Molykote Longterm 2 Plus EP Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I have to replace an ABS sensor on my BMW, and it is recommended to install new sensor with a thin coating of Molykote Longterm 2 or similar grease to ABS sensor and housing.

I can find the Molykote grease, and Im not opposed to buying it, but Im not sure if its anything special. What I can find about it shows:

Key Properties
NLGI Grade 2 - MO based grease with a base oil viscosity of 265 cSt at 40 C, lithium thickened, uses both molybdenum disulfide and graphite as solid lubricants.

Features & Benefits
High load-carrying capacity
Suitable for long-term lubrication
In mixed friction it provides wear protection due to solid lubricants and EP (extreme pressure) additives
Good adhesion strength
Good protection against corrosion

Product Details
Product Type: Grease
Chemistry: Mineral Oil
Base Oil Viscosity: 265 @ 40°C
NLGI Grade: 2
Thickener: Lithium
Solid Lubricant: MoS2, graphite
High Temp: 110°C
Low Temp: -25°C
Color: Black

Not a super high-temperature grease. I am curious if that characteristic is compromised in order to ensure longer life, more corrosion resistance, etc.

An ABS sensor isnt really a sliding, wearing part, so Im not entirely sure why any grease would be necessary, other than perhaps to assist assembly.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Meh...EP grease...
$13 a tube...

That's kind of what I was thinking. If that $$$.

I also have Schaefer 238 and 274 iirc. Maybe a few others (valvoline cerulean?).

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I'd go with the higher tack # 238.

Is your take on it that the "longterm" element has to do with tackiness and water resistance versus resistance to oxidation and degradation?

I did confirm that I have a tube of 238 in the garage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back