Mobil 1 Synthetic grease is junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I thought I should add:

The Petro-Canada synthetic grease separates as well when left under pressure. Not quite as bad as the M1, but it definitely does it. Relieving the pressure on the gun stops it.

I worked in a machine shop for many years and we used all sorts of grease. At any one time we may have had 10 grease guns with grease for general use, and they all leaked some. We also rebuilt planitary gear boxes and the company we did those for insisted on M1 grease.

I had my grease gun leak terribly with a Mobil-1 synthetic grease tube in it. It was stored in my "cold" Alaskan garage -- on a garage shelf that saw a temp range of 40 to 75 degrees F!
My grease gun will be loaded with Lucas Oil 10301 heavy-duty grease next go-round. It's $4.98 on Amazon, and has an excellent reputation for not leaking.

Last edited:
I see this old thread has cropped up so let me say I went back to using Mobil 1 red synthetic. It does not significantly leak out of the new gun I bought a few years ago only a slight weep after a long time. It is a very good grease but that leaking in one gun was terrible, what a mess.
The trick is to put the gun in a plastic bag with a rubber band while storing it.

Originally Posted by Trav

The trick is to put the gun in a plastic bag with a rubber band while storing it.

That is exactly what I do. The leaking isn't bad, but the bag keeps things neat. I also pull the plunger on the grease gun when I'm done with it.

I used M1 red for several years without any bearing or component failure but yes, it always bled while sitting in the gun. This is the reason I stopped using it in the gun. I still have half a tube in my tool box for odds and ends.

Not an Amsoil fanboy but I was given half a case of their #2 purple lithium and while it is tackier than the Mobil, it has never bled and has not killed any bearings or components yet.

Originally Posted by Trav
I see this old thread has cropped up so let me say I went back to using Mobil 1 red synthetic. It does not significantly leak out of the new gun I bought a few years ago only a slight weep after a long time. It is a very good grease but that leaking in one gun was terrible, what a mess.

That's what I do, put it a 2.5 gallon ziplock bag with an absorbant paper towel.

BTW, the new Polymer Greases (such as what Asmoil and others sell) seem to be more stable under heat and more flowable in cold weather.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back