Mobil 1 SS too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if you guys think it is thin compared other oils. Looking to switch from castrol gtx to mobil 1, but worried about it being too thin, especially with the ls1, which likes to drink oil? From what I have read the ss is better than the tri-syn mobil 1?

quote:

Originally posted by ramair8:
Just wondering if you guys think it is thin compared other oils. Looking to switch from castrol gtx to mobil 1, but worried about it being too thin, especially with the ls1, which likes to drink oil? From what I have read the ss is better than the tri-syn mobil 1?

"Thin" is a relative term when it comes to oil. The LS1 and LS6 in Corvettes come from the factory with Mobil 1 5w30 in them. An engine that is prone to low-temp oil consumption will probably use more of the 5w30, 0w30, or 0w40 Mobil 1 than it would a 5w30 or 10w30 conventional oil, simply because those grades of Mobil 1 are "thinner" at low temperatures. However, while they are on the low side of 30wt for the high temp rating, they are still 30wt at an engine's normal operating temperature, and the 0w40 is a 40wt. Therefore, unless your engine consumes excessive amounts of oil at normal operating temperature, it should not use more Mobil 1 than it does other oils.

The only way you'll know for sure is to try the Mobil 1 in your engine and see how it does.

Been using M1 10W-30 in my 98 LS1 since 5000 miles, never had to add a single quart. since the warranty ran out I've been using M15W-50 because of frequent trips to the drag strip and autocross tracks. The reason many LS1's are so oil hungry is because a lot of them escaped from the factory with PCV systems that think oil tastes good. Anyway, this is just one person's experience. Maybee some other LS1 owners will post up so you can have more to go on. Just my .02
Bub

quote:

Originally posted by Bub:
Been using M1 10W-30 in my 98 LS1 since 5000 miles, never had to add a single quart. since the warranty ran out I've been using M15W-50 because of frequent trips to the drag strip and autocross tracks. The reason many LS1's are so oil hungry is because a lot of them escaped from the factory with PCV systems that think oil tastes good. Anyway, this is just one person's experience. Maybee some other LS1 owners will post up so you can have more to go on. Just my .02
Bub

Hey Bub, did your car ever had piston slap with the 10W30....if so, did the 15W50 help it. How do you like it, gas mileage, power, etc???
Thanks, Rick

Piston slap in the Z has been lightwith the 10W30 (got lucky) the 15W-50 only seemed to help a little bit, gas mileage seems unaffected. My 2500 HD on the other hand is a heavy slapper, haven't tried anything heavy in it for fear of losing the warranty.

[ December 16, 2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Bub ]

In a word, yes. This is really unfortunate since otherwise I believe it's a fine oil. I've noticed many posts here mentioning either a bit of piston slap or high consumption. I used M1 for 3000mi on one of my cars. High consumption yes but the wear numbers were great. Got Schaeffer's blend in it now. Considerably less consumption. We'll have to wait for analysis for wear.

Dear Customer:

Thanks for your request.

Mobil 1 0W-20 typical product data is not yet available.

The typical high temperature high shear viscosities (cP@150C, ASTM D 4683) of the Mobil 1 engine oils are as follows:

0W-30: 3.0
0W-40: 3.6
5W-30: 3.1
10W-30: 3.2
15W-50: 5.1

So at 150C under the conditions of the ASTM D 4683 test, Mobil 1 0W-30 has the lightest viscosity, although 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are all within 0.6 cP.

The reason Mobil 1 0W-30 delivers the best fuel economy of the Mobil 1 line is because it has been tested against and met a stringent
European fuel efficiency standard - M111 - that requires triplicate test passing.

MJRoe
Technical Support Engineer

Exxon Technical Support:1-800-44Exxon Prompt#3

Mobil Technical Support:1-800-Mobil25 Prompt #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back