How old is too old in months for Mobil 1 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get too excited about Mobil 1 sitting 12 months in the engine's sump when most cars (non-BITOG) have their diff fluid sitting 10 years in the carrier.

I would use it for a short interval, seeing as you are breaking in this engine. You may have cause to be more concerned about the oil filter, particullary the base seal. Do you know it's manufacturer? Is it conmensurate quality to the Mobil 1? Have you made your concern known to the dealer? Is it factory fill that's still it there or did they change at the 1 yr. mark. 90k with taxes, right, short money to change it. Maybe if you bug dealer enough they will rectify things for you.

Been running Mobil 1 in all of my cars. Been using the 12 month or 12,000 mile rule. I change the filter (Mobil Extended Performance of course) every 3000 to 4000 miles and no problems after years of service.

I guess the Mobil 1 5w30 factory fill is good for atleast 4 1/2 years based on my UOA on the recent 2008 Vette I just bought. Oil had less then 1K miles on the car and the sample. Sample was fine 80% of the additive was still good. It had some wear metals since it only had 370 miles of test drives on the oil and then another 5-600 miles of normal driving but no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back