Mobil Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share my experience with Mobil Drive Clean Plus (now Clean 7500).

I have a 1997 Toyota Celica GT convertible with the 2.2-liter sludge-prone engine. I bought the car with 42,000 miles on the odometer and now has 149K miles.

The car has been exclusively maintained by the Toyota dealerships...it got Castrol GTX 10W30 at every oil change. I've also ran Valvoline MaxLife & Chevron too...all 10W30 grade. I never ever noticed any difference in the way the car ran till I tried Mobil Drive Clean Plus (high mileage synthetic blend). Almost instantly i noticed that my engine's water temperature guage would run cooler...something which NEVER happened for as long as I owned the car. I've tried different oils in my car and the temp gauge would never fluctuate from the middle part when the car has been fully warmed up and being driven...however, ever since i put the Mobil blend in there the guage fluctuates and always gives me a cooler reading.

Just thought I'd share this experience. I've been using Mobil synthetic blend exclusively ever since and the engine is running great. I've also tried Castrol GTX high mileage before i tried Mobil blend and the car started consuming oil for some reason more than normal. The engine barely consumes any oil anymore now.

Just got an oil change 2day...put in 3 quarts Clean 7500 & 1 quart Mobil 1 EP 10W30...engine seems to run real smooth.

welcome.gif

Welcome to the forum. The variations in these oils should not make any difference in the reading of your coolant temperature. It sounds like your thermostat may be in need of replacement or checking out. Running too cold can be problematic also. I replaced mine back in the Winter for doing this same thing.

Glad you like the oil, but maybe a coincidence on the temp guage.

My tech's had to use the scan tool to determine the thermostat was in fact intermittently defective.

P.S., I had just switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Syntec (GC 0W-30), when I noticed this. Pure coincidence. Running too cold can affect your engines efficiency and not allow contaminants in the oil like fuel and water vapor burn off.

[ July 09, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

I agree with the last post. Most likely a coincidence with the cooler temps and oil. At the mileage your car is at there is a good chance that the thermostat is almost worn out especially if it has never been changed.

My recommendation is to get the new thermostat from the Toyota dealer. Even at the dealer it should only be ten dollars or less. Working on Hondas I noticed that the aftermarket t-stats are garbage compared to the OEM part.

The thermostat is one of the most critical parts on modern cars! If it sticks closed your car may overheat and if it sticks open your car will never reach full operating temp. Buying an OEM t-stat will guarantee that it will open at precisely the right temp.

quote:

Originally posted by AcuraTech:
I agree with the last post. Most likely a coincidence with the cooler temps and oil. At the mileage your car is at there is a good chance that the thermostat is almost worn out especially if it has never been changed.

My recommendation is to get the new thermostat from the Toyota dealer. Even at the dealer it should only be ten dollars or less. Working on Hondas I noticed that the aftermarket t-stats are garbage compared to the OEM part.

The thermostat is one of the most critical parts on modern cars! If it sticks closed your car may overheat and if it sticks open your car will never reach full operating temp. Buying an OEM t-stat will guarantee that it will open at precisely the right temp.

I'm not a tech, but I agree about thermostats. There is a lot of after market junk out there and in the wrong heat ranges. Doesn't have to absolutely be OEM, but you have to be careful what you buy. Seems like the discount places always wanted to sell me one 10°F colder than recommended and I can tell a difference in how the truck runs. Colder isn't better always!

I hate all the junk thermostats, belts, hoses, wires, etc. Sorry for the rant.
offtopic.gif

Thanks for the friendly welcome & advice. I will have the techs check out the cooling system the next time I'm at the dealership. The radiator was drained and filled about a yr and half back. Summer is here so i should definitely get the thermostat checked out.

I also had a '99 Lexus RX300 (with the infamous sludge-monster 3.0-liter V6). I did try the same Mobil Drive Clean Plus in the Lexus but noticed no difference in the water temperature. Engine did run smoother though.

