MoCA - Ethernet over Coax 2.5Gbps - Any Experience

Anyone have experience with Ethernet over Coax 2.5Gbps products?

As I mentioned in the WiFi Extender thread, I'm using a TP-Link Deco 6E Mesh system. One of my two nodes is using wireless backhaul.
Since I cut the cord, I have unused coax and wonder if this was a worthwhile technique to connect the node via the unused cable vs using the wireless backhaul.

So if anyone has any real experience with such products, please share that with me/us.
Thanks!

Yes, I have used Actiontec equipment. Not 2.5Gbps but years ago with 1Gbps. They worked well. Cabling infrastructure was quad-shielded RG6. Worked nicely when you don't want to have to re-run CAT6 or you just can't.

I almost was going to use a 2.5Gbps Moca to connect a 2nd Aruba Instant On AP in a 2nd floor of a family member's house. Never did cause the 1st floor AP ended up reaching alright. Always wanted to try it though.

Not to de-rail your thread (SORRY) but I like these kinda things. For the same family member, ran 2 LC to LC SMF armored strands 100ft in conduit to the garage from the house. SMF Transciever in an EdgeRouter-X and a Fiber Media converter in the garage to a PoE Injector and then another AP in garage ceiling. I love getting solutions like this to work.

Definitely worth the test. I'd take copper over wireless any day. But, with current latency and speeds, jut really don't notice the difference anymore.

The rating will be optimistic, regardless of what it is. I would not use it in combination with an existing coax service, if you do you might need filters on the line. If you just need it for one location/line, there was a cheap solution with a specific adapter for DIRECTV (think it was called DECA), but it would only provide 100mbps. The pair of adapters were dirt cheap on amazon because its a legacy solution. I used to use this to relocate an ATT microcell at my parents house.

I almost was going to use a 2.5Gbps Moca to connect a 2nd Aruba Instant On AP in a 2nd floor of a family member's house. Never did cause the 1st floor AP ended up reaching alright. Always wanted to try it though.

Not to de-rail your thread (SORRY) but I like these kinda things. For the same family member, ran 2 LC to LC SMF armored strands 100ft in conduit to the garage from the house. SMF Transciever in an EdgeRouter-X and a Fiber Media converter in the garage to a PoE Injector and then another AP in garage ceiling. I love getting solutions like this to work.
How do you like the Aruba Instant On? Currently have Eero but lacks refinement that would make it a try plug and play.

Aruba Instant On seems to be one of the better options in the space with possibilities to make it a real network through VLANs, managed switches etc.

@javacontour
ActionTec seems to be one of the go to for 2.5 GB moca. Here is a great resource for MOCA questions/deployments:

Should be good to go as long as you dont have cable equipment that would interfere with it.

Our TiVo minis are set up on a MoCa network, main TiVO is hard wired to the modem and the two minis get their streaming networks etc via the coax. I had some trouble setting it up when I still had the powered coax signal booster in the line, once I eliminated that it set up easy.

I tried that ethernet over electrical plug setup and it did not work well at all. Speeds were significantly cut down and connection reliability was poor. I had unused coax in my house and decided to give moca a try. It’s unbelievable how well it works. I get the exact proper speed i pay for anywhere in my house and the connection has never had a single issue. Its rock solid. Just make sure you get the proper splitter. I cant recommend moca enough.

The rating will be optimistic, regardless of what it is. I would not use it in combination with an existing coax service, if you do you might need filters on the line. If you just need it for one location/line, there was a cheap solution with a specific adapter for DIRECTV (think it was called DECA), but it would only provide 100mbps. The pair of adapters were dirt cheap on amazon because its a legacy solution. I used to use this to relocate an ATT microcell at my parents house.
Yeah, no coax in use now that uVerse has been packed up and shipped off. Seems most of the MoCA solutions offer 2.5gb/s. Not sure if that's in full duplex or 2.5gb/s each way. Since it's shared coax, I suspect it's "upto" 2.5gb/s in a single direction as we are back to the CSMA/CD like days where Ethernet was on a coax and you had real collisions on the coax.

Nope - I have 1gb fiber and getting the most of that speed upstairs is one of the goals.
I get 20-30% of the speed connected to the mesh device upstairs using wireless backhaul compared to the mesh device on Ethernet.
I get about 500mb both ways downstairs in the same room with the Deco and about 150/50mb connected to the upstairs node.
And yes, I did verify which node was proving my WiFi.

Last edited:
I always tell people to bite the bullet and run the cable, whatever it costs, but that's just me. Never tried the MOCA adapters, because I have ceiling mounted APs They don't work as well on the wall at calf level.

I always tell people to bite the bullet and run the cable, whatever it costs, but that's just me. Never tried the MOCA adapters, because I have ceiling mounted APs They don't work as well on the wall at calf level.
Calf level is simply the level the coax comes out of the wall. I can mount the AP higher as there is an Ethernet cable from the MoCA to the AP.

Yeah, no coax in use now that uVerse has been packed up and shipped off. Seems most of the MoCA solutions offer 2.5gb/s. Not sure if that's in full duplex or 2.5gb/s each way. Since it's shared coax, I suspect it's "upto" 2.5gb/s in a single direction as we are back to the CSMA/CD like days where Ethernet was on a coax and you had real collisions on the coax.

Theoretically you could get full duplex over coax with a product that used a different band for transmit than it does for receive, but such a product could only work back-to-back (you could not connect additional stations to the network). I am unaware of such a product being made, and it would likely be quite expensive if it were produced.

I suppose you might be able to use some sort of full-duplex wireless link and instead of connecting each end to an antenna, connect it to the coax. (Wi-fi over RG6 coax does work and there are adapters to connect common wi-fi antenna connectors to the F connectors used with RG6 coax)

MoCA is half duplex, packet switched. Data is transmitted on a frequency that is supposed to be dynamically chosen not to conflict with other cable or satellite signals that may be on the coax. Typically that is in the band 1.1 to 1.6 GHz. The modulation rate with 2.5 is apparently fast enough that 2.5 Gb usable throughput is achieved.

That will totally outperform 2.4 GHz wifi even with a perfect RF link over a cable.

Our home was built in 97 or 98. Coax and telephone line was run everywhere...including master bathroom. Ethernet nowhere.
Had to place the Comcast Xfinity gateway in a second floor bedroom. There are some caveats with mesh networks...one is that Comcast wireless cable boxes will only work with the Comcast mesh equipment which you must purchase from Comcast.
We had to use a wireless box in one room where they ran the coax to a far wall rendering it unusable for our need but the gateway was in that room so the wireless box works great.
I went with the MoCa solution to get solid streaming to a decent 75" TV I have set up in our basement with a decent home theater system. Uses one MoCa adapter at the TV itself and nothing out of the gateway. Works flawlessly. I've tried powerline adapters. They generally suck. MoCa works flawlessly and is extremely stable.

Yes, I use a MoCa connection between my main router and a mesh node. It works great with full speed to and from the mesh node. We have the 1/2 gig service from Fios and the only difference on speed tests is about a couple of milliseconds of latency. Normally is measured as 4 milliseconds at the router and is 7 milliseconds at the node due to the small amount of latency added by the MoCa connection. It’s been very reliable and runs on a coaxial cable that is not used for anything else (no TV signal). I use the goCoax 2.5 model sold on Amazon…

Back