How old is too old in months for Mobil 1 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2008 that comes from the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The car was manufactured and the oil put in the engine December 2007. The car now has 200 miles on it. So the oil is 1 year old. Normal interval for oil changes on my car per the manufacture is once a year or 13K miles. My question is do you guys think the Mobil 1 will be OK until I drive it for an additional year or 13K miles? The car also has a maintenance monitoring system that should of gone off in December when the dealer had the car. So I figure they just reset the monitor???

I've been told by Mobil 1's customer service dept that the shelf life of previously opened Mobil 1 is one year. I would think that the one year rule would apply here.

Do as you wish, but in the grand scheme of things, what's another $30 when you just spent five figures worth of money on a car?

So would you guys wait until the 3K mile free check-up and then have them also change the oil? That should happen within say 3 months so the oil would be 15 months old and it would clean out any factory breakin stuff.

One year is nothing with virtually no mileage on the oil.
I also beg to differ with the M1 rep'; opened or not, shelf life of unused oil is many many years, particularily if stored at above freezing temps.
I'd wait until you've got atleast some mileage on the factory fill; 2 or 3 thou' atleast.

seeing as mobil published the Aunt Millie test with 60 months in actual operation on 1998 synthetic oil, the "12 months open" opinion is laughable.

i just mailed off my father's oil sample out of his tundra. 5 years and 10k. i look forward to another boring tundra OA.

I called XOM, asked a customer service rep, and was told 10 years as the shelf life of M1 oil, unopened.

I guess that it would be less once poured into the engine and in contact with metals and gaskets. However, I don't know how much.

I have to admit, there may be some substance to "shelf life" of a motor oil, but it seems as if some view it like canned food. Somehow, in my ignorance, it all seems rather anal to me. But thanks for the levity you've brought into my life today!

Sorry, in the grand scheme of things, it all seems rather arcane. Oil sits for some time in a lot of agricultural and construction equipment, yet induces no problems. And I cannot see why anyone would "sit" on unopened oil for 10 years or more. Perhaps they are just a "pack rat".

Oh well....

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
seeing as mobil published the Aunt Millie test with 60 months in actual operation on 1998 synthetic oil, the "12 months open" opinion is laughable.

i just mailed off my father's oil sample out of his tundra. 5 years and 10k. i look forward to another boring tundra OA.

I would think that there may be some additional additives in the original oil. If that's the case.. waiting until 3K seems fine.

Originally Posted By: NYBob

I would think that there may be some additional additives in the original oil. If that's the case.. waiting until 3K seems fine.

I think I will wait for the 3 months and do the oil/filter change. Mercedes only charges $180 to suck out the old oil and put on a new filter :)

Originally Posted By: Pitbull

I think I will wait for the 3 months and do the oil/filter change. Mercedes only charges $180 to suck out the old oil and put on a new filter :)

What's the sump capacity on that beauty? Is MB running good deals on the left over CL's?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I've been told by Mobil 1's customer service dept that the shelf life of previously opened Mobil 1 is one year.

Originally Posted By: momomeister
I called XOM, asked a customer service rep, and was told 10 years as the shelf life of M1 oil, unopened.

So what is in Mobil 1 that if air hits it the shelf life drops by 9 years?

Or is this typical Mobil Customer Service [censored]?
grin2.gif

It's not the "shelf life" of the oil but during the year before you purchased the car how many times was it started BRIEFLY to move it then shut it off. I would think that this dilutes the oil with fuel which never has a chance to evaporate during the year. If your vehicle has direct fuel injection than it's even worse. Is it a leased or bought vehicle? If it's leased and you are going to return it to Mercedes I wouldn't worry about it. If you are going to keep it for the long haul I'd change it sooner than later.

Whimsey

yes... keep the oil to 13 k...

i realised that its a good for "break-in" (confirmed today sampling the oil) and... i didnt remember but.. it is a
"factory fill" to lots of brands...

i dont wonder its specific...

so dont rev so hard just now but in 3k or 6 monts (urban)
allow yourself to push the engine to the limit from time to time...
on road continuos driving...

but do it with the mobil 1 ... dont change before the 13k advised
that oil is still new

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: Pitbull

What's the sump capacity on that beauty? Is MB running good deals on the left over CL's?

Mine listed for $118K and I got $30K off, it was a good deal. Since I am the original owner I can extend the factory bumper to bumper warranty anytime before I reach the 4 year or 50K mile limit, for an additional 3 years and up to 100K miles. Cost to extend is about $5K. But I would not own one that was not under factory warranty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back