Mobil Clean 7500 vs. Castrol GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep Boys is having the $0.99 deal after rebate on both. Which is the better oil to get for the price and why?

Thanks

I used Mobil Clean 5000 for my first OCI after the initial FF and then the DC 7500 for the next 11,500 miles. I can say if I had to do it again, I would do it the exact same way so I would say go with the Mobil Clean 7500.

If I am not mistaken, the Mobil Clean is a syn blend and GTX is regular dino. If this is correct, then the choice is obvious.

Don't know if the GTX is the new formula that got re-approved to meet minimum GM standards, or if it's the old formula that claimed GM6094M performance that it didn't have.

In addition to the syn blend nature of Mobil Clean 7500, it has 27% more cleaning additives (according to the oil menu at my local quick lube) than Mobil's base GF-4/SM (former Drive Clean now only available at quick lubes) that compares with GTX.

I think either oil is a good one. Although I probably would go with the MC 7500, or get equal amounts of both, try them out, do a uoa, and see which one performs better for you.

I dont know for sure, but I find it interesting that Castrol's Conventional oil is ranked up aginst Mobil's Syn/blend. It either says alot for Castrol or a little for Mobil. I thought they dropped the 7500. Castrol GTX is the highest priced conventional oil on the market, yet alot of people use it, me included. I hope Iam getting the performance, Iam paying for.

Given the fact that the GTX has varnished up every engine that I have used it in, the Mobil Clean 7500 sounds like an exquisitely refreshing and correct choice over the GTX.

Varnish is a far cry from sludge, but please do tell of your experiences with Castrol because that is my current choice of oil and I always like to hear about peoples experiences with different brands of oil not just Castrol. Thats what this site is for.

Quote:

Given the fact that the GTX has varnished up every engine that I have used it in, the Mobil Clean 7500 sounds like an exquisitely refreshing and correct choice over the GTX.

Agreed, I also saw some reports here on how it varnished an engine and stayed away. Also I saw a thread on how MC varnished a V6 Mustang and it has me hesitating but I am lured by 25+ mpg from a V6. I wonder if MC is a varnish monster too although I only saw one report of it? Could it be a false positive?
dunno.gif

Last edited:
if it helps achieve good mpg but varnishes an engine slighly, would a maintenance dose of auto-rx do the trick w/ every oil change?

Quote:

if it helps achieve good mpg but varnishes an engine slighly, would a maintenance dose of auto-rx do the trick w/ every oil change?

How does varnish adversly impact an engine exactly? I do not believe in Auto-Rx. Maybe I can use MC sparingly(not back to back) and get spared 'the rod that is varnish' Is varnish one type of 'poor man's sludge'?

Last edited:
I have to agree on GTX varnishing. I personally don't like either oil but the 7500 would be my pick if I had to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back