Mobil 1 Virgin Oil Analysis Compendium (Blackstone Labs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by slickracer:
Looks to me like the 0W30 is the one to use. I might use that in my new Honda Civic I'm getting tomorrow
wink.gif

Well, I ran Mobil 1 in my wife's old 86 528e from 40k to 180k. I used 0W30, 5W30 and 10W30. I used more of the 0W30 than anything else. I never did a UOA, but I has no measurable consumption with the 0W30. Many old BMWs report using xW40 and xW50 in order to slow oil consumption. I never had to do that. My gut feel was that the 0W30 was Mobil 1's best xW30. Just one guy's humble (very humble) opinion.

Jack

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:
Maybe you could add Delvac 1 to the spreadsheet? It's not really Mobil 1, but it is a very close relative!

Here you are. I still could not find 0W-20 VOA from Blackstone labs.

cheers.gif

-

Interesting summation. It appears from the virgin analysis that they are using the
borate ester(s), instead of the potassium triborates.

The borate esters and calcium complexes constitute a secondary AW/EP additive since the ZDDP levels have been lowered.

In other words, to take up the "slack," additional secondary AW/EP additives are incorporated in the form of borate esters and calcium carbonates.

Moly DTC and base esters appear to be providing most of the Friction Modification function.

This also tells me that Delvac 1 is using heavy TME polyol esters to replace the moly as the secondary friction modifier. This is expensive but very effective.

offtopic.gif

'Kule,

That was my thinking too.
rolleyes.gif
yeah right! (This isn't easy stuff for us English majors!)

quote:

Originally posted by J:
I still could not find 0W-20 VOA from Blackstone labs.

cheers.gif

LubeRube has done a virgin analysis by Blackstone on Mobil 1 0w-20 but he hasn't posted it in this forum. Here are his numbers from Aug 03:

code:

Al 2

Cr 0

Fe 2

Cu 0

Pb 0

Sn 0

Mo 67

Ni 0

Mn 0

Ag 0

Ti 0

K 0

B 198

Si 3

Na 7

Ca 2892

Mg 21

P 862

Zn 979

Ba 0

SUS viscosity 54.9 (8.75cSt)

Flash point 470F

TBN 11

Hi,

Thanks to Jay, we now have all the fine
Exxon/Mobil synthetic products in one table.

cheers.gif

-

thanks

Jae

The flashpoint given by blackstone is not that accurate. I would just look at published numbers if you want to compare flash points. The flash point bstone uses is just a closed cup quick and dirty method just to determine contamination. NO ONE could afford to give accurate enough flash point data to compare new oil properties. It would take an extremely long time to perform.

From the Mobil 1 site

Mobil 0w-30 234c - vi index 175

Mobil 0w-40 236c - vi index 187

Mobil 5w-30 224c - vi index 167

I'm not so certain there's alot of those polymeric thickeners in these 0w-'s from Mobil . Me kinda thinks the vi spread is gained in another way .

[ March 31, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Look up the 10w-30

edit: And I am not so sure flash point is relevant to content of VII.

Some more accurate indications would be viscosity at 100C compared to HTHS. And also the VI.

[ March 31, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Jason Troxell ]

The 10w-30 just helps prove my point when I spoke of flash point lowering when vii's were added to dino's .

10w-30 SS Flash 244 - vi index 147

Me still thinks the 0w-'s are special

EDIT:

I know there is a current thread about the possibilty that Mobil does not contain esters . Not trying to stir the pot but I find that somewhat difficult for me to believe although I'm far from an expert and it's just my opinion but when member # 59 speaks ..... I listen .

For those interested read member # 59's posts in this thread .

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001714;p=2

Me still thinks even more so that the 0w-'s are special
smile.gif

[ March 31, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Me still thinks the 0w-'s are special

I agree and think these oils do have more esters in them. M1 0w-20 had a different smell to it. Formulations are probably close across the board with M1 oils, but they do vary and they state that. Each viscosity is tailored to meet a specific requirement, like any oil for the most part.

Well I need more than Flashpoint to be convinced.

Show me a base oil with 187 or 175 VI -- that can be used for less than $5/qt -- and I might entertain your theory
wink.gif

I notice that there isn't the 5W-50 on the list.
Is this available in the US ?, as it is Mobil's biggest (synthetic) seller here.
(mainly because it's the most widely available )

Rick.

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
I notice that there isn't the 5W-50 on the list.
Is this available in the US ?, as it is Mobil's biggest (synthetic) seller here.
(mainly because it's the most widely available )

Rick.

M1 5w50 isn't available in North America. The only OTC 5w50s here are Pennzoil synthetic, Castrol Syntec or Quaker State synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back