Mobil 1 TDT 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this question doesn't sound to stupid bu I have a question regarding these new bottles of this oil.

Th old ones listed API C1-4 SL/CF. Also ACEA E5/E4/E3

Gasoline SL/SJ

New Bottle

ACEA E7/E5

Gasoline engine

API. SM,SL/SJ

Does this mean they lowered zinc and phos to levals to meet the SM SL now or would there have to be a voa to determine

Mobil 1 TDT 5-40 has 1000 ppm of ZDDP. That's plenty for any modern engine without a flat tappet cam. The oils of the 70's had as much as 16 or 1700 ppm of ZDDP. TDT 5-40 would be borderline I think for a very high pressure valve spring set up on a flat tappet cam in a high horsepower V-8 from the 70's. Mobil recommends their 15-50 with 1300 ppm ZDDP for engines like that. Which is great if your in a warmer climate. I ran that oil for 10 years. The 15-50 is REAL GOOD STUFF and so is the TDT 5-40. I quit running synthetics just recently due to my personal application and the desire for more ZDDP. I now use Valvoline VR1 dino 10-30. But I have an old relic from 1973 so it has special needs.

Last edited:
Hi,
Trvlr500 You said this:
"TDT 5-40 would be borderline I think for a very high pressure valve spring set up on a flat tappet cam in a high horsepower V-8 from the 70's"

This lubricant is extensively used in Porsche V8 engines with excellent results. We should not get too "hung up" on ZDDP levels - it is the total package that produces the end result

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Trvlr500 You said this:
"TDT 5-40 would be borderline I think for a very high pressure valve spring set up on a flat tappet cam in a high horsepower V-8 from the 70's"

This lubricant is extensively used in Porsche V8 engines with excellent results. We should not get too "hung up" on ZDDP levels - it is the total package that produces the end result

Well, Doug Hillary. I've read many of your posts and I'm not about to disagree with you. You know far more than I do. It was just my opinion.

Doug Hillary,

Are the Porsche V-8's running flat tappets with high spring pressures? I would have thought they had gone to a different configuration these days such as OHC and or roller cams. I don't know. I haven't kept up on that sort of thing for years.

I just don't feel comforatable with the lower ZDDP levels for the real old engines and I have also noticed that since I went back to dino I have no oil usage where I had considerable oil usage with the Mobil 1 15-50 and 10-30 that I used for years. As much as a qt in 500 miles.

I also tried the TDT 5-40 and it used oil with that as well. You will never hear me say anything bad about Mobil 1 it's just that I decided to go another route.

In my particular application I the dino seems to work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back