Molytex EP 2 grease - source or alternatives

Having a difficult time locating single cartridges of Molytex EP 2.
24 packs are available but too much.

Where can I buy it?

If not, can you suggest alternatives?
Molybdenum disulphide 3%
ZDDP 1.5%
Kinematic viscosity at 40°c is 200
Lithium soap base

https://www.texacolubricants.com/en_uk/home/products/molytex-ep-2.html

Ideal would be a source for single cartridges of Molytex EP 2.

If you are going to recommend alternatives, please suggest NLGI 2 and either NLGI 0/00, from the same family matching below parameters. You can improve upon EP and AW additives.
Moly can be organic too. 3%. Viscosity can be upto 320.

Must be available in packs around 1 lb.

Thank you so much.

PDS and MDS are available at
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=320847&docFormat=PDF
https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/SDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=446762&docFormat=PDF

Last edited by a moderator:
Mystik JT6 High temp 3% moly is going to be your easiest to source replacement. Some auto parts stores have it, I believe Deere dealerships will be carrying it soon, you can order it on Amazon and from Walmart.

It will also be a better grease over all.

600cst base oil primarily.
Too viscous. Needs to be around 200 (200 to 300).
Better AW and EP additives are welcome.
Can be molybdenum disulphide or other types of moly.

Last edited:
Don't want to get into a discussion of reasons and applications. Will kill the thread. Hope you understand.

Don't want to get into a discussion of reasons and applications. Will kill the thread. Hope you understand.

Sure. DM me if you want.

P66 XD3 is 450 cst. It’s a bit unusual to find a 3% moly with such a low viscosity unless you’re looking at something cheaper. As base oil viscosity is the first thing to go down to decrease price.

The Valvoline 3% moly grease is 150cst. So that’s closer.

Delo ESI 3% is 320 cst.

But without the exact application, I can’t determine is 600 is too high or not. But there’s some options.

Mystik JT6 High temp 3% moly is going to be your easiest to source replacement. Some auto parts stores have it, I believe Deere dealerships will be carrying it soon, you can order it on Amazon and from Walmart.

It will also be a better grease over all.
Deere dealerships are going to carry Mystik grease?

Deere dealerships are going to carry Mystik grease?

Yes. That was announced at the Citgo meeting I attended in July. Mystik will be on the shelf at every Deere dealership. As Deere’s flagship polyurea grease is no longer manufactured due to Chemtool burning down. (Along with the majority of polyurea production.)

I wish. It will just derail the thread.
Can you go into speed and load?

High speed and moly typically doesn’t go together. Thus my recommendation.

If you’re speed factor is under 200,000 then you have options. If it’s over 200,000 then you’re fairly limited.

Guys,

First post has been extensively modified.
If you have responded earlier, please check again for additional relevant info.
Still learning and hence the multiple steps.

Thanks

Can you go into speed and load?

High speed and moly typically doesn’t go together. Thus my recommendation.

If you’re speed factor is under 200,000 then you have options. If it’s over 200,000 then you’re fairly limited.
Neither does high speed and a 630 KV40 base oil viscosity. If the grease is for chassis 630 cst is okay if the ambient temperature permits. For wheel bearings it is too high. Also, moly is not needed in a wheel bearing.

Neither does high speed and a 630 KV40 base oil viscosity. If the grease is for chassis 630 cst is okay if the ambient temperature permits. For wheel bearings it is too high. Also, moly is not needed in a wheel bearing.

I agree with the not needing moly.

As for wheel bearings, Mystik JT6 HT works fantastic in them. Assuming normal automotive, trailer, and heavy duty wheel bearings.

Needed? No. But the added viscosity, along with its formulation leads to less oil drop out. Which is the primary failure for greases. But this does not apply to OP’s situation at all.

Finally, found equivalent greases.
Moly grease EP 2 & Multifak Moly EP 2.
See attached screenshot.
Now to find single cans at reasonable prices.

Attachments

• Molytex.jpg
    Molytex.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 20
Back