Mobil 1 vs AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Bob. Spector you are probably close in your assumption for your cars if you can contain the variability over the length of your testing. You cannot apply it across the universe of others tests though.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
I'm sorry but I do not agree. Wear #'s are not linear to mileage. Of course you'll see increases but not to those degrees necessarily and are not absolute.

As we talked about last night, sometimes it could be less and some times it could be exponentially higher. This is why trending is so important!

I pretty much agree also with previous posts. Which is why interpreting analysis results (an art, not a science) without at least three samples over the same mileage, same conditions and same oil on same engine is so important and knowing the analysis from a virgin sample as well. Looking at one sample, as we tend to do on most boards, is pretty much useless. Every engine off the line will wear differently. Which is why Blackstone's averages are also useless. Of course, that's my unprofessional opinion.

For most people (ave driver) oil analysis probably creates more potential problems/issues/concerns ( oh why is my copper 20 ppm higher then the ave and are my bearings wearing prematurely etc) then it can ever prevent. But, I still keep throwing money at it.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
msparks,
Do you have any info on the Amsoil vs Mobil 1 test I was informed of?

I havn't heard anything about the tests yet. I'm sure when they come out they will be put on the comparison graphs when it does.

I dont' know much about this new supersyn. So I can't comment.

Though I will say that the Old XL 7500 is about the only close comparison to the old trisynthetic.

Answer I recieved from Amsoil;

quote:

We did some preliminary in house testing on Supersyn. We’re probably going to revise some of our comparison graphs showing this product and some of the other new products on the market. After the independent labs confirm the test results we will make a corporate statement. For now I can tell you that what we found so far is a good but unremarkable product. The baseline showed no “trick” ingredients, and appears to be simply the Mobil Tri-Synthetic with slight chemistry changes to meet the API SL standards. The TBN was a little weak, but they are not looking at extended drains the same way we are. On the light duty 4 ball it scored quite well with a .35mm scar. It didn’t do so well in the more severe 4 ball test scoring a .60mm scar. This compares to 037 for TSO. We’ll have more info coming up.

quote:

Answer I recieved from Amsoil;

It didn’t do so well in the more severe 4 ball test scoring a .60mm scar
crushedcar.gif
. This compares to 037 for TSO. We’ll have more info coming up.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch that stings!
pat.gif

[ August 02, 2002, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Ever heard of the term "being politically correct?

Always compliment the oil good but unremarkable product. The baseline showed no “trick” ingredients, and appears to be simply the Mobil Tri-Synthetic with slight chemistry changes to meet the API SL standards:light duty 4 ball it scored quite well with a .35mm scar(less antiwear levels)

but then bring up the truth and weak points The TBN was a little weak: It didn’t do so well in the more severe 4 ball test scoring a .60mm scar(lower detergency? at least against amsoil it would be lower)(and how does the light duty 4ball score with other oils that produce .35mm?)

Maybe I'm looking at his statement differently but It seems to fall into what I had been saying so far. As a standard conventional oil maybe fine but doesn't compare to what the trisynth is or was.

I asked for details as to exactly what "light duty" and "severe" mean.

They show 3 different four ball tests on their site.

Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172 B: 40 kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hour, Scar in mm)

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 40kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D 4172: 60kg, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm

I'm assuming that the first is the light duty.
Amsoil's 5W30(ASL) and 10W30(ATM) synthetic also score a .35 on this one.

Their XL7500s score a .40 on the second one with the 0W30(TSO) scoring a .373.

-

-

One thing I wonder about... Why don't they use one four ball and stick with it? Then you could get an appreciation for each oil on a consistent basis.

[ August 02, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

Hmm, Amsoil says SuperSyn is good but unremarkable, basically a slightly modified TriSyn. I guess it all hinges on just how significant those "slight chemistry changes to meet API SL standards" are.

Well, Amsoil saying it's "good" is significant in itself.

quote:

I run Mobil 1 because I can buy it at Autozone or Walmart. I am sure it's better than Tri which was better than AF, when Mobil brought out the Tri, everyone started talking about it being worse, it wasn't. It's interesting that everytime one of the other companies makes improvement, everyone applaudes, but every time Mobil 1 improves, everyone boos. Unless something comes out in anaysis that it is no good, I'll use it. Been using it with excellent results for over 10 years now...

I agree wholeheartedly
cheers.gif
. Mobil 1 gets Waaayyyy too much negative pr here. Funny to sit back and observe though....
lol.gif

Mobil 1 is a very good product, however since they are formulating it to sell @ $4.00/qt, they are somewhat limited in terms of the basestocks and additive chemistry they can use. The Delvac 1, 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil is a better (but more expensive) product, with a more robust additive package.

There is no secret to making a long drain synthetic oil - it is simply a matter of $$$$ and experience.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by Ted Kublin:
Mobil 1 is a very good product, however since they are formulating it to sell @ $4.00/qt, they are somewhat limited in terms of the basestocks and additive chemistry they can use. The Delvac 1, 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil is a better (but more expensive) product, with a more robust additive package.

There is no secret to making a long drain synthetic oil - it is simply a matter of $$$$ and experience.

TooSlick

I wish I could buy Mobil 1 @ $4.00/quart. It sells here for $4.80 to $5.00/quart depending on where you go.

quote:

Originally posted by ColdFusion:

quote:

Originally posted by Ted Kublin:

TooSlick

I wish I could buy Mobil 1 @ $4.00/quart. It sells here for $4.80 to $5.00/quart depending on where you go.

Come on up to Canada! We've still got boatloads of the TriSynthetic Mobil 1 for $6.35 per liter up here (or $5 a liter if you find the 5L jugs!) and at $6.35 per liter that's about $4US. Of course it would cost you more in travel expenses to get here, but you guys could visit the Patman while you're up here!

I'll buy you a beer!

cheers.gif

I got a reply from Amsoil.

-------------------------------------------------
40 kg, 75º C, 1200 rpm, 1 hour.

40 kg, 150º, 1800 rpm, 1 hour.

-----Original Message-----

What are the details of the 2 different 4 ball tests?

Thanks,

Wayne
-------------------------------------------------

So, Mobil 1 SuperSyn has the same four ball as Amsoil's regular synthetics, but worse than their Amsoil 2000 and XL7500.

I wonder if the results for the XL7500 are from the PAO based, or the new Group III based oil.

Considering that Amsoil's regular synthetic oils have the same price as Mobil 1, at about $5, this is not that bad. The 2000 goes for about $8 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back