Mobil downunder is making Redline look even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I want to see the effects of 20 psi of turbo on GC's viscosity!
smile.gif

burnout.gif

burnout.gif

burnout.gif

Here is Tooslick's quote from over a year ago.

quote:

"If anybody actually knew what goes on in this industry, they'd realize how silly this Amsoil vs Mobil 1 stuff really is. Amsoil has been buying PAO basestocks from Mobil for about 25 years and now that Castrol is using Group III stocks, they are no doubt Mobils largest customer of PAO basestocks. In other words, if Amsoil sells more oil, then Mobil sells more PAO basestock. Keep in mind I'm not just talking about engine oils, but also the synthetic compressor oils,hydraulic fluids and industrial gear lubes that Amsoil sells in 55 gallon drums and 275 gallons totes. So if Amsoil tweaks Mobil once in a while about the relative merits of their products,they really don't mind, as they have been in bed together for over two decades.

Amsoil held their direct jobbers convention last spring up in Superior, WI. Guess what corporation paid for the seven course dinner for all the Amsoil dealers? Yes, it was ExxonMobil ...this may seem strange until you realize that Amsoil buys over a million gallons of PAO per year and that number goes up constantly. In addition to ExxonMobil, Amsoil works with Lubrizol to develop their additive chemistries and they purchase shear stable, VI modifiers from Royal Dutch Shell - their "ShellVis" product is a known quantity in the industry. Amsoil also buys very high quality ester basestocks from several suppliers. In other words, they purchase the best raw materials currently available and put together the best synthetics they know how to make. There is no secret at all to what Amsoil does, it simply comes down to how much money you want to put into the formulation.

Could Mobil make an even better synthetic than they do now? Yes, absolutely - they do sell better and more expensive synlubes in Europe and always have. Keep in mind however, that drain intervals in Europe are now in the 20,000km-30,000km range. Mobil would have to charge more for their Mobil 1 product if they did this in the US and sales would go down significantly. Want proof? Most of the so called "oil experts" on this site will tell you that the ACEA A3/B4 rated, Mobil 1, 0w-40 is their best oil. So why are so few of them actually using it? Well, they have to pay $5.00/qt for the stuff at Autozone instead of waiting for the M1, 5w-30 to go in sale for $17.99/5 qt jug at Walmart. Synthetics in the US have turned into a commodity market and that market has decided that they should sell for about $4.00/qt, or better yet, less than that on sale.

Mobil is never going to make a better oil until standard drain intervals increase to the point where it is worthwhile to do so, or they start advertising extended drain intervals once again. Given the legal climate in the US, they simply don't want the product liability associated with pushing extended drains - and they'd sell less oil that way. Heck, they are already making the best OTS synthetic in the $4.00-$4.50/qt range, so why put more money into their formulations just to make "Patman" happy? Ain't gonna happen ....

I do think that Delvac 1, 5w-40 is an even better oil than Mobil 1, but it sells for approx $22.00-$24.00/gallon at truckstops. So they can afford to use higher quality basestocks and a more robust additive chemstry in this formulation."

TooSlick

Yeah ever since SuperSyn has come to Oz its been a complete ripoff. About 6 months ago I bought the 0W-40 TS formulation for about $12/L. Now since its double, there is no way im buying it!! Im still in my rinse phase from the Auto-RX in it, and switching to Motul 300V. Cheaper and a better oil. ($20/L)

A good reason to never buy Mobil or any oil at retail outlets. Always find a distributor. And Doug I have to agree on the XW30 in an Outback or whatever and noise. I have Pennzoil (a d--- good dino) 5W30 SL with RX in mine currently and at startup rattles and noisy when running. Redline 5W30 was better but Delvac 1 the best so far. Fuchs Super GTO MC 10W30 on it's way from Melbourne (Ron) for RX rinse mode then Visco 5000 probably.

Hi Guys,

Have been running Motul 300v in my 200sx, Now abt time to change timewise not k's. Do you think I should continue with 300v (10-40 but may go for 5w30) or look at Delvac 1 or Redline. It seems 10-30 is recommended or a 10-40 for hard drving/ high temp. BTW the 200sx has done just under 3,000km

Sprintman. Read your PM's

[ October 06, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: theguru ]

quote:

I was thinking, try the thinner GC 0W-30 this winter, and save the thicker Delvac 1 5W-40 for the summer.

Same here, except my main consideration is how to make my GC stash last longer. I am comitted to 3x yearly changes. Jan, May and Sept with May being the heavier oil change. For me it will be Rotella T Synth 5w-40. HT/HS of 4.0 should be great for summer. Is it worthwhile? Should I just purchase the GC as needed, if available, and keep my precious 3 year GC stash on-hand?

[ October 06, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Hi Sprintman,

Don't know what going on, but can't send you an email either. Has this changed?

[ October 07, 2003, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Sprintman, might be something with your settings, 'cause there's still a few of mine unread.

Hi,
PM's are readable here on this board. You should see a flag on the top line under the Log out button. A copy is also sent to your email address if it is setup this way. Have a look in your "my profile" up the top rhs. You will also see all your messages here.

Well bugger me! 17 unread PM's going back to July 29th 2002. I win the dumb Aussie of the year award or decade even. Apologies to Bob, Frank, Kule, theguru, icruse, 2533a, Johnny, Shannow, Terry (prayers appreciated), Patman, Grouch, and rugerman1. Now you can all have a good laugh. And to make it worse I work in IT!! Time to go home for a tinnie or two..s

Haha lucky I emailed sprintman about auto-rx and not PMed him or I wouldnt have gone thru 2 bottles of the stuff w/o his assiatance! I'd have no idea where to get the stuff... (locally i mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back