Mobil 1 oil filter change???...

I recently picked up a Mobil 1 M1-212A oil filter for my 2016 CTS V-Sport...at the time, this was listed as the proper filter (from Mobil) for my car but I see that Mobil no longer lists this filter or any filter for my car...a check of Rock Auto and Walmart both show out of stock although Walmart shows this filter does fit my car...

I have since read that perhaps a better oil filter (recommended by the dealerships) for my car would be the AC Delco UPF-63R Delco Gold and is in fact what was on my car when I bought it (upcoming would be my first oil change since purchase recently)...

does anyone know if Mobil is either changing their filters again or getting out of the game???...anyone use this current M1-212A filter and found any issues with it that I should return the filter and purchase the AC Delco Gold filter instead???...

any help would be appreciated

Bill

Last edited:
they do for a regular CTS with the 3.6 but I have the twin turbo LF3 engine...they don't show a listing for that engine I can find on Mobil's website

Bill

thanks for that link...

I guess what I am asking is that Mobil no longer lists their own filter as a replacement filter for my car and I have one of their filters...should I return it and buy something else or just carry on with the Mobil filter I have as it at least used to be the correct replacement for OEM...

I am just wondering why Mobil (who has a marketing agreement with GM) would drop a filter that they make for my car without offering up a replacement filter...and mine isn't the only car that usually uses the M1-212A/PF63 filter

Bill

My local O'Reillys stocked all of the Mobil 1 oil filters in the past. I was recently in there, and they now have switched almost everything over to Wix Brand filters. There are few Mobile 1 oil filters left on the shelves, but I think it is mainly left over stock. It made me wonder whether Mobil is exiting the oil filter business entirely.

Mobil1 oil filters are expensive; perhaps an opportunistic price gauge. Any mystique via the Mobil1 name may have faded.

Ask the oldest timer at the desk if the Mobil1 filters moved. I bet they're "shelf poison".

I am just wondering why Mobil (who has a marketing agreement with GM) would drop a filter that they make for my car without offering up a replacement filter...and mine isn't the only car that usually uses the M1-212A/PF63 filter

This sounds like consolidation on the part of the filter manufacturer. As corporations buy up filter makers this will be the case.

does anyone know if Mobil is either changing their filters again or getting out of the game???...anyone use this current M1-212A filter and found any issues with it that I should return the filter and purchase the AC Delco Gold filter instead???...
I guess what I am asking is that Mobil no longer lists their own filter as a replacement filter for my car and I have one of their filters...should I return it and buy something else or just carry on with the Mobil filter I have as it at least used to be the correct replacement for OEM...
Why are you worried that the reason why Mobil no longer makes a filter for your car is because there is something wrong with it? Why would wanting to return the one you have be your first reaction?

It's an oil filter. Use it up and get something else next time.

I just simply wouldn't pay more than $4 for an m1 filter but to each their own. I'd get the delco or literally anything else like a super tech or fram orange can better yet. Filtration on the m1 makes it a hard pass for its price.

J I thought the same way, but in the end I bought the WIX. Good filter that seems well made. I just dont trust AC Delco any longer with all of the variances that they have had in design. Purolator would be my second choice.

I realize you can still find places to buy the M1-212A but my thought was why would Mobil discontinue that particular filter without replacing it or consolidating it with another one...?

thanks for your responses...I'd guess there is nothing wrong with the filter as is but it made me curious why Mobil would discontinue a filter when it appears they aren't going out of the oil filter business and why they would discontinue a filter without replacing that filter with something else if consolidation were the reason...

either way, I'll stick with an AC Delco UPF-63 filter as the dealership installed and has been recommended elsewhere for use in my 3.6 twin turbo engine...

thanks again everyone

Bill

Why are you worried that the reason why Mobil no longer makes a filter for your car is because there is something wrong with it? Why would wanting to return the one you have be your first reaction?

It's an oil filter. Use it up and get something else next time.
why would Mobil Oil, a huge company that has a marketing agreement with GM stop making a filter that fits many of the General's engines without providing an alternate oil filter...?...I dunno... I thought the internet was where you go to ask such questions and that's what I did...

I do thank you for taking the time to respond...(y)

Bill

I'm not a GM guy, but is this the same application where some Corvettes lost engines due to (IIRC) bypass pressure?

I agree if Mobil once specified the filter, but now does not thats reason to check it out. I could be worth a call or E-Mail to Mobil.

Agree - my strategy would be to use something else until I could figure it out (or just return the filter and use something else.

s'funny but I checked the Cadillac XTS V-Sport (similar engine detuned a little bit for FWD/AWD application) on Mobil's site and they still show the M1-212A filter as the proper filter but they show that they have no one selling this particular filter...

anyway the point is moot for me as I've returned it...since I have read at least at one time the filter was identical to the AC Delco UPF-63 filter I wonder if AC Delco will also discontinue the filter...

Bill

......anyway the point is moot for me as I've returned it...since I have read at least at one time the filter was identical to the AC Delco UPF-63 filter I wonder if AC Delco will also discontinue the filter...
Followed this thread and really could only comment on this last point. M1 has a new-ish manufacturer, went from Champ Labs to M&H Purolator now. That 'could' explain the scarcity of the specific M1 application noted. Afaik, Champ Labs is still the current maker of ACDelco filters. In other words, not seen info showing/stating any change in ACD manufacturer. That being the case, wouldn't expect to see the UPF-63 go away.

Back