Mobil 1 synthetic atf in honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if you can use the Mobil 1 in an 09 accord that came with z-1? Tried dw-1 a few years back and didn't care for the shift quality at all. Put castrol import multi in and like much better. I was thinking about amsoil atf. It's a syn dex/merc, no? So is royal purple max atf. My ups driver put the royal purple in his pilot and raves about it. The mobil 1 specs are very similar to the other fluids except no z-1 on the back label. But it is jaso-1A approved. What do you guys think?

I’ve read excellent reviews on Maxlife ATF in Hondas spec’ed for Z-1 or DW factory ATF.

I’d skip Mobil 1 and buy the less expensive Valvoline.

What does your owner's manual say? For my Honda it says ATF-Z1 or dexron III. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is a replacement for dexron III so it is acceptable for that use. You can also use dexron VI which is the official replacement for dexron III and works fine in both my Honda and my old BMW.

Maxlife is another good choice, I use that in my Sienna.

Maxlife is not like Dexron III. It specs out more like Dexron VI. The M1 ATF is more like Dexron III. For this reason the M1 is a safer bet.

Originally Posted By: Dave1027
Maxlife is not like Dexron III. It specs out more like Dexron VI. The M1 ATF is more like Dexron III. For this reason the M1 is a safer bet.

Safer how?

I agree. I tried Maxlife and found the shifting very harsh. I figure it's because it's a LV fluid. The Castrol Import multi smoothed it out again. I'm just not crazy about the cold shifting in the winter.

If you are referring to viscosity differences shown on a PDS, those are misleading. Dexron III has poorer viscosity retention compared to dexron VI, that was one of the performance requirements for dexron VI. So even though dexron VI (and Maxlife) start off somewhat lower in viscosity they retain it better and end up in the same place after a short period of operation. Valvoline explained this about Maxlife in a letter:

Quote:
When the 6.8 cSt minimum specification was originally established in the 1980s it had to take into account that ATFs were formulated with lower quality base oils and additives than are available today. A 6.8 cSt minimum was needed to assure the viscosity remained sufficiently high while in use. In service, as simulated by the 20 hr KRL test, these oils shear down to between 4.8 and 5.2 cSt. Typical MERCON oils today continue to use the older technology. Conversely, MaxLife is formulated with synthetic base oils and the highest quality additives available today. Though it starts out at a lower viscosity it only shears down to 5.7 cSt in KRL. The greater viscosity stability, higher after shear viscosity, and superior chemistry of MaxLife means superior performance in MERCON applications.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4302236/Valvoline_Maxlife_Transmission

Safer?????? The OEM manufactures and "by the manual" poster's Dogma making you nervous? Don't let it. There are SO people that use BETTER ATF then OEM with zero issues. I myself would not choose Maxlife when there is Amsoil Sig Series and Redline out there. Not poo pooing Maxlife I put it in mt daughters old Civic with some Redline Typr-F racing to reduce some slip. But for a newer "nice car" I will skip the group 3 of Maxlife and go with the Amsoil group 4 and Redline group 5 oil every time if it is a newer car. The very little cost extra is worth it. I have ran Redline in 3 different Honda's with Redline Racing regular ATF and Lightweight Racing to more match the viscosity of Redline D6 and reduce the over use of slip agents in OEM speced D6 or use Amsoil type-f Super Shift ATF to reduce slip agents that create slip/heat/wear. I ALWAYS cocktail type-f in the mix 2 to 3 qts per 8-10 full system flush.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Safer how?

I meant that if the manual specifically states to use Dex III then go with M1 because it specs out like Dex III (Dex III compatible, says so right on the bottle). Maxlife specs out like Dex VI which is different. It would be like putting 0w20 in a motor designed for 5w30. It may work but may not be ideal.

I used both Mobil 1 ATF and Maxlife on a 98 Sienna. Shifting was no different with either fluid.

I use Maxlife in my 97 civic and shifting is fine.

Originally Posted By: rsleblanc
Put castrol import multi in and like much better.

How many miles are on the car and how many drain and fills did you do ? Why not stick to Castrol and if necessary, do a few add'l drain and fills. I know you said you didn't like the shifting in cold weather so maybe a more thorough replacement will resolve that.

if your willing to spend Amsoil money i would go Redline, their site has recommendations + if needed you can call + talk to a real person during business hours if needed!!! rare these days!!!!!

Car has 98,000mi on it. I already did one d/f with mobil 1 atf a week ago. Shifts are already buttery smooth with just one d/f. I know that isn't good for the transmission. That's why I'm thinking of just sticking with the castrol. The shifts are a little firmer.

Last edited:
Car has 98,000mi on it. I already did one d/f with mobil 1 atf a week ago. Shifts are already buttery smooth with just one d/f. I know that isn't good for the transmission. That's why I'm thinking of just sticking with the castrol. The shifts are a little firmer.

Why isn't it good? That doesn't make sense, from what you've posted it looks like shift feel is paramount to you. If it's better with the M1 then why are you going back to Castrol?

Shifts are already buttery smooth with just one d/f. I know that isn't good for the transmission. The shifts are a little firmer.

Why isn't it good? That doesn't make sense, from what you've posted it looks like shift feel is paramount to you.

My understanding is that a "buttery smooth" shift is akin to really, really slipping the clutch in order to make shifts smoother. More clutch means more wear and the same applies with automatic transmissions to some degree.

A "firm" shift doesn't mean it makes a bang noise or slams into gear.

Get Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. On sale at AAP right now for $5/qt
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
My understanding is that a "buttery smooth" shift is akin to really, really slipping the clutch in order to make shifts smoother. More clutch means more wear and the same applies with automatic transmissions to some degree.

Because of what I learned here. Buttery smooth shifting = more slip = more heat.

Ahha I see, you think that might be detrimental long-term to the transmission. Well, I used M1 ATF for the first 300,000 or so miles in my Sienna and it is still working OK today. Recently though I changed to Maxlife just due to the cost.

If you are referring to viscosity differences shown on a PDS, those are misleading. Dexron III has poorer viscosity retention compared to dexron VI, that was one of the performance requirements for dexron VI. So even though dexron VI (and Maxlife) start off somewhat lower in viscosity they retain it better and end up in the same place after a short period of operation. Valvoline explained this about Maxlife in a letter:

Quote:
When the 6.8 cSt minimum specification was originally established in the 1980s it had to take into account that ATFs were formulated with lower quality base oils and additives than are available today. A 6.8 cSt minimum was needed to assure the viscosity remained sufficiently high while in use. In service, as simulated by the 20 hr KRL test, these oils shear down to between 4.8 and 5.2 cSt. Typical MERCON oils today continue to use the older technology. Conversely, MaxLife is formulated with synthetic base oils and the highest quality additives available today. Though it starts out at a lower viscosity it only shears down to 5.7 cSt in KRL. The greater viscosity stability, higher after shear viscosity, and superior chemistry of MaxLife means superior performance in MERCON applications.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4302236/Valvoline_Maxlife_Transmission

The shearing down is certainly an issue with conventional and semi-synthetics. But Mobil 1 ATF as well as RL and Amsoil ATF's are full synthetics. There aren't going to shear much at all...maybe up to 6-10% during a 20K-30K OCI. This still places them (6.5-6.8 cSt) well above where MaxLife LV starts out (5.8). The conventional that shears 40% during an OCI is something to watch. One Chrysler test done on typical Mercon V semi-synthetic showed 19% shearing....ending up around 5.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back