Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 extended performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I jus want the best protection. And best protection on start up. Do these oils leave a film on the motor parts after shutdown?

The M1 has a little higher VI and is a pretty thick 30grade. Just stick with the M1 (regular)and you won't be sorry. Save the money for a nicer filter or a cup of good coffee.

The question is what OCI do you want? Either will do fine, both protect fine but EP is supposed to last longer. If looking for the max OCI, then do some UOAs in intervals up to the condemnation point of the oil, then back off so as to have a safety buffer.

Originally Posted By: chevytherealdeal
Like the title says which is better and what OCI do you recomend? O2 Chevy 5.3

chevytherealdeal,

In my 5.3 motor I use just plain Mobil 1 and go by what my OLM tells me when to do my OCI. If your trying to push once per year OCI then I'd go with the extended version and make sure the oil filter can go the distance.

In my mind I would never go anything farther than what my oil life monitor would tell me. That's just me.

Durango

You don't specify how you drive the car or even what car is involved, so it's a bit of a guessing game.
However, unless you have something really highly tuned or one of the badly implemented, heavy fuel diluting GDI engines, or you really beat the snot out of the thing all of the time, or you have really severe operating conditions, 6K is a piece of cake with any synthetic oil and probably most conventionals.
Does your car have an OLM?
If it does, you could just follow it for OCIs, secure in the knowledge that for most engines and most users, its calibration is pretty conservative.

I'm wanting to run like 6,000 mile oci. Can I go longer and be safe?

The 5.3 isn't hard on oil. I have one. m1 made the piston slap far worse than any other oil. When I quit using Amsoil I tried M1 5w-30 and the noise was so bad I thought something was broken. Since then I've tried many oils and the best oil in the 5.3 is PYB or German castrol. PYB 10w-30 in summer and GC in winter.

But if you are insisting on using M1 the regular m1 is guaranteed by Mobil for 10000 miles and the EP is guaranteed for 15000 miles.
A 6000 mile interval is achievable with a conventional.

Last edited:

Well, I've been doing 10K OCIs for 35 years with all types of M1 oil in all types of engines. 6K is just gettin started.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Well, I've been doing 10K OCIs for 35 years with all types of M1 oil in all types of engines. 6K is just gettin started.

Despite severe conditions ?

Too broad a statement for across the board application needs to be qualified within the given driving and operating conditions.

Here's the anal retentive answer.
A good conventional like Mobil 5000 is good for 5000 under moderate to severe use, 6500 under steady highway.
M1 is good for 10K under most conditions
M1 EP is good for 15K so the factory says

I use M1 European or castrol 5/40 formula in my BMW x5. they say its good for 15K under most conditions. I tried going the 15K and it just didn't feel right. So, first I changed the filter and just topped off at 7500... that didn't make me feel any better.

I now change my oil now in that car every 7500 miles with M1 Euro 0/40 or Castrol Euro. Am I wasting oil--- of course but it makes me feel like a good dad.
Why are you trying to snatch defeat from the hands of victory? Isn't your current/past plan working after 11 years?

In my other cars I use a good conventional and change every 5000 miles.

OH! and to actually answer your question 7500 using M1 or EP. Not at all scientific just a feel good strategy and it won't hurt anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: tig1

Despite severe conditions ?

Too broad a statement for across the board application needs to be qualified within the given driving and operating conditions.

In my case in all types of conditions. I realize that there are some examples( very few) where a a shorter OCI would be required, but the OP did not specify any of these conditions. I frankly haven't either where M1 oils wouldn't handle the requirements of the engine.

I run M1 5w20 in my Crown Vic and felt bad when I added a qt of Mobil 5000 5w30 to it during a road trip lol. I feel like I should deduct 1k miles because of it...

As always,it depends on your,unique,situation. Learn the basis on here,then apply them to your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back