Modern vehicles that are both reliable and easy to work on

Dodge Caliber was easy to work on…. Though the only things I had start failing was the oxygen sensor at around 95,000 miles and at around 105,000 the crankshaft position sensor failed but that was relatively easy to do as well. A million miles of room behind the engine. Hardest thing was the excessive amount of screws holding the air filter lid on…. But hey the PCM is right there too!
F5E0CB28-CBF3-4D37-878F-E2F079DD1413.jpeg

Changing the engine oil and filter on my 2016 CR-V EX is super simple. Don't even need to raise the vehicle. And it does not have any aerodynamic plate covering up the filter and oil drain.

A drain and fill of the CVT and rear end is very easy to do. The only down side is you have to use Honda fluids, and new crush washers, and a torque wrench. But OEMPartSource.com sells original Honda ( and a few other brands ) parts and fluids at low prices. And if you bundle enough in one order the shipping cost still is low enough to still keep the total price well below dealer prices.

The family has a number of Kias, and they're all easy to work on.
  • Holes in the underbody shield for draining motor oil and replacing the oil filter—no need to drop the entire shield for that.
  • Brake hardware uses lockwashers, not torque-to-yield bolts that need replacing every time they're loosened.
  • Transmission fluid change only needs removing one underbody shield and the air inlet duct; jacking the car up is optional.
  • Air filter comes out easily: airbox cover doesn't require removing multiple screws, doesn't require disconnecting ducting, etc.
For the most part, every time I work on a Kia, I feel like someone actually thought about the mechanic that would need to work on it. Maybe sometimes they made a choice that means more work, but it seems like they at least paused a second to think about it.

They're also reliable.

The SO's Ford, on the other hand, was designed by engineers who hate mechanics with a passion. It's had way more recalls, and for more serious problems, than any of the Kias. And it's had more things break in less time.

I bought a 2nd Camry after having one for work, which led to buying one for my son, and now one that I drive personally. Easy to work on, and it's rare that you need to. Both the 2000 and the 2009 are equally easy to work on the 2000 my son drives having 160k miles on it, and my 09 having 228k miles on it.

I also second the Jeep mention. I'm doing a lower end rebuild on my YJ now, in frame, and it's a piece of cake. Laying on my back isn't fun, but the job is not at all difficult to do. Most other jobs have also been pretty easy on the Jeep.

I was a die hard domestic guy, but I have slowly become much more Japanese brand focused.

Older generation Altima's (we had a 98), and my daughter's Beetle are two cars that are TERRIBLE to work on.

I will say my 2.0 turbo Malibu is 6 years old now with 70,000 miles. Lots of room in the engine compartment. I have had no issues to speak of, never been back to the dealer. I have done oil changes, 1 transmission service that took about 10 minutes, and set of spark plugs that took maybe 15 minutes. Other than that is has been a good little car 259hp and 295ft/lbs of torque. It moves the Malibu pretty well. They use the 2.0 in just about everything. It has probably, aside from my LS powered trucks been the best car I have ever owned to include 2 Hondas and 1 Jetta TDI and that is saying something as the Trans Am and Caprice have been rock solid.

What's a "modern" car? Is something with electronic fuel injection and 40 years old fair game? In that case my '81 Rabbit is very simple to work on and to maintain.

Back