Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone see a problem in using Mobil 1 5W-30 and changing it by the engine oil life monitor. Monitor usually shows about 4000 miles when it says to change the oil. I have been using an extended drain oil up till now with 6 months filter changes. I think if I use the oil life monitor system I will be changing oil about every 8 months. I think that doing the filter changes with the oil I'm using now verses changing with the monitor system I'll be getting fresh oil every 8 months. If you have to get under there to change the filter, you might as well change the oil anyway. Comments please.

[ December 25, 2002, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: westex39 ]

I agree that while changing the filter it makes sense to change the oil as well. A good friend of mine has a 2001 Vette with a oil monitor and according to him, no one goes by that. This is based on all the forums he goes into and his Vette club. If your only averaging 4,000 miles every 8 months, it probably is a good idea to change it. Amsoil claims 1yr or 25K which ever comes first so 8months is 2/3 of a year so go for it.

I see no problems at all trusting the oil life monitor when used in conjunction with a good blend or synthetic. If anything those oil life monitors are conservative and your oil will still have life left in it even when it says it does. You should try a test. Run it until the monitor comes on, then analyze and see just how much life really was left in the oil. That should give you confidence to continue going by the monitor.

Most Vette guys don't use the monitor because they are still stuck in the old 3000 mile mentality.

I just sent in my 2002 Corvette oil (Amsoil 5W-30) to Terry Dyson for analysis. It should be interesting as my DIC was reporting that I had 49% oil life remaining at the time of change and the oil had 6K miles on it.

[ December 26, 2002, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: vettenuts ]

Vettnuts, what made you go with Amsoil? Just curious. I'm going to send a sample in for there 0w-30 series 2000 in about a month. My friend at work has a 2001 Vette but won't use anything but Mobil 1 (factory fill).

Attention K-Mart shoppers. Mobil 1 on sale for $4 a quart until Tuesday. FWIW
dunno.gif

Speaking of Mobil 1, I was just over at my parents house and discovered an old bottle of Mobil 1 in the basement. It was Advanced Formula Mobil 1, SJ formula. I forgot they even made that one, as most of the Advanced Formula stuff was SH if I recall correctly. Must've been only out for a short time, then TriSynthetic came in.

The oil life monitor on the vette tends to think 15,000 mile changes are all it needs... Most oil life monitors are not conservative IMO.

Keep in mind under ideal conditions with Mobil 1 in the Vette, 15k is theoretically possible. That would be with 100% highway driving. Most Vette owners would never see their trip computer allowing them to hit 15k. The more hard driving they do the quicker that oil life monitor counts down to zero.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I see no problems at all trusting the oil life monitor when used in conjunction with a good blend or synthetic. If anything those oil life monitors are conservative and your oil will still have life left in it even when it says it does. You should try a test. Run it until the monitor comes on, then analyze and see just how much life really was left in the oil. That should give you confidence to continue going by the monitor.

Most Vette guys don't use the monitor because they are still stuck in the old 3000 mile mentality.

Come on Patman, give us a break!
banghead.gif

I'm not picking on Vette owners, believe me, my f-body friends are the same way! As a matter of fact most car enthusiasts are this way. They spend tons of time researching modifications for their cars, but don't take the time to find out that synthetic oil does not need changing every 3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back