Mobile 1 0W-40, 2,600 miles, 2008 Porsche Cayman S

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil has been in service for about 8 months. I did three or four autocrosses on this oil. There are about 14,600 miles on the engine, and about 2,600 miles on the oil.

Here are the comments by Blackstone. They say change the oil out to lower accumulations. Accumulations of what? The metals?

Quote:
Universal averages show typical wear for Porsche's 3.4L engine after about 4,400 miles on the oil. Your oil saw just 2,592 miles of use, and metals look fine for your low mileage Cayman. While metals were a bit higher than averages, some of the metal could still be residual from wear-in and these amounts are not problematic. Fuel dilution was right at the threshold of what we consider acceptable at 2.0%, and we'll watch it and wear to see what develops next time. The trace of insolubles isn't a concern. Suggest lowering accumulations by changing this oil out.

Code:

OIL M1 0W-40

MILES IN USE 2,600

MILES 14,600k

SAMPLE TAKEN 7/23/11

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 11

COPPER 15

LEAD 4

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 90

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 180

SILICON 6

SODIUM 17

CALCIUM 3010

MAGNESIUM 16

PHOSPHORUS 928

ZINC 1178

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES TR

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 335

SUS VIS 210ºF 71.4

cSt @ 212ºF 13.31

FUEL % 2.0

ANTIFREEZE % 0

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, that kinematic viscosity (cSt @ 100*C) looks WAY off the chart. Shouldn't it be in the 15-16 cSt range for a 40wt oil? The saybolt viscosity (SUS @ 210*F) looks correct. Was that kinematic viscosity a typographical error?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If I'm not mistaken, that kinematic viscosity (cSt @ 100*C) looks WAY off the chart. Shouldn't it be in the 15-16 cSt range for a 40wt oil? The saybolt viscosity (SUS @ 210*F) looks correct. Was that kinematic viscosity a typographical error?

Yes, it was a typo, thanks. It's 13, not 31. I fixed it.

The full report from Blackstone says it should be in the range of 11.6-14.8.

Last edited:
I just took a sample. The oil only has 2,600 miles on it.

I get lost when I read these UOAs, with the whole "universal averages" - where do they get these numbers from?

Measurements from other used oil analysis' done by vehicles with the same engine....?

Even so, how many Porsche's are really doing UOAs?
smile.gif

I know I bring this question up in a weird way, but I've had this thought on my mind a lot, just never "put it down on paper" (err....well...on the Internet :p).

Are used oil analyses that popular to make "universal averages" of similar engines, with similar mileages?

BTW, +1 to the op for the "plain text" UOA
smile.gif
I despise those "graphic" scans of UOAs, and then 2+ years down the road to find a thread with a UOA I'd be interested in and have the UOA being gone because the image got lost on the host computer, taken down, whatever
wink.gif

I think B_S made the suggestion of changing the oil because of fuel dilution. That being said the oil looks like it is holding up well, I would change at 4k or at 12 mo. since you are doing auto-crosses and such.

Last edited:
Hi,
ahoier - You said:
"Are used oil analyses that popular to make "universal averages" of similar engines, with similar mileages?"

Your caution is very well placed when reading individual "single pass" UOAs here on BITOG - or elsewhere

Individual engine "signatures" are important when kept on one lubricant and Trended over some meaningful period. The same applies to engine families say within a Fleet etc. The data then becomes meaningful in real terms

On BITOG most UOAs are meaningful as to the lubricant's condition - sometimes a coolant intrusion etc can possibly be detected - otherwise they should be treated as "fun"

Porsche in NA do have considerable data on M96 engines having followed engine issues this way some years ago via their Dealer network. MB is much the same (less the Issues) via their Fleet based in Sindelfingen

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I think B_S made the suggestion of changing the oil because of fuel dilution. That being said the oil looks like it is holding up well, I would change at 4k or at 12 mo. since you are doing auto-crosses and such.

