline 6.
Chevvy built some great OHV I 6s. Had a Dart and a Valiant. One of the things I loved about the'88 528e was its 2.7 M20 engine. Follow the recommended interval for the timing belt and just pile on the miles. As for the M30 big 6 I knew I guy who commuted 120 mi round trip on the LI Exway ran the car to 450 Kmiles before he gave it a valve job and ran it to 560K.

The engine is too complicated, the reliability will not be like the 300i6 or the slant six rather be like BMW twin turbo I6 or worse. It took several years for Chrysler to get pentastar to be a decent engine.

Reactions: hrv
The engine is too complicated, the reliability will not be like the 300i6 or the slant six rather be like BMW twin turbo I6 or worse. It took several years for Chrysler to get pentastar to be a decent engine.

FYI-They said the same thing about the Ford Eco-Boost.
Yea-there have been a few issues-but there is literally millions (if not billions) of miles on those motors now-the vast majority of owners are extremely happy.

Impressive numbers but glad I got my Hemi when I did. Now to make it last.

Anecdotal experience but I haven’t been impressed with the reliability of turbo charged gassers. Two ford patrol cars and I’ve blown turbos on both of them within 75k miles. Had two gutless impalas before that and despite being gutless, I couldn’t break them.

An I-6 engine is structurally better. There is one crank journal per piston; with a V config there are 2 pistons per journal. Kinematically, the I-6 is the only configuration that is naturally in dynamic balance. Ever wonder why most Diesels are I-6; many BMW's are I-6's. The I-6 235 c.i.-292 c.i. was the standard GM truck engine for something like 50 years. There's a reason for that. Fewer cylinders than an 8 cylinder means less internal friction. Turbos are fine if you know how to drive them. When you come off the expressway doing 75mph in 95deg summer weather, then shut off the engine without idling 2-3 mins to cool the turbo journal bearing cooks both your oil and the bearing.

An I-6 engine is structurally better. There is one crank journal per piston; with a V config there are 2 pistons per journal. Kinematically, the I-6 is the only configuration that is naturally in dynamic balance. Ever wonder why most Diesels are I-6; many BMW's are I-6's. The I-6 235 c.i.-292 c.i. was the standard GM truck engine for something like 50 years. There's a reason for that. Fewer cylinders than an 8 cylinder means less internal friction. Turbos are fine if you know how to drive them. When you come off the expressway doing 75mph in 95deg summer weather, then shut off the engine without idling 2-3 mins to cool the turbo journal bearing cooks both your oil and the bearing.
In 1985 maybe. Most modern turbos are liquid cooled and have no need for that shutdown regimen. Never heard of an F150 with a "coked" turbo.

I wonder if the inline 6 thing is more for packaging / unitizing than anything.

With fleet average fuel economy potentially going to ~40mpg in the not so distant future, small displacement turbo DI is probably going to be the only gasoline engines available at some point. It's going to save us money and save the planet you know. :unsure:

It won't matter what engine they come up with or use. Most everything built now is crap. Just remember this post a few years from now when the newest and greatest turns to garbage. Just too many corners cut in the automotive manufacturing world nowadays. Everything is cut to the bone except the end users price they have to pay for said junk.

You did get to hear that Duratec V6 and it had a sweet sound. It is hard for a 4 pot to match the sounds of 6 and 8 cylinders. It can happen, but is pretty rare.

Turbos tend to muffle the sound, but improve the performance.

I think I'd rather be fast than merely sound fast.
In Europe i4 being "premium", and being replaced by i3 . Gpf is muffling even more. The biggest fear of sports cars.
Some sports cars sound unnatural, I guess because exhaust speakers! Latest hit (not only) from BMW.

Last edited:
It won't matter what engine they come up with or use. Most everything built now is crap. Just remember this post a few years from now when the newest and greatest turns to garbage. Just too many corners cut in the automotive manufacturing world nowadays. Everything is cut to the bone except the end users price they have to pay for said junk.
Your post is high in emotions and low with lacking facts. Small displacement motors putting out big numbers with turbos is now the world we live in. The issue is that these motors have been around a very long time in Europe and now with the Eco-Boost in the U.S. as well. To take this further-I fully expect ICE vehicles to be taxed off the road in the next 20 years or so.

Enjoy whatever big block you have-it's quickly becoming a dinosaur.

And there are plenty of problems with all of them. Small CID is just fine for granny grocery getters, not heavy trailer pullers. And most all of these new small engines are ill designed for strength and durability. They are designed for ease of manufacture and lowering the costs of required materials.
In the end the end user is stuck with all the problems. There are plenty of facts by reputable dealer technicians that post their not so fun lives fixing the stuff on the good ole inter web. Taxed off the road?, the new up comings don't even want private auto owners on roads.

Inline 6 is the only engine that is naturally kinematically balanced. Each cylinder has its own main bearing journal. From about 1938 until the mid '70's, the Chevrolet I-6 was the standard engine in their light and medium duty trucks. My 292 could be used to pull stumps. Very long con rod gives it monster torque. On level pavement, I can literally start from a stoplight in 4th gear. She moans, but keeps on pullin'. I checked the casting number on the block, and it was cast when I was in the 6th grade (I'm 66 now). She's still going. And so am I :)

inline-6-cylinder-with-firing-order-1-5-3-6-2-4-1534797807.gif

i have only 1/2 of that :LOL: but i like it more than my old i4

Surpsingly, so do I!

I somewhat agree with you.

My daily driver is a 3 pot diesel that is literally a Duramax 3.0 cut in half. It's a bit rattly at idle, and sometimes a bit coarse pulling off (it's a manual) but above 2000rpm or so makes quite a pleasant noise and it is rather smooth.

Pulling up some of the gradients on the motorways by us at 58mph, in 5th gear doing ~2500rpm with our 3000lb caravan on the back and you'd swear it's a big 6 cylinder hauling at half the RPM's with the noise under the bonnet.

Back