Thanks for the insight
smile.gif

I have noticed the same thing with my 22R and Mobile Clean, however, I replaced my termostat eariler this year so I have somewhat ruled that out as the problem. It's not running incredibly cold, it's just below level on the gauge.

quote:

Originally posted by travisdecpn:
I have noticed the same thing with my 22R and Mobile Clean, however, I replaced my termostat eariler this year so I have somewhat ruled that out as the problem. It's not running incredibly cold, it's just below level on the gauge.

Prior to the Mobil Drive Clean Plus I had never used a synthetic blend or synthetic oil in the car...and seeing the difference in the water temp after using the blend really made me satisfied in the lower temperature...i really hope the stuff is working and not just a faulty thermostat.

FWIW, I've noticed the same thing, however slight it may be, I've noticed it.

I now run 5w-40 Rotella, whereas I used to run 10w-30 Havoline in a 97 Rodeo.

I don't believe it's the thermostat, just had all belts, hoses, thermostat, and radiator flushed not even 9k miles ago.

An out-of-spec pressure cap could also result in abnormally high or low running temps. How recently was the coolant flushed and replaced? If it's now less than 50% antifreeze concentration, that could also result in slightly cooler renning temps. Please understand, we're NOT saying that Mobil 7500 is a bad product - we're merely suspicious that something else is at play here to account for the cooler running temps. Gawd forbid that you have a cooling system leak - especially the heater core.

The Mobil 7500 is a great oil. I have used M1 for many miles in my van, but they have been creeping the price up to around $5 and it is getting a little expensive. I can get 7500 for $2.18/qt. so I tried it. It seems to be great stuff. I only run about 4-5000 OCI because I have a lot of short trips. The 7500 is less than 1/2 the price and I still get the same MPG and the engine runs smooth.
There is no way that the oil will cause an engine to run so cool that it never allows the thermostat to completely open. The engine will run at the thermostat temp no matter what oil you use.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
I can get 7500 for $2.18/qt. so I tried it. pen. The engine will run at the thermostat temp no matter what oil you use.

Where are you finding Mobil 7500 for $2.18? About the only place I have found it is Autozone and it was close to $3/quart.
Also, I agree with you about coolant temperatures and oil. On my 2003 GMC pickup I have used everything from 5W-20 to 15W-40, dino and synth oils, pulling boat at times, in ambient temperatures from -25 F to 98 F - and once the engine is warmed up the coolant temperature never varies - always runs just under 210 F.

Autozone is a FREAKIN RIPOFF!!!!!!!!! At least in my area, all their oils are consistently about 10 to 20 cents more per quart than the other parts stores. Havoline is around $1.80 there; 40 feet away right next door is Advance Auto where Havoline is always $1.42.

Thanks for the input everyone. Walmart in Orlando sells Clean 7500 10W30 for $2.18/qt. AutoZone does indeed rip off around these parts...the other day I saw a bottle of Black Magic Car Wash for $7.99 at AutoZone and @ walmart the same thing is $5.99.

As for water temp in my engine...the guage does go to the normal reading as it has always been...but sometimes at certain speeds the gauge starts giving a slightly cooler reading (such as driving around 45-55mph)...and when I'm at a redlight the gauge goes back to the normal "middle" position. By the way, the 5SFE engine in the Celica comes with a oil cooler standard too.

quote:

Originally posted by pmt:
Where are you finding Mobil 7500 for $2.18? About the only place I have found it is Autozone and it was close to $3/quart.
Also, I agree with you about coolant temperatures and oil. On my 2003 GMC pickup I have used everything from 5W-20 to 15W-40, dino and synth oils, pulling boat at times, in ambient temperatures from -25 F to 98 F - and once the engine is warmed up the coolant temperature never varies - always runs just under 210 F.

Wal Mart

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:

quote:

Originally posted by pmt:

Wal Mart

In which town? The WalMarts I frequent - Apple Valley and Faribault only carry Mobil 5000, not 7500.
Thanks.

Wal-marts in this area all carry the 7500 for $2.18 and Checkers has it for $1.99 most of the time along with all the other blends.

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back