Wouldn't a good long drive evaporate that fuel?

2% isn't necessarily bad, especially if you're driving that car hard (which I hope you are).

A long stint on the highway might help nuke that stuff, yeah.

Glad to see visco didn't change from virgin, 13.5 cSt.

2.0% fuel is a lot assuming the oil gets up to temp.

Engine is still breaking in and will for a while.

I am amazed that this oil didn't shear after 2600 miles especially with 2% fuel and a Viscosity Index of 185.

M1 0W40 is one of my candidate oils to replace the M1 5W50 in my GT500 once the warranty expires.

I drive this car to work once or twice a week, the commute is about 30-40 minutes each way. That should be enough to evaporate the fuel, shouldn't it? I haven't done a drive longer than that in some time. The electric engine bay cooling fan comes on (as it should, the mid-engine layout doesn't get the airflow through the engine bay like a front engine car does) and the temperature gauge reads normally. The car gets very hot during autocrosses, but only for a short time.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
ahoier - You said:
"Are used oil analyses that popular to make "universal averages" of similar engines, with similar mileages?"

Your caution is very well placed when reading individual "single pass" UOAs here on BITOG - or elsewhere

Individual engine "signatures" are important when kept on one lubricant and Trended over some meaningful period. The same applies to engine families say within a Fleet etc. The data then becomes meaningful in real terms

On BITOG most UOAs are meaningful as to the lubricant's condition - sometimes a coolant intrusion etc can possibly be detected - otherwise they should be treated as "fun"

Porsche in NA do have considerable data on M96 engines having followed engine issues this way some years ago via their Dealer network. MB is much the same (less the Issues) via their Fleet based in Sindelfingen

Hey Doug, FYI the '06-'08 Caymans and Boxsters use the M97 family of engines. It's an evolution of the M96 family. Specifically, my '08 Cayman S has the M97.21 engine. The M97 engine family has the upgraded IMS (and some other bits), so those problems are essentially non-existent.

The '09's on (second generation Caymans) use the new 9A1 engine family. This is the one with four oil pumps, the one shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv53RbvgfGc

I wonder if the engine still breaking in (e.g. rings not seating) is the source of the fuel in the oil, and that will decrease as the rings continue to seat?

Hi,
Kang - Yes I am very aware of the engine families involved having been a long term Porsche Owner. The M96 engine family had issues that were largely unexplained and inconsistent - IMS failures being a minor number in real terms. Porsche investigated the various failures and used UOAs in the process. That ceased around 2003 or so. Your engine family is largely trouble free

M1 0W-40 is highly respected at Zuffenhausen from the Top down to the ex Race Engineers who keep the wonderful Museum and their race cars alive and well. And most German Owners and race Engineers use it too

It is important to realise that some modern engine familes do require time to settle down from new (In my Class 8 trucks - worked hard from day one - this could take up to 60kkms)

Fuel dilution is often blown out of all proportion and at the Nurburgring last year some Oil Co and Engine Developmment Engineers were talking about high dilution figures (>6%) NOT showing up as causing excessive wear

May Porsche (and some MB) engine families have used multiple oils pumps. Some pre WW2 MB race cars had up to eight!

Some pumps are scavange type and etc but all share a Technical dilemma - how to control foaming. Modern lubricanst formulations are but one trick in the book

Doug slightly off topic, but since you're a Porsche guy, what would you recommend for a 2000 Carrera 911 with 60,000 kms

M1 0w40, CS 5w40, Liqui Moly 5w40 Amsoil 5w40 and Rotella 5w40 are all readily available. Daily driven in the summer and fall, parked for the winter.

Thanks

Hi,
e36'n - Well I would stay with M1 0W-40. Zuffenhausen thinks it works well enough to have used it as a Factory Fill and race lubricant since about 1997

Your car seems to be a good contender to stay with an Approvel lubricant. An Approved Liqui Moly 5W-40 would be my choice of an (unneccesary) alternative to M1 